Lip Licking

Hi All,

I was hoping someone out there has any ideas on how to stop a dog licking his lips?

Our boy Emilio has started licking his lips so much that they are becoming red raw, he has only started doing this recently (since he has had a grilfreind) and I am at a loss what to do (other than sit there and stop him from licking).

More info on his lip licking antics:-

Licks a different speeds depending on his mood, he is usually siting down when licking the most. At some stages he will rub his muzzle (usually just before and just after dinner)

Emilio is one of our house dogs (7 ATM) he is the oldest male living in the house, one other of the 6 is a male puppy (6 months). His lip licking stated to become more of a problem after having his first stud (about 6 weeks ago) - his mistres is not one of the 6 others in the house.

Any idea's would greatly appreciated.

It sounds like an allergy to me.......... the redness and muzzle rubbing......

I would be surprised if it was anything to do with being used at stud... although.. something different may have triggered the allergic response?

What else has changed from about that time?

Food, detergents,shampoo, plants in the yard,medications, collar material.. treats, new furniture,

Has he been to the vet? It sounds as if he is uncomfortable :laugh:

Hi Pesephone, thankyou for your post :-)

What else has changed from about that time?

Nothing has changed for Emilio, other than he is now a man (so to speak)

Has he been to the vet? It sounds as if he is uncomfortable :laugh:

We have been to the vet, he is on antihistime (tablets), and has had a dose of Advocate as well. I am sre he is uncomfortable, poor Mr Mo Mo's.

I was going to suggest antihistamines but he is already on them. Some dogs need to be tried on a few different antihistamines till one that works is found.

Perhaps it has become a habbit. I would probably spray him with a water bottle when he starts to stop him.

Try some paw paw ointment to sooth.

What sort of bowls do you use? Does he have any new plastic toys?

It's possible he started licking for whatever reasons with the bitch around - maybe being anxious etc, and irritated them a little bit and thus kept licking. He might be licking them now because they are sore and inflammed and is just making them worse, similar to a lick granuloma. He might need some anti-inflammatories to take the irritation away and hopefully stop the cycle.

I would be suspicious of either licking due to anxiety (changes in social situation or dynamics etc) or something causing an inflammatory reaction (environmental allergens, contact reactions to plants / chemical / plastic food bowls etc). The other common cause of licking is nausea but generally I would expect to see some other systemic signs that this was the case. As others have mentioned, continued licking may be secondary to inflammation and possibly pain

If there is severe inflammation it may require antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications as well.

Here is what Emilio looks like wth his sore lips, poor little possum (he has big lips normally so they ae not swollen, although it looks like they are - that's his normal lip size :-)

post-13328-1244440324_thumb.jpg

I know this might sound odd but lick lipping is a calming signal, do you think it could have something to do with that?

Do you mean he is calm, or trying to get calm?

I was going to suggest antihistamines but he is already on them. Some dogs need to be tried on a few different antihistamines till one that works is found.

Perhaps it has become a habbit. I would probably spray him with a water bottle when he starts to stop him.

Try some paw paw ointment to sooth.

What sort of bowls do you use? Does he have any new plastic toys?

I think it could possbily be habbit, where can I get paw paw ointment from?

We use Stainless Steel & Concrete Bowls. They have hundreds of toys (literally they have a huge toy box full which they manage to scatter around the house daily - I am trying to teach them to put them away when they have finished playing with them - fat chance), they have not had any new toys for about a month (which Burger is very upset about, as she usually gets a new toy a least once a week)

I would be suspicious of either licking due to anxiety (changes in social situation or dynamics etc) or something causing an inflammatory reaction (environmental allergens, contact reactions to plants / chemical / plastic food bowls etc). The other common cause of licking is nausea but generally I would expect to see some other systemic signs that this was the case. As others have mentioned, continued licking may be secondary to inflammation and possibly pain

If there is severe inflammation it may require antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications as well.

I am concerned that he may be alergic to something outside. I don't think he feels sick, as he seems pretty happy about life in general. I'll have a chat to my vet (who is absolutley the BEST) tomorrow and see if he can change the antihistamine he is on, and also if I can get some ani-inflammtory medicine for Mr Mo Mo's.

Thankyou all very much for your responses, they are very much appreciated - Mr Mo Mo's sends you all a special kiss :thumbsup:

post-13328-1244440405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boxberry