Dog Strangles

Hi,

I have a puppy Aust Cattle Dog who arrived at 9 weeks with sore eyes and was originally diagnosed with conjunctivitis. It progressed to baldness around the eyes and part of forehead. Another diagnosis was possible demodex mange. After a period of time puffiness of the face increased and swollen lips and general appearance. Glands in throat also swollen. Dog otherwise fit, happy and healthy. Puffiness increased and she suffered an anaphalatic (spelling?) episode where her whole face blew up really badly. My vet after seeing her last week now thinks she may have Dog Strangles or Juvenile Cellulitis. Am waiting for biopsy reports tomorrow.

Does anyone have any personal knowledge/experience regarding this rare but nasty disease?

Does your puppy have pustules/boils on his face?

In my last litter had 2 puppies come down with strangles. The first one got it at only 6 weeks of age and sadly had to be put to sleep at 12 weeks, the cortisone severley weakened her already weak immune system and allowed another disease to take over

Then Henrietta, after her 12 week vaccianation, also developed puppy strangles. It was a tough battle for Henri, thought she would die, but she eventually recovered and has just had her first birthday. The cortisone did stunt her growth, I think she took it for around 2.5 months and she had a big growth spurt as soon as she was weaned off it but is still very small.......she now has multiple joint problems :thumbsup:

I will look for a couple of pics.......

Does your puppy have pustules/boils on his face?

In my last litter had 2 puppies come down with strangles. The first one got it at only 6 weeks of age and sadly had to be put to sleep at 12 weeks, the cortisone severley weakened her already weak immune system and allowed another disease to take over

Then Henrietta, after her 12 week vaccianation, also developed puppy strangles. It was a tough battle for Henri, thought she would die, but she eventually recovered and has just had her first birthday. The cortisone did stunt her growth, I think she took it for around 2.5 months and she had a big growth spurt as soon as she was weaned off it but is still very small.......she now has multiple joint problems :thumbsup:

I will look for a couple of pics.......

Hi KJ

No pustules or boils to date thank goodness! I am very concerned over cortisone medication but gather there is no other remedy. She is already small for her age. She is now 5 months.

Hi KJ

No pustules or boils to date thank goodness! I am very concerned over cortisone medication but gather there is no other remedy. She is already small for her age. She is now 5 months.

I am sure that strangles is usually accompanied by boils/pustules. Cortisone is the treatment for strangles but if your pup has had issues since 9 weeks of age and is now 5 months old, I would seriously doubt strangles because if not treated your pup would be lucky to still be alive. Strangles is such a horrible condition :thumbsup:

Here is Henrietta at her worst...........

547368649_nQ9r9-L.jpg

547368594_NiYcg-L.jpg

And now aged 1......

547368586_2L4Rn-L.jpg

Oh KJ your poor baby!

I'm so glad all is well now.

My little girl's eyes were looking somewhat similar to your pup, but when she had her anaphalactic episode she was given a shot of cortisone and because of possible allergy has been on a low maintenance dose of prednisolone since which has probably been her saviour. I hate cortisone but when it's the only remedy what can I do.

I get the test results tomorrow so I've got my fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your help.

I'll hunt out a photo or two and see if I can upload them. I'm not an expert on this site though!

Oh KJ your poor baby!

I'm so glad all is well now.

My little girl's eyes were looking somewhat similar to your pup, but when she had her anaphalactic episode she was given a shot of cortisone and because of possible allergy has been on a low maintenance dose of prednisolone since which has probably been her saviour. I hate cortisone but when it's the only remedy what can I do.

I get the test results tomorrow so I've got my fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your help.

I'll hunt out a photo or two and see if I can upload them. I'm not an expert on this site though!post-17336-1244452168_thumb.jpg

OMG :laugh::(:) BIG TIME... what a gorgeous little ACD.

Can't really help, but she is so lovely and hope you get a resolution soon.

FWIW, Chloe had an 'episode' last year where her throat, neck, face etc swelled up big time, her face, top of head and her cheeks under her eyes became lumpy, she had difficulty eating and drinking - thought to be an allergic reaction to something and treated accordingly. She's had one other similar attack since then (around the same time a year later) and we still don't really know what's causing it. There are medications that can help that don't contain cortisone - I know this because Chloe has Cushings disease and can't be treated with anything that has cortisone. They order a special medication in for her.

Best of luck with your beautiful girl.

Thanks Kelly-Louise

Vet still hasn't got test results back - it's driving me crazy! I hope he has them tomorrow.

She is a darling little girl and we love her very much. And of course being an ACD she is a tough kid and will overcome come what may.

Oh man, she is too CUTE! :):love::):love:

Hope she is feeling better soon, keep us posted on any news zoezoom. I have found these forums invaluable in terms of being able to share stories and get support. :)

PS. More pics please! :thumbsup:

And of course being an ACD she is a tough kid and will overcome come what may.

Amen to that - there are none bred tougher than the ACD... but then, I'm TOTALLY biased (but also have living proof). :thumbsup:

Here's hoping for some answers for you today.

I had a dog have this exact reaction to a C5 vaccination, she did end up getting demodex though.

However the first signs were loss of hair around the eyes, grossly swollen head & neck, i suspected puppy strangles.

Skin scrappings were negative for demodex originally.

A week later after swelling had subsided with anti-histamines (sp) the demodex hit and then lost hair on the face & legs and we had a positive skin scraping.

I believe the demodex was an after effect of the lowered immunity from the C5 reaction that occured.

Edited by stacyk

Stacyk........I remember you posting about your puppy, it does seem similar to what Zoezoom's puppy is going through. How is your puppy now?

Any results yet, Zoezoom? Cute puppy photo! Going on that photo and the symptoms, I would be very surprised if it is puppy strangles.

Stacyk........I remember you posting about your puppy, it does seem similar to what Zoezoom's puppy is going through. How is your puppy now?

She is great now, never relapsed (and I must say all your info was so helpfull!).

Would be interested to know if your puppy Zoezoom has been immunised recently?