Treats For A Beagle With A Short Attention Span

artimus'mama

Hi there all beagle lovers!

I have a gorgeous – and I mean gorgeous the same way everyone else’s pups are just the most gorgeous thing in the world – 3 month old Beagle. She is hyper active, can’t sit still always wants to play and loves a belly rub. none of which I have a problem with because she’s just a pup and we are teaching her patiently what is acceptable and what is not. And she gets it! Although sometimes chooses to ignore it. We’re working on it.

The only thing that I am having trouble with are treats to keep her entertained. smoked treats get her for hours but I am hesitate in giving her too many due to the sodium content. she has no interest in raw hide and raw bones are a bit so for her. She likes them but nothing gets her like a smoked treat. Nyla bones and etc don’t give her a ‘reward’ of some sorts so he gets bored once she’s determined that its hers. She just bores easily if there isn’t really anything she’s working towards – and as a Beagle the goal is generally a food reward.

Any suggetions? Carrots?

Possibly getting toys (kongs, balls) etc that you can put treats in, maybe she would then see it as a challenge and would keep her entertained for longer? Just a suggestion :D

I like to use soft treats like boiled chicken, left over steak or roast, sausage, kabana, cheese etc.

I also use the Happy Paws training treats which are great to have on stand by for the times I don't have any soft meat:

http://happypawstreats.com.au/home.cfm

GSD's 4EVER here on the forum makes them :D

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=156602

Also remember to keep training sessions short - puppies do not have a long attention span. I wouldn't be doing more than 5-10 minutes of training at one time.

Treat dispensing toys, KONGs, Tug-a-jug, treat balls, etc. You can put just about anything in the KONGs - yogurt and fruit/veg, chicken necks, kibble, peanut butter, whatever your dog likes.

The Tug-a-Jugs are really good for dry food. You can fit about 2 cups in the small one and can feed her entire meal in there. That way she gets to work for her food.

http://www.petsunleashed.com.au/Product/tug-a-jug-small

Buster Cubes are supposed to be good too :cheer:

You could also try hiding some treats for her around the house or yard, kind of like a treasure hunt.

I found Busy Buddy toys recently - and they proved to be very popular with some of my older puppies.

There are some in the range, shaped like dumbells that you can put kibble in each side and the dog spends ages trying to chew the toy to get the kibble out.

Mine even like them without the kibble - the rubber seems to be very desireable in itself and they are tough too, which is a bonus around my lot.

They are imported by Pet Pacific P/L in Penrith NSW so that may help to locate them near you.

Doh - just realised I thought the OP meant treats in general :cheer:

You can buy things like the everlasting treat ball from the vet n pet direct website, raw bones are also good to give her something to chew on. There are 100s of things you could stuff a kong with to keep her entertained as well.

We give our beagle frozen chicken wings and chicken necks - at 3 months we gave her frozen necks and introduced wings later on. We also feed all meals from a kong or treat ball

When the weather is warmer, freeze a chicken neck (or two) in a butter container or ice cream container to make a 'chicken neck-sicle" - keeps a pup occupied for quite a while :cheer:

I also use the Happy Paws Treats huski mentioned in a treat ball now

ETA: Carrots are good too, but I usually watch her with those

Edited by gills

my pup loves pig ear, deer ears. anything like that. I also have biscuit treats that help out his teeth.

what biscuit treats do you use? I have been looking for some but they seem to have poor ingredients like by products and corn meal ..... So the only dry food i give are the kibbles... but i want variety so any recommendations on biscuits would be fab.