Kennel Cough- Yuk!

My 2 labbies have contracted kennel cough :cheer:

At the moment they are on benedryl 3 times a day and also active Manuka honey, they dont seem to cough during the days, only early mornings when they wake up

Im trying to keep them as warm as possible.

Most threads seem to suggest to let them ride it out, the morning cough seems to be sounding no better though.

At what point should I see any improvement? Is it always a 21 day virus as suggested in other threads.

Is it worth a trip to the vet for meds or keep going with what i am doing?

Thanks muchly :rofl:

The vets will only put them on antibiotics for secondary infections. Only time i took my dogs to the vet was when Kaos lost a heap of weight and was looking really sick, the other few times i just let them ride it out.

If you do go, remember to leave them in the car and go in yourself, some vets dont like dogs with Canine Cough inside the office because of how easily it spreads.

Sash had a bout recently, and I did not take her to the vet as the AMH took care of it nicely. She did not get any gunky eyes or nose and seemed pretty well otherwise so we decided not to take her and traumatise her unless it looked like she had a secondary infection.

Good luck with your crew!

It's a virus, so antibiotics won't help unless they get an infection in addition to the KC.

I'd take them in if you were worried/ dogs breathing heavily/ they're getting worse, not better.

Look during the day you wouldnt know they were sick, still running around like no tomorrow causing grief, its just the mornings that are quite bad, no runny noses, no heavy breathing, just the bad cough first thing when they wake up and one seems to be bringing up mucus, but clear at this stage not an infected colour.

Keep us posted.

My two girls had KC when we were on the Gold Coast. We used to board them at a particular kennels so I am presuming that was where they got it from.

I didnt take them to the vet, they didnt get a secondary infection at all in fact they coped very well. They just had my loving care. Can affect younger and older dogs more so I was told

Early mornings especially in winter will make them cough more.

Hubby has just advised that youngest is now very lethargic and wont get out of her bed, think its time for the vets, she is getting worse

Lethargy is part of it, but if you are worried (only you can really see what's happening) then go to the Vets (if you haven't already been). Sometimes, I think a Vet visit is as much for our well-being (if not moreso) as for the dog's. Vets often put the dogs straight onto anti-biotics "just in case" (not that I agree with that, but that's my own personal pov). As mentioned here, anti-biotics aren't for the canine cough as it is a virus and not affected by them.

How is she now?

Edited by Erny

The problem with KC is the risk of secondary infection, which is why the antibiotics are generally given. Lethargy is usually only seen in the more severe cases or cases with secondary complications. I would take at least the lethargic one to the vet.

This is an exerpt from the Merk Veterinary Manual

"Etiology:

Infectious tracheobronchitis (Kennel cough) results from inflammation of the upper airways. It is a mild, self-limiting disease but may progress to fatal bronchopneumonia in puppies or to chronic bronchitis in debilitated adult or aged dogs. The illness spreads rapidly among susceptible dogs housed in close confinement (eg, veterinary hospitals or kennels).

Canine parainfluenza virus, canine adenovirus 2 (CAV-2), or canine distemper virus can be the primary or sole pathogen involved. Canine reoviruses (types 1, 2, and 3), canine herpesvirus, and canine adenovirus 1 (CAV-1) are of questionable significance in this syndrome. Bordetella bronchiseptica may act as a primary pathogen, especially in dogs <6 mo old; however, it and other bacteria (usually gram-negative organisms such as Pseudomonas sp , Escherichia coli , and Klebsiella pneumoniae ) may cause secondary infections after viral injury to the respiratory tract. Concurrent infections with several of these agents are common. The role of Mycoplasma sp has not been clearly established. Stress and extremes of ventilation, temperature, and humidity apparently increase susceptibility to, and severity of, the disease.

Clinical Findings:

The prominent clinical sign is paroxysms of harsh, dry coughing, which may be followed by retching and gagging. The cough is easily induced by gentle palpation of the larynx or trachea. Affected dogs demonstrate few if any additional clinical signs except for partial anorexia. Body temperature and WBC counts usually remain normal. Development of more severe signs, including fever, purulent nasal discharge, depression, anorexia, and a productive cough, especially in puppies, indicates a complicating systemic infection such as distemper or bronchopneumonia. Stress, particularly due to adverse environmental conditions and improper nutrition, may contribute to a relapse during convalescence. "

When my boy was a pup and contracted CC, he was a bit 'flat' (what others might call "lethargic") for a day. He was over the cough inside 24 hours and backing to bouncing bean status after 3 days. So I guess interpretation of "lethargic" would be important here.

For those that can't be certain, maybe having antibiotics prescribed would be a good thing :). However, I'm not one for administering drugs unless it is necessary and in the back of my mind retain the concern of building resistance to the over (and unnecessary) use of antibiotics.