Is It O.k To Mix A Super Premium Food With A Lower Quality Food

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is o.k to mix foods in terms of the dogs still getting "A complete and balanced diet?"

My 7 month old staffy pup has been fed Advance puppy growth since she was 3 months old and the whole time she has had VERY smelly farts and her faeces has varied between soft and formed or soft and not too well formed. I just put it down to her being a "smelly" dog. However 2 weeks ago I acquired a 7 month old Bullmastiff x Great Dane boy who was being fed "Woof Bix" which is available from Big W. He had good solid faeces and didn't smell at all, I switched him to Advance Large/Giant breed Growth using the correct transition period of 4-5 days and now he does smelly farts and poo with the same consistency as my staffy :(:love:

Both dogs sleep in their beds beside my bed and the farts are suffocating me :laugh: also picking up soft sloppy poo is fairly gross :thumbsup: I want to ensure my dogs are having a healthy balanced and appropriate diet for their respective breeds and age etc so I am thinking to get some woof bix and feeding them whatever ratio of this and the advance to harden up their poo and reduce the farts. Does anyone have any experience or advice re this? (both dogs are up to date with worming and flea control and are desexed and they do not get any other food)

Thanks

Laylatheprincesss

If you thik it's the Advance causing the problems then there's no point mixing it with any other food. Mix it while you change to an alternative dry.

You could also switch them over to a basic raw diet or chicken wings, carcass, necks or whole chicken, roo tail, lamb flap, lamb necks, beef brisket, rabbits and add things like sardines, eggs, a bit of cheese, vegies and some fruits. You don;t need to make up barf mixes or go to a lot of trouble to feed raw, buy it in bulk and freeze it.

I tried my staffys on advance when they were younger and they wouldnt touch it. They are now on Eagle Pack Power and love it. My mum feeds her german shephard dog on woofbix and he seems to do well on it.

Try adding bones and chicken frames to there diet. they will love you for it

I tried my staffys on advance when they were younger and they wouldnt touch it. They are now on Eagle Pack Power and love it. My mum feeds her german shephard dog on woofbix and he seems to do well on it.

Hi

I have read about eagle pack and it sounds great but where can I get it? I thought it was an american brand and not available here in Australia? I would love to feed woof bix cos it is cheap as chips and it doesn't have any artificia;l flavours or colours but I was worried about the quality in terms of having growing puppies particularly the large breed boy, which is why I chose a super premium food.......

There is a lot of other super premium foods available like: Royal Canin, Artemis, Nutrience, Eagle Pack.

People on budget recommend Great Barko or Uncle Albers (these two are made in Australia) :thumbsup:

get a large breed puppy food like Royal Canin or Eagle pack for them both, supplement with carcasses, wings, lamb flaps etc

do a gradual change and give it a couple of weeks before deciding if the food works or not

I have read about eagle pack and it sounds great but where can I get it?

Contact them on 1300 8 Eagle and they'll be able to inform you of a stockist closest to you. They have an Australian website, but all the information (eg. stockists etc) isn't complete yet.

What are the ingredients in Woof Bix? I can't find it online anywhere (maybe I have the "search dumb" today though!)

Clearly the Advance isn't good with your dogs, and there are much better foods out there - look for foods that don't contain corn or large amounts of cereals -

Eagle Pack is great, you can get it form this web site, among manyother in Oz http://www.petdeli.com.au/cms/

Gomez gets Eagle Pack Holistic and that gets supplemented with items form the list PPS posted above

Hi

I have read about eagle pack and it sounds great but where can I get it? I thought it was an american brand and not available here in Australia? I would love to feed woof bix cos it is cheap as chips and it doesn't have any artificia;l flavours or colours but I was worried about the quality in terms of having growing puppies particularly the large breed boy, which is why I chose a super premium food.......

Some produce stores sell it. It depends on who are the contributors for Eagle Pack. You will just have to ring around and ask .

I would not mix feeds.

Dry food is analysed to ensure it is nutritionally balanced when fed at correct daily recommended intake.

Mixing it with another food can result in the diet being unbalanced.

I would not mix feeds.

Dry food is analysed to ensure it is nutritionally balanced when fed at correct daily recommended intake.

Yes that is what I was worried about, it seems the more research etc I do the more confusing it gets...........guess i will just have to try a couple of different good quality foods until i find one that agrees with them........i was looking on a dog food review website which rated foods from1 through to 6 star, 6 being the best and advance was a 1 star!!!!!!!! Was a bit shocked about that cos it is sold at the vet clinic and classed as a "super premium quality food!!" so yeah.... i now have more of an idea what i do and don't want in a food re ingredients and how to read the ingredient listing so will now start experimentng :p wish me luck and thanks to everyone for your input

I would not mix feeds.

Yes that is what I was worried about, it seems the more research etc I do the more confusing it gets...........guess i will just have to try a couple of different good quality foods until i find one that agrees with them........i was looking on a dog food review website which rated foods from1 through to 6 star, 6 being the best and advance was a 1 star!!!!!!!! Was a bit shocked about that cos it is sold at the vet clinic and classed as a "super premium quality food!!" so yeah.... i now have more of an idea what i do and don't want in a food re ingredients and how to read the ingredient listing so will now start experimentng :p wish me luck and thanks to everyone for your input

Good luck!

I do think there are better foods out there than Advance :laugh: In terms of ingredients, Artemis and Evo are the best dry food available in Australia.

What are the ingredients in Woof Bix? I can't find it online anywhere (maybe I have the "search dumb" today though!)

Clearly the Advance isn't good with your dogs, and there are much better foods out there - look for foods that don't contain corn or large amounts of cereals -

Eagle Pack is great, you can get it form this web site, among manyother in Oz http://www.petdeli.com.au/cms/

Gomez gets Eagle Pack Holistic and that gets supplemented with items form the list PPS posted above

Woof bix is from Big W the good things about it are that it has no artificial colours or flavours...the reason I am wanting to give it a go is because when I got Zeus (big boy) he had been getting fed it and rice or pasta, his poo was solid and good consistency, not smelly, he didn't fart etc and he was a nice weight and looked and appeared fit and healthy.......the reason I am hesitant is because it is from Big W and is cheap, the bottom line is this fandangle EXPENSIVE Super Premium food they are on makes them STINK and have too soft poos.......will check out the ingredients today, lots of other posts I have read from people on different forums are happy with it and say their dogs have no probs, in fact I haven't read a negative review as yet, unlike ALL of the expensive brands...................anyway........more research and experimentation I guess

I would not mix feeds.

Good luck!

I do think there are better foods out there than Advance :laugh: In terms of ingredients, Artemis and Evo are the best dry food available in Australia.

I know! I have tried to get on to Artemis's website cos it sounds great and has awesome reviews but no luck, will keep trying though, will also look into Evo, thanks again

layla, come back and tell us what the ingredients are, I'm really curious now - most foods tell you up front, this one, I still can't find!

and yes, as you have concluded, read the labels as if it was food for yourself - research and find out what ingredientsyou do and don't want your dog to have and then go from there

You can get more info about Artemis here

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/

For your large breed pup I strongly recommend the Large breed puppy one :(

You can get samples of Artemis to see if your dogs like it. I know some people here will come and say Eagle Pack or RC are better though.... :laugh:

I think Artemis has superior ingredients and I know heaps of dogs and pups (even large breed) doing great on it :cheer: (definitely better than on RC :cry: ).

Again it's the matter of what suits your dogs best :p

Edited by laffi

I used to have mine on Advance and they although they loved it, they didn't do that well condition wise. I now feed Eagle Pack Holistic to my old boy and Eagle Pack Power Blend to my young girl and both are looking great :p In the end though, it is all about personal preference and what works for you.

I also supplement my dry food with chicken carcuses, brisket bones, sardines etc