Is This Normal For A 6m Old Staffordshire Bull Terrier

NJSTAFFY?????

He looks like an American Staffordshire Terrier to me, especially when I look at the ways the ears fold. English Staff's ears - the fold is quite tight, whereas the Am Staff ears fold is looser and doesn't overlap quite as closely. His height and weight would be ok for an Am Staff but he seems to have too much bone/height for an English Staff.

THANK YOU

you seem to know what you are talking about

his father is a very big boy his mother had a bit more legs on here

so thank you

You said you hadn't seen his father.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU

you seem to know what you are talking about

his father is a very big boy his mother had a bit more legs on here

so thank you

You do realise that ASTs and Staffies are two different breeds, right? That still makes him a crossbreed, not pure staffy.

ETA: And I would suggest that people like PPS who are Stafford breeders know what they are talking about :)

Edited by huski

The breed standard is worth a read, in particular the heights and weights

Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed Standard

Kennel Club, London 1994

F.C.I. Standard No 76

GENERAL APPEARANCE - Smooth coated, well balanced, of great strength for his size. Muscular, active and agile.

CHARACTERISTICS - Traditionally of indomitable courage and tenacity. Highly intelligent and affectionate especially with children.

TEMPERAMENT - Bold, fearless and totally reliable.

HEAD AND SKULL - Short, deep though with broad skull. Very pronounced cheek muscles, distinct stop, short foreface, nose black.

EYES - Dark preferred but may bear some relation to coat colour. Round, of medium size, and set to look straight ahead. Eye rims dark.

EARS - Rose or half pricked, not large or heavy. Full, drop or pricked ears highly undesirable.

MOUTH - Lips tight and clean. Jaws strong, teeth large, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

NECK - Muscular, rather short, clean in outline gradually widening towards shoulder.

FOREQUARTERS - Legs straight and well boned, set rather wide apart, showing no weakness at the pasterns, from which point feet turn out a little. Shoulders well laid back with no looseness at elbow.

BODY - Close coupled, with level topline, wide front, deep brisket, well sprung ribs; muscular and well defined.

HINDQUARTERS - Well muscled, hocks well let down with stifles well bent. Legs parallel when viewed from behind.

FEET - Well padded, strong and of medium size. Nails black in solid coloured dogs.

TAIL - Medium length, low set, tapering to a point and carried rather low. Should not curl much and may be likened to an old fashioned pump handle.

GAIT/MOVEMENT - Free, powerful and agile with economy of effort. Legs moving parallel when viewed from front or rear. Discernible drive from hindlegs.

COAT - Smooth, short and close.

COLOUR - Red, fawn, white, black or blue, or any one of these colours with white. Any shade of brindle or any shade of brindle with white. Black and tan or liver colour highly undesirable.

SIZE -

Weight: Dogs 12.7-17 kg (28-38 lbs) at withers

Bitches 11-15.4 kg (24-34 lbs) at withers

Desirable Height: 14-16 inches

(these heights being related to the weights)

FAULTS - Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree.

NOTE - Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Terrier Group A.N.K.C. © January 1998

my first staffy tyson pure breed with papers full weight was 36kgs in prime at 4 years old his height was 18"

photos above when he died he was 9 1/2 y old weight was 35kgs

I'm sorry - I find it impossible to even imagine an 18 inch Staffordshire Bull Terrier weighing 36kg "in prime" IMO he would have been grossly obese or a cross bred to weigh much more than 25kg at that height, at at 25kg he would have had to have been hugely over boned to be a pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Your new puppy does not look like a pure bred Staffordshire Bull Terrier to me and that has nothing to so with his size.

my first staffy tyson pure breed with papers full weight was 36kgs in prime at 4 years old his height was 18"

photos above when he died he was 9 1/2 y old weight was 35kgs

Did Tyson's papers say "American Staffordshire Terrier" or "Staffordshire Bull Terrier", Nicole?

They're two separate but related breeds, the AST is quite a bit bigger and leggier than the SBT. 36kg is about twice as big as most purebred SBT, but could be quite normal for a large male AST.

It's pretty easy to get the two breeds mixed up, especially since some people refer to them both as "staffies".

Like most other posters have said, there's really no way of knowing what your new boy is without getting papers from a registered breeder, though either way, he's still pretty darn cute. :banghead:

Edited by Staranais

To answer your question: No, its not normal for a registered, purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier to be inches and kilos outside the adult breed standard as a pup.

A highly experienced SBT breeder doesn't think your dog is purebred. I think PPS just might know what she's talking about too.

Have a good look at his muzzle, Tysons muzzle and then read the breed standard. Staffies are meant to have tight lips. Tyson did. Your dog has quite a bit of flew. If you're wondering why people are saying possible Boxer or Bullmastiff, along with being larger dogs, compare your pups muzzle to those two breeds. Same shape there.

If mum was a purebred SBT, there's some other bull breed or cross in the mix IMO.. possibly American or Aussie Bulldog ?? (not that these are recognised breeds).

Just out of interest, was he teething when those photos were taken? What do you feed him?

Edited by poodlefan

Wow 36 kgs? That is Amstaff size, not Stafford.

lol 36 kgs is heavy for an AST too...

That pups not a pure SBT pup and it doesnt look AST either...It looks Bull mastif cross SBT to me, but then u claim " you know" what it is so no point giving u my opinion....

36 kilo 19 inch SBT :rofl:

I would listen to peoples advice... I thought the head looked a bit like a bullmastiff.

Did you get him from a registered breeder? If so I would be asking why your dog is very different from the standard .

YEP I DID AND CHASING UP THE BREEDER A BULLMASTIFF IS A BIG DOG

THE BREEDER SOLD THEM AS ENGLISH STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS

SO IM NOT TO HAPPY WHEN HE WAS LITTLE HE LOOKED LIKE A STAFFY.

I GUESS I JUST GOT SUCKED IN BY A BREEDER

I would listen to peoples advice... I thought the head looked a bit like a bullmastiff.

Did you get him from a registered breeder? If so I would be asking why your dog is very different from the standard .

YEP I DID AND CHASING UP THE BREEDER A BULLMASTIFF IS A BIG DOG

THE BREEDER SOLD THEM AS ENGLISH STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS

SO IM NOT TO HAPPY WHEN HE WAS LITTLE HE LOOKED LIKE A STAFFY.

I GUESS I JUST GOT SUCKED IN BY A BREEDER

I don't think this is the kind of "breeder" most DOLers relate to. No such breed as an "English SBT" .. I think you were had. :laugh: I don't think SBTs come in fawn with black masks anyway do they? :laugh:

Enjoy him for the lovely dog he is but remember next time you want to buy a pup that only an ANKC registered pup that comes with a registered pedigree can be guaranteed to be purebred.

any guess on how big he might get ?????

At six months, he should have done most of his growing... but larger breeds grow for longer. At a rough guess, may be another inch or two??? His breed make up will play a part there.

I just took a good look at the feet - I think I know where you are headed with your comment PF. That aside - he has pretty big feet - usually a sign you will end up with a large dog.

Flat feet, down in pasterns I thought. If he's not teething, I'd be concerned about sufficient calcium intake.

What do you feed him NJ?

300g pet mince a day that be chicken or beef some times roo half breakfast half dinner

mixed with supercoat puppy kibble

4 chicken necks

200g stake or lamb off cuts

and my vet said to give him a lamb bone a day

plus he can help him self to the kibble