Is This Normal For A 6m Old Staffordshire Bull Terrier

NJSTAFFY?????

300g pet mince a day that be chicken or beef some times roo half breakfast half dinner

mixed with supercoat puppy kibble

4 chicken necks

200g stake or lamb off cuts

and my vet said to give him a lamb bone a day

plus he can help him self to the kibble

Personally, I'd strongly recommend that any "pet mince" you feed be chicken pet mince that includes bone. Is that what you feed?

I'd not be feeding any meat that isn't on or including bone. Meat without bone means too much phosphorus, not enough calcium. He's a big boy so you could feed chicken wings or frames instead of mince.. good for growing jaws. :( He can have beef or lamb ribs.. also good.

I also suggest that you not let him help himself to the kibble.. too easy to put on too much weight... never good for a growing boy. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with something better then supercoat - upgrade to a large/giant breed puppy formula at least by Advance, Royal Canin, eagle Pack etc and the rest of the diet is fine as long as the mince is not pure meat. Minced carcasses is better then human mince it is more complete.

He's a bit tubbier than I think is ideal NJ. See those rolls of fat around his neck.. he shouldn't have those.

Unless you can feel his ribs with the flat of your hand without pressing, he's carrying too much weight. As he's going to be a big boy, he's best kept lean.. less stress on a large frame.

the chicken pet mince has bones bit through it

the stake and lamb of cuts are of the bone i just cut it of the bone

and mix it in his mince and kibble

i was told supercoat was the best guess that was wrong

im also feeding supercoat adult to my 9 year old lab charlie is that good

There's better food than Supercoat around NJ but what's your budget like?

If you think your older boy is doing well on it, its probably fine. However bear in mind that dogs don't digest cereals so if cereal near the top of the ingredient list, most of what you're feeding is ending up on your back lawn.

If you head over to the Health/Nutrition/Grooming, you'll see so many threads on kibble that your eyes will fall out. :(

and nj is still teething the big back ones are coming through now

all the front ones in the past month

Cool.. lots of weird stuff happens when teething is on. All that stuff happening in the jaw seems to sap calcium from other areas so you sometimes see feet and pasterns flatten. That means they should perk up again. Vitamin C can help too.

Hi NJSTAFFY

Dont feel so bad about getting conned from this 'breeder', Mastiff pups (and of course mastiff x) can look a lot like staffies when they're babies. Especially if you dont know what to look for.

He will be a handsome dog no matter what breed he is... and if you don't want him send him over my way :(:laugh:

Oh and listen to PF and Nekhbet- there are much better foods out there than Supercoat, just depends on your budget.

yes i was pretty upset but i love him dearly and he is spoilt

but he is a very timmed dog

Timidity can be helped with confidence building exercises. If you don't take him to obedience training, I'd strongly recommend it - in addition to training a well mannered dog, it helps build a bond of trust and confidence in the handler.

PF im not shore what you mean about the teething thing

the back ones are just through the gums

When dogs teethe, it's a calcium intensive exercise. That can mean that calcium can be taken from other parts of the body to assist... and sometimes puppy feet flatten out when its happening. If you compare your boys feet to a lot of other dogs, his toes are flat, rather than tight and raised.. that can happen during teething.

Along with spastic ears. :(

Edited by poodlefan

yes i was pretty upset but i love him dearly and he is spoilt

but he is a very timmed dog

Timidity can be helped with confidence building exercises. If you don't take him to obedience training, I'd strongly recommend it - in addition to training a well mannered dog, it helps build a bond of trust and confidence in the handler.

Agree.

Bear in mind with a timid dog that your role as pack leader is more important than ever.

Id agree with most and say bullmastiff x gorgeous!

Lots of naughty 'breeders' out there, i got conned myself. Im just glad you love NJ and arent too disappointed!.

If he is going to be a big boy, let him grow slowly, ie just enough food - not too much and same for exercise while his joints are growing and developing.

I have a large girl; that I was told was staffy x lab - she is more like a mastiff x and is 45 kgs - some bloody staffy mix I say :( luckily, like you I loved her anyhow, but have learned heaps on here so welcome!

Ill have him if you dont want him, but I bet ill have to fight hundreds off :laugh:

eta I too, have kids and my big girl is fantastic with them, make sure to include them in the training regime and pack order.

Edited by joelle

I just took a good look at the feet - I think I know where you are headed with your comment PF. That aside - he has pretty big feet - usually a sign you will end up with a large dog.

Yep, those feet are substantial.

He looks a lovely dog, but will be pretty big by the looks of him, the colouring suggests Mastif or Mastif cross perhaps in the father. I thought Amstaff too, but those legs are pretty solid even for an Amstaff?

So there is little doubt you have a large solid dog, with some timidity, it's good to hear you want to go ahead with the training, that is pretty important for all dogs anyway.

Oh, and don't feel too badly NJ, I once met someone with a huge Collie, it had been sold to her as a Miniature Collie, she loved it very much anyway and had kept him for many years, but was a bit of an issue since she lived in a home unit. :(

Edited by Muttaburra

Hi all!

Have just joined up.. So my first post.

NJ looks exactly like an American Staffy that was going to puppy school with my Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I am not sure if his owners had pedigree papers or not though so that doesn't really help any. There was also a couple at puppy school who had a bitch they claimed was a 16 week old pure English Stafford but obviously wasn't. While it did resemble a Staffy it was almost the size of a full- grown Staffy bitch and it looked like it had all adult teeth. I suspect that they were not only sold a Staffy X but they were also duped into believing the puppy they were buying was 12 weeks old when she was truely at least 6 months old. Given that when I quizzed them they said they had bought her at the local markets I wouldn't be suprised if the person selling her didn't even know the true age or identity of the dog. lol.

My puppy Marty is a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier with papers and both his parents while still being champion show dogs (his father an Australian Champion) where definitely on the large side for the breed. Marty is about a week off being 6 months old and weighs 13.5kg. I am not sure how tall he is. So yeah if NJ is 19" and 23kg at 6 months of age he is definitely not a purebred Stafford. At that size he couldn't even be a purebred American Staffy. Unless he is an American Pit Bull Terrier but he looks more like people are saying an American Staffy / Bull Mastiff.

As for kibble Supercoat is still a premium food but it is right at the bottom of the heap along with Science Diet and Eukanuba. If your dogs are doing well on it then this really isn't an issue. I feed Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice which is one of the best foods you can buy in Australia but when I was a child all of my dogs lived on table scraps and cheap supermarket brand canned food yet they all lived happy, healthy lives well into old age.

When dogs teethe, it's a calcium intensive exercise. That can mean that calcium can be taken from other parts of the body to assist... and sometimes puppy feet flatten out when its happening. If you compare your boys feet to a lot of other dogs, his toes are flat, rather than tight and raised.. that can happen during teething.

Along with spastic ears. :eek:

:thumbsup: This is prolly a really stupid question, but why to ears go spastic when they are teething?

Our 6 month old pups ears are possessed at the moment - today, she has one facing forward and one facing backward. It will be different tomorrow... one might be hanging down and the other might be sticking out sideways... :eek:

By the way, NJ is a very cute pup!

hi all

thank you to those who gave nice comments about NJ,

i have chased up his breeder both mum and dad are purebreed staffordshire bull terriers with papers

as to most of the posts and purebreed breeders told me i had a cross with bullmastiff i'm spending more money and having DNA testing

but as i am a distance from the breeder and i want to be there it will take some time

as for NJ's height my vet did it and he is just under the 18" mark just under ,so i was wrong

but as for his weight he is still 23kg i guess he is just on of those fandangled models

just have to wait and see