Snails?

Hi there :)

My 4 month old cavalier has a thing about collecting snails from the garden, bringing them inside and chewing them. I dont think she has actually ate one, but everytime she has one I get it out of her mouth straight away. I have heard this can be harmful, other say not. So im not sure. We dont have any slug/snail bait in the garden so that is not a concern.

Does anyone know anything more?

My pup likes snails too (shells mostly). Dogs are gross.

As far as I'm aware (but I'm no expert), it's okay as long as you don't have any snail bait around that they may have eaten. I'm like you though, if I see he has one I take it away and bin it.

ETA - I'd be concerned that they may be a choking hazard as well.

Edited by moosepup

My pup likes snails too (shells mostly). Dogs are gross.

As far as I'm aware (but I'm no expert), it's okay as long as you don't have any snail bait around that they may have eaten. I'm like you though, if I see he has one I take it away and bin it.

ETA - I'd be concerned that they may be a choking hazard as well.

Yeah, she starts to crunch the shell. Poor snail. I always tell her, she broke his home :)

I'd also be concerned about your neighbours laying snail bait, and the snails wandering into your garden. I'm not sure how long snails live after eating bait - long enough to wander next door?

Snails don't live long after eating the bait and it is unlikely a snail is going to wander far from a food source. If you are really concerned about the coming in from next door lay some saw dust along the fence line - the snails won't cross it as it dries them out.

Why shouldn't dogs like eating snails - people do and they like eating one of their relatives raw as well - oysters.