Signals Used In Obedience

Hi Folks

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site that lists the signals 'usually' used in obedience work at higher levels? Things like stepping off with the left foot to tell the dog to heel, and right foot to stay etc. I know these are conventions not rules, but thought they may be listed somewhere.

I only ask as we are down at CCD level now, and I don't want to develop habits that might mess us up later on in obedience if we get that far! For example, I've been concerned about my 'go free' signal (throwing both arms away from my body in an arc) and whether this might be used later for something like "go find the glove" etc.. (pardon my ignorance in this - my club is great, but we don't have many people that far through to ask questions to).

My advice is don't panic, dogs retrain very easily. Use whatever you want.

I do find it handy to use my left hand for stand command, as I think that occasionally dogs confuse a right handed stand signal with a down command.

I also use a totally different down command when facing my dog (as in Change of Postition and Distance Control in Open / Drop on Recall). My dog never gets confused with them, he knows they mean the same thing.

I do this to make it easier to train particular exercises like Drop on Recall.

The only rules regarding hand signals are that they be used in one motion, then return to your body, as not to be seen as a double signal. Also don't use them in a way that can be seen as physically guiding the dog into postition.

I do find it handy to use my left hand for stand command, as I think that occasionally dogs confuse a right handed stand signal with a down command.

I had to do this for one of my dogs - she's so quick to drop when she sees my right hand come out!

I agree with dogdude - don't stress too much! Though if you are interested in seeing what signals people use - watch some YouTube vids or go to a trial and have a look. It's probably easier than someone explaining their signals.

When I was learning I used to sit outside the open and UD rings and watch what other handlers did. It was very easy to tell the signals I liked and the exaggerated ones, and if unsure I asked a zillion questions. :)

I have to say that most handlers really exaggerate the down and stands signals almost like they are worried that the dog can't see them :thumbsup:

Edited by Ptolomy

Signals are very easily retaught should you run into a problem. I recently was told to change a couple of my signals to make it easier for both Zero and I. I went from using my left hand and a pointed finger to do a stand command (i started doing it when i was teaching him stand while i was still luring him and it just kind of carried over) and now i use a flat hand - Zero was confused the first couple of times but when he got it. I've also started giving him the down command with my right hand - again, a couple of moments of confusion but a strong verbal command with the new signal and he knows what I want from him.

It works for other things too - rather than have him move his front feet forward when he drops, i taught him to fold himself down into the drop so if he has to do a stand, then a drop, then a stand, he doesn't move forward and get out of position. I didn't realise how much cleaner it looked until i saw it last night. A couple of goes at getting him to fold himself into a drop and now he does it that way when he drops from a stand. :)

I

came probably find you some youtube clips of signals which are too exaggerated - I WAS known for them until I got beaten .

I tend to use only slight hand movements to the point that some judges pick up on it in a negative way, but it works for me. Most of those exagerated hand signal people have a lack of focus, so they try to compensate, further pointing out a lack of focus to the judge.

Embarrassed look... didn't think of using YouTube to look up doggy stuff... in my defence I am old!

Will have a look and stalk the UD and UDX rings at trials - good idea!

Relieved to hear dogs will learn new signals pretty easily - and if there is nothing prescribed (I've read the rule book and hadn't seen anything, but there did seem to be some standards from the few trials I've been to) so thought it safer to ask.

Exaggerated signals hey? Hmm... might need to focus on that a bit I think....

:laugh:

Exaggerated signals hey? Hmm... might need to focus on that a bit I think....

You can always exaggerate them in the beginning and then shrink them down. It's not a big deal, so don't stress too much!

One of the biggest one new handlers make is the drop command. Rather than just the hand signal, they also bend over a fair way as well. Especially those with smaller dogs. I do not know what lenency they give you in this regard.. I have hard either larger dogs or medium sized dogs. Similar for the stand command, they give a very wide/long signal.

Another I have been pinged for myself is when I do the stay and then recall. I walk away with my hands behind my back in a grasp. You get to the end of the ring and give the recall command (Both hands sweep up away from your body and then I used to clasp my hands in front of me). I was pinged for a double signal - I should have walked away with my hands infront of me, turned around, given the command then return myhands to where they were when I left the "stay" command. *Shrug*

Was only pinged the once.

I finish on a diferent foot for a halt (auto sit) to Drop or Stand, to save any anticipation/confusion of the dog.

Even though you are in CCD now, my recommendation would be to train yourself to the upper levels of obedience. It sets it in YOUR mind..so in the heat and stress of the moment, you don't slip back and give a unconscious signal to the dog confusing them. It keeps you pretty standard. It becomes second nature to you and frees your mind up for other things like breathing.... :laugh: