Help! With Being Over Protective

I may have to do a guick history for you so you know were hudson is coming from. He had only been home for 4 days when my oh had a op that went wrong witch meant he was home unable to work and this has been since new year a very strong bond developed between them and hudson became his rock when times were tough on him. Hudson always knows when he is in pain and wont leave his side. Well Hudson is going through his teens now at 7mths and has taken on the roll of protector. All our dogs get on very well but david has been in alot of pain the last few weeks and Hudson is now having a go at the dogs to keep them away from david .He and maya have had a few fights over the last few days over me and would you believe i came down very sick today. Im feeling very sorry for Hudson as he has taken on this roll. I can deal with DA dogs and have in the past but not sure on how to deal with this one and how to show Hudson its not his problem to look after us.

Any advice would be great.

I'm not a great believer in dogs 'being protective' unless they're a trained protection dog. As far as I'm concerned dogs that 'protect' their owners from other dogs are simply guarding a resource in much the same way that they'd guard food or a favourite toy. Obviously your OH has given Hudson a lot of attention during the last few months and I would say that Hudson wants to keep all that attention for himself and not share your OH (or you) with the other dogs. What you have is a spoiled brat who thinks he rules the roost and doesn't want to share. He's also at an age where he's beginning to mature and test the boundaries.

I would limit the dog's access to your OH and treat him exactly the same as the other dogs, chuck him outside and stop treating him as if he's special. Start him on the NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) program and follow it religiously. Putting him on TOT (pinned at the top of this forum) wouldn't be a bad idea either. The dog has to realise that he's just a dog and learn that his position in the household is below you and your OH, you are the boss of the household not him. At the moment he thinks he's it and a bit and is acting accordingly.

He's being possessive not protective. As Miranda has said TOT and NILIF are a good place to start. At the moment he is controlling the other dog's access to the resource which is your OH and you. He will actually probably feel a lot more comfortable in the house and settle down once you and your husband establish yourselves as stronger leaders. Your husband has probably taken great comfort from Hudson during his illness but unfortunately dogs don't always see it the same way as we do. Especially considering his young age you need to show him the rules before he becomes a teenage monster.

Edited by Jigsaw

I agree, treat a dog like a dog and they will treat you you like a human.

Hudson is most likely being overprotective as he feels he has to be the leader, take the pressure off him and show him who the leaders are.

Thanks for the replys i couldnt reply yeste to you as i ended up in bed.Its so hard to explain over a forum what hudson is doing. He is fine today and back to normal with me the only thing i think i could say to try and explain it is when david is fine and without pain he is fine and goes about his own day and dont care about what oh his doing with the other dogs and some days i find them all on the lounge cuddled up asleep. But we have days were oh cant take dogs sitting or laying on him and all the dogs know this and they wont ask too but they will go up to see if he is ok. Thats the time hudson will sit next to him to make sure they dont. I have had oh stay in the bedroom to see what happens and hudson will sit by the door all day and wont even move not even when the others go and try to get him to play. Oh was trying to call me one day as he needed me but i couldnt hear him and it was Hudson who came and got me to go to the room. I have started leaving him outside and you can see him listening out for any noise coming from oh and when he hears oh calling he will come to the gate and sit. Hudson tryed to help oh one day off the floor and into bed when he fell and then came and got me.

Hudson is very quick to learn and is no problem (except a peeing problem but we have that under control now)and will always look at us for direction if he is not sure if he is aloud to do something.Having a house full of staffords we run a very tight ship and they all know there place. I wish i could explain just what he is doing but i can only try.

I think he is taking the nanny dog saying alittle too far.

But we have days were oh cant take dogs sitting or laying on him and all the dogs know this and they wont ask too but they will go up to see if he is ok.

I know therapy dogs have an amazing sense of the human condition. They know when someone is sick, weak or in pain, and when approaching someone who has paralysis or weakness on one side they always know instinctively to go to the good side.

Having said that, it would be easier on the dogs if the rules were consistent. Either thay are always allowed up to lie on the bed or they never are. Allowing the dogs to make that decision lets the dog think they get to make other decisons, too, which is what Hudson is doing.

Thats the time hudson will sit next to him to make sure they dont.

In my household, no dog gets to play the 'traffic cop' role. That's my job, and I'd put any dog in its place who tried to resource guard me. My take on your situation is that Hudson is taking on way too much responsibility for leadership of his pack. Embrace NILIF and use the Triangle of Temptation in daily training.