Whinging Teenager

oceanaussi

Quentin is 18-months old and he hit puberty big time. The worst problem I have with him is his whinging. In the morning when I get up and he hears me, he starts whinging. I only take him out of the crate if he stopps. He used to sleep inside but due to his whinging this is no longer possible. He's with another dog he has bonded with. He whinges when he's inside with me or not getting his way/food or whatever it is he demands. I do not give in but he does not stop. When I say 'NO' he just looks at me. I sometimes wonder if he's actually aware of what he's doing. Any advice??? It's driving me nuts!

Quen's whinging has just started. he started originally when he was all weir just before we went to Hervey Bay. As he was fine there, I assumed he must have smelled a bitch on heat near my place. When I came back he was all good too. He sometimes had the odd whinge when he was outside wanting to come in or vice a versa. But now he whinges all the time but not like the first time when I think a bitch on heat was around. He whinges in the morning when he can hear that I'm awake (and he knows that without me saying anything or even getting out of bed). He whinges on walks sometimes, when he's inside, when he's outside, when he's with me, when he's with Hera - and it's getting worse!

Well, I've know heaps of Weis (but of the German kind) and none of them ever was whinging or sooky.

Does anyone have some construcitve advise? I have the feeling he doesn't even realise that he's doing it. But I certainly am not going to put up with 12-15 years of whinging!

I just replied in the Wei thread but maybe get him vet checked for any underlying issues?

congrates you have a typical wei.

I must have 'non-typical' Wei then - mine doesn't whinge at all!!!! Should I check the batteries or something???? :laugh:

I just replied in the Wei thread but maybe get him vet checked for any underlying issues?
congrates you have a typical wei.

I must have 'non-typical' Wei then - mine doesn't whinge at all!!!! Should I check the batteries or something???? :laugh:

I showed weis for years & ask any boarding kennel.There rep for being whingers is very high up the list & alot of kennels wont take them or will the first time with either a do not return or fine come back.

We havea 50/50 rate with weis.

The weis i handled where from different lines & different owners & they certainly can be serial whingers & that is one thing they do stress iwth the breed being very clingy to there owners .

Some of the weis we board are older rehomes & the reason is obvious ,there whinging & barking.

Is your older dog in good health?some dogs can pick up things so maybe he can smell something with Hera

The weis i handled where from different lines & different owners & they certainly can be serial whingers & that is one thing they do stress iwth the breed being very clingy to there owners .

Is your older dog in good health?some dogs can pick up things so maybe he can smell something with Hera

I know Weis a supposed to be clingy and have SA issues. Quentin would't care less if I'm around or not. He does whinge when I'm right next to him, so that can't be it.

My other dog is fine as well. She just started treatment on Cartophan and something against incontinence and behaves like a 5-year-old again.

If I would know the reason for his whinging and I could work towards it but I don't even know WHY he whinges...

OA, is it getting cold where you are? Could it be a change in the weather that has brought this on?

Does he seem to be sooking for you? Ie, does he stop when he's with you? Or is he just making noise for the sake of it?

Our Lab can be a whinger. Sometimes, I don't even think he's aware he's whinging; he just does it. I get the impression, with him, it's like a self-comforting thing...eg, if I can hear myself, then everything is okay!

I know what you mean about it being annoying. It's one of those sounds that can immediately get under your skin and drive you mad - and it's always worse when it's your own dog! Other people's dogs can whinge, and I don't even notice, but when it's mine, it's like waving a red rag to a bull :(

I wish I could offer advice on how to stop it. But like I said, I'm sure some dogs don't even know they're doing it, which makes it hard to train them out of it. I guess one suggestion could be to make him aware of the fact that he's doing it (if you're sure there's nothing wrong with him). Maybe using a clicker to reward him when he stops might help him become of aware of the fact that you'd prefer him to be quiet than whinging!

Isn't it frustrating?

No, I don't think it's the cold. It got a bit cooler but he wears a coat when he goes to bed and he whinges inside as well where it's warm.

No, I don't think he's sooking for me. At least not all the time. In the morning when I get up - possibly. Probably more sooking for his walk as he doesn't stop when I come out. He sometimes whinges when I'm right next to him.

I too have the impression that he's aware of his whinging.

I started using a water pistol and that showed some relief and there's not enough consistency as I cannot spray him while in the bathroom getting dressed.

I've had a couple of very talky male GSP's. Ruger aint so bad. I rekon its in the lines. Males seem to do it more :thumbsup:

I couldnt stop mine, except for saying BAHHH when they did it. If they winge in my garage during the day and I hear them, I bolt down the stairs or stomp to the door, and by the time I open it, they are on their beds with heads down.... I threw shoes or gumboots. :)