14 Week Old Puppy Diet

So I have had a few diet worries in my venture as a new dog owner. Oscar is now 14 weeks old and boy does time fly!

He currently eats:

Proplan puppy for breakfast, which he doesn’t love

Normally Wings or a carcass for lunch

Some kind of wet mixed with dry for dinner, mince meatloaf etc

I want to know is Royal Canine better than Proplan? I am unsure of whether it is best for his breed, and doesn’t appear to have a sensitive skin formula, which is what we want to put him on when he is an adult.

Also how many wings should I be giving him for lunch? I am pretty sure a whole carcass is plenty, but how many wings should he have? I gave him 3 today and he was looking for more? I also normally give him frozen carcasses, is this ok or not? I have cut out necks all together as they are gone too fast.

Any advice or help is much appreciated.

I consider it better it has less grain based products then proplan. Ihave my hideously sensitive rotty on RC and its the only food on the market that doesnt reduce him to a welted red stinking scratching mess.

give him as much as he needs, one carcass or 3 wings should be plenty at the moment but that should change quickly! You dont need much RC though I feed my adult dogue about 3-4 cups a day plus raw extras at the moment and he's fine. Its definately a better product IMO

Also how many wings should I be giving him for lunch? I am pretty sure a whole carcass is plenty, but how many wings should he have?

Check the weights and sort out and equal amount by weight then take away one wing as wings tend to be fattier than the carcases

The thing with wings is they go down quicker, the carcase takes a little while longer (well that's they way it works here with pups :thumbsup: ) that the longer the dog is chewing etc the more chance the brain has on catching up with the message that 'we've been fed". Same as people - apparently in people it takes 20 minutes? for the 'I'm full' signal to get from stomach to brain.

also normally give him frozen carcasses, is this ok or not?

Frozen's fine if it suits you to do it that way - slows them down & is much appreciated in summer too.

My amstaff is on RC (medium puppy) now and has been for about a week... pretty happy with it so far. He seems more full and he is not pooping as frequently as he was on supercoat... Although its a little expensive, its worth it as we don't need to feed as much as a lesser priced food... :thumbsup:

We havent tried chicken wings.... i am a bit worried about the bones and them getting stuck :)

I consider it better it has less grain based products then proplan. Ihave my hideously sensitive rotty on RC and its the only food on the market that doesnt reduce him to a welted red stinking scratching mess.

Which formula do you have him on? I think we will change as I do want to lower his grain intake.

Check the weights and sort out and equal amount by weight then take away one wing as wings tend to be fattier than the carcases

I am a bit unsure of what you mean here? I agree though with the "brain catch up" and he most definitely takes a lot longer on a carcass, usually the whole day :thumbsup: .

I have 2 stafford pups, both of them get 1 cup morning and 1 cup night. I feed them Royal Canin. The best thing about it is they don't fart. I also feed them bones during the week that sup a meal.

The GSD royal canin food is great for dogs with allergies, sensitive skins and tummies. If you have any particular concerns about the food, have a chat with a food rep at the company, they are very helpful and will direct you to the best food in their range for your dogs needs.

I just had a look at the ingrediamts for Royal Canin.

This is the first 5:

Maize, dehydrated poultry meat, L.I.P* vegetable protein isolate, maize gluten, animal fats, L.I.P* animal proteins, maize flour.

To me this doesn't seem good for a puppy and from what I have read about ingrediamts on DOL?

The above listed ingrediants seems to be from the australian royal canin site. Completely different on the united states site? Same brand but are different products? So does that mean people are talking about the us version of RC rather than the Australia?

The ingredients are different in each

royal canon formula. I.e medium junior is dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, wheat flour and maize flour. If you want grain free have a look at the Artemis web site. I have tried both and went back to royal canin. I thought my dogs condition overall looked better.

As the last reply said ' all Royal Canin' Formula's are different so you need to pick and choose. The Junior is good because it is dehydrated poultry meal and then fat. It's seems very good quality if you are feeding a kibble.

I have been feeding the Maxi Junior and the ingredients you list are the ones in it. Maize is corn, it is not a high allergy product. I have been back to the puppy food as his weight and muscle tone dropped recently but usually he ate Maxi (large breed) Adult formula.

Like I said I do not have an issue with it and my dog is hideously sensitive...

P6160016.jpg

this is what Eagle Pack did to him in a couple of meals. Whereas RC products are not an issue.

The GSD formula was not recommended to me as it is made for a different skin pH to help GSDs with some problems that crop up apparently. I have seen many dogs flourish on RC large breed puppy (in the blue and white bag with the GSD on it ironically hehehe)

I am a bit unsure of what you mean here?

Help if I took the extra d away? :thumbsup:

Check the weight of the chicken carcase, check how many chicken wings make up the same weight, take one away.

I agree though with the "brain catch up" and he most definitely takes a lot longer on a carcass, usually the whole day :) .

:cheer: I think your puppy is broken. A whole day to eat a chicken carcase - must be too well fed :cheer:

:) I think your puppy is broken. A whole day to eat a chicken carcase - must be too well fed :cool:

I do believe he is to well fed :laugh:, he doesn't eat as much as I thought he would. He seems to leave the carcasses and go back to them when a bit peckish, lol, it is most often in his little pile of things outside :rofl: .

I went and bought the RC large breed puppy (in the blue and white bag with the GSD on it), just before, so will see how he goes. It is quite a large kibble isn't it. Will see what he thinks of it for dinner, lol.

Thanks for the help! :)