Sarge's Teeth

Sarge and Madeline have been having bones for the past month (yay!), we started with lamb necks and have progressed to large chicken wings. It's been a bit of trial and error what with Sarge being a big gobbling guts, and finding the right bones to suit them :) . I've also gradually changed them over to a raw diet :laugh: (will update on that a bit later).

... here's the link to my previous thread with what was happening late may/early june (I've had Sarge since April) ... http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...168353&st=0

Sarge's teeth have improved, more in some areas than in others, but I think because he doesn't actually have a lot of teeth, he's only using certain ones to pull off meat and chew the bones.

Here are the before and after pics...

end of May

pics200201.jpg

July.. A bit hard to tell from the pics, but the plaque has lightened in most places.

sargeteeth3070911.jpg

end of May

pics201202.jpg

July ... again the plaque has lightened a bit but hasn't actually reduced the coverage.

sargeteeth3070922.jpg

end of May

pics200503.jpg

July... I'm really happy with the progress of his back teeth! They were just brown blobs before, but now there is actual tooth showing through!

sargeteeth3070933.jpg

So, do I continue with the raw food and bones for a bit longer, or book him in for a Dental? I was very hesitant to put him under G/A as he is 9 years old and the vet said to give him a couple of months with the same home dental routine as Madeline first.

He doesn't have a lot in the teeth department and I'd like to make sure that he will keep the ones he does have. A proper dental would give the vet a chance to have a really good look at them and bring them into ship shiny shape straight away. I think he should probably have one but I'm a big fat scaredy cat when I think about him having a G/A. I don't know why, he did fine when he was desexed shortly before I got him.

He saw two vets in May, one said yes, he definitely needs a dental asap, the other one was hesitant due to his age and recently having a G/A and wanted to wait (obviously that's what I wanted to hear).

I'd like some input please :thumbsup: If he was your dog would you book him in for a dental?

I've had many dogs come through my household in need of a dental, some have been changed dogs afterwards.

I don't think Sarge's teeth look as bad as many that I've seen but the thing is, when the vet gets in there properly, they can find it is worse than it looks. The problem with not doing a dental is that it is detrimental to the dog's health in other ways - same for people too. It can affect heart etc.

Sometimes no matter how good a diet is, some dogs are prone to bad teeth - maltese often are. I had an old dog that had to have a dental every year!

These days there are "light" anaesthetics that are much safer and used for dentals - just check with your vet!

Good luck!

Edited by dogmad

I don't think Sarge's teeth look as bad as many that I've seen but the thing is, when the vet gets in there properly, they can find it is worse than it looks. The problem with not doing a dental is that it is detrimental to the dog's health in other ways - same for people too. It can affect heart etc.

Thanks Dogmad. It was the other problems I was considering too, as in heart, liver,etc. He has a bottom pre molar that's still pretty grotty, and when he went to the first vet, one tooth was so rotten and loose, the vet just pulled it out with the forceps! That could be part of the reason she wanted to do a Dental straight away.

I will take him to both vets again next week and see what they say.

His teeth do look quite a bit better so well done on that!

As Dogmad has already said, they can have other serious health implications from NOT having there teeth done. If he is otherwise healthy, then he should cope quite well with anasthetic. My Stafford was done at around 10 and was fine. They can sometimes have even only one tooth that is really sore and have that fixed/removed can mean that they are sooo much happier. I have worked in the veterinary industry for quite a while and have seen many old and elderly dogs have high risk GA's and recovered really well. I have never seen major problems and never seen an oldy lost.

You will also then have a clean slate to start with. Keep them on the diet they are now on and then you will reduce the likelyhood of problems in the future.

Where his teeth like that when he was desexed? I am suprised that the vet didn't recommend them being done while he was knocked out?

Goodluck

He should be fine under the GA at the age of 9.

I'm sure he will thankyou when he has a mouth full of clean teeth.

Yep sounds like a plan, and it s worth doing. You can also try to brush your dog's teeth with a soft tooth brush and doggie tooth paste.

Bicarb with a little chicken stock or vegemite is also very good substitute to the toothpaste.

You can get descalers they are also very good, but be gentle as the gums will bleed easily.

My lot get chicken wings/necks 2 to 3 times a week raw of course and a tooth brushing twice a week. I m sooo popular when I have a toothbrush :love:

You could try more 'complicated' meals where the different teeth are all being used. Sheep heads are great teeth cleaners, with a range of difficult areas needing the use of all the dogs teeth.

Also tough meaty meals (like tongues) also help with teeth cleaning. Lamb shanks and pork hocks involve a lot of front teeth use. Ox Tongues are great for back teeth. Large meaty (untrimed) lamb necks are good too.

If Sarge were mine, I would probably get his teeth cleaned first, then continue with lots of really complicated meaty meals to keep them looking good. I wouldn't hesitate because of his age.

Thank you everyone for your advice :rolleyes:

Where his teeth like that when he was desexed? I am suprised that the vet didn't recommend them being done while he was knocked out?

Sarge was desexed just before I got him but I had asked the breeder to get the vet to check his teeth while he was under and give them a clean. Well, the vet forgot :thumbsup: .

I just had another look at his teeth. On the bottom row, there's a gap. Next to the gap, part of his bottom lip seems to be mis-shapen and is covering a couple of yukky teeth that I hadn't even noticed before! I'm pretty sure the smaller one on the left needs to be removed (it's a bit out of focus and hard to see, but it is horrible). In the second pic you can see the pink part of the lip that was covering the teeth. The way that it sits made it look like part of the gum line... I didn't even know there were teeth under there!

sargeteeth3070911-1.jpgsargeteeth30709002.jpg

He's going to the vet next week for sure. I feel a bit better about putting him under G/A thanks to you all :laugh: . Apart from his age, Cresties can be sensitive to certain anaesthetics, so I was a bit hesitant to chance it again. But he got through the desexing okay, and after seeing those two hidden teeth, I need to suck up my worry and get them all seen to properly.

Thanks again everyone :laugh:

These day's general anesthesia for teeth cleaning can be avoided by using a natural pet product which softens the plaque and if you wipe the teeth with a rough cloth after a week and continue to feed the raw meaty bones which also take off the softened plaque you can save your dog from having poisonous toxins put into the body from General Anesthesia.

Please consider trying one of these products first because they don't put your dog at risk and they are far cheaper as well. They work, I use them with my own dogs after discovering the product a year ago.

http://www.naturalpaws.com.au/grooming-tee...roduct-356.html

http://www.naturalpaws.com.au/grooming-tee...roduct-360.html

I don't think a cleaning product will help the yukky tooth I found the other day, it needs to come out. But thank you Chocolate for the suggestion.

I've booked Sarge in for a full Dental next Tuesday the 14th. I'll have to make sure I've got lots to do that day because I know I'll worry like mad otherwise. I've only had Sarge for a short time, but I just love him so much, I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him.

I'm sure he'll be okay, it's just me :laugh: