Vocal Dog - How Do You Get Them To Stop

I think I read on another thread that the pup spends quite some time outside & the intention is that he will be an outside dog. A problem you might have already is a pup with seperation anxiety. We've had a couple like that over the years.

I would have thought seperation anxiety would cause whinging when I was away from him ... but he is perfectly fine when we are not around him.

The whinging is when I am around and when he doesn't get his own way ... such as wanting to play with another dog and I won't let him or if he wants his dinner and it isn't in front of him etc

I would say that because of the constant leash restrictions,plus(hard) corrections..you now have an anxious pup- who vocalises even more because of this :) whining and yawning are a classic show of anxiety...

but I could be wrong.

I couldn't imagine giving a 14 week old pup hard leash corrections, I totaly agree with Pers' in that your pup is anxious, you need to see a good Pro Trainer. I have a pup the same age and I couldn't imagine doing and experiencing what you are. :)

I think you need to look at how you are trainng him and if it is working, by your post it is clearly not working so you are stuffing up, not the puppy. Dogs that are not in the standard box make us better trainers.

By "hard correction" I am not jerking him off the ground ... it is hard correction in terms of the level of correction one would give a pup ... a pop on the leash, firm vocals and body language.

I definately don't believe this pup is anxious - he is just vocal. He doesn't cower, act submissive, shy away - he stands or sits there looking directly at you and vocalises.

He simple likes to get his own way and when he is told no or stopped from doing what he wants or if dinner is taking too long or if he can't get the toy he wants - he vocalises his disapproval.

Walking on leash is the only thing he has a bit of trouble with - he prefers to hold the leash in his mouth.

Give him something else to carry??

One reason I didn't ever consider a GSD as a pet was that ones I worked with were such vocal critters :confused:

Mines either broken or i'm lucky. I've never heard her whinge the whole time i've heard and she's two years old. Lucky me :eek:

Diesel whinges a bit but not too bad. Only time it is bad is when I leave him with someone else on lead/tie him up and walk away or OH is with us and walks away (he loves OH!) and the odd howl when we leave the house. Otherwise he is much quieter than the Kelpies.

I was worried about the whole GSDs being vocal thing as well, so far my girl only whines/cries/makes noise if she wants to be let out for toilet, or if she is tethered or left alone (when we leave she sooks for about 5 minutes according to neighbours). So I think I'm pretty bloody lucky by the sounds of it :thumbsup:

I found that ignoring the noise is better than reacting to it. If I said "ahh ahh" or "NO" when she was making noise, she would make more noise, if I ignored it, it would stop quicker

My Parents bred GSD's for the armed forces and police. They are vocal dogs and that is part of their character :thumbsup: Just like the Siamese in the cat world, we had both at home.

I would not get into the dog for it all the time, I would make the pup busy or put something in the pups mouth.

We do this with our newfs, wherever we go we find something for the dog to carry. We do it because we want to teach our dogs retrieve and carrying for future use in training. But it would not hurt to do the same.

There won't be any noise coming out of the mouth if it is full :thumbsup:. I find the conversations we used to have with our GSD's quite sweet. I have a Border Collie cross Golden at present and she loves to talk. We also have taught her to talk on command, she says "hello", which is a good party trick. And we talk to her and she to us when we are making her food. I think it is part of the dogs personality. I love it when you come home and she has her chat...........