Outside Puppy

sluggo

Guest Tess32
I have indoor rabbits only and don't think rabbits are suitable for outside.

You must be kidding? Next you'll suggest i keep a horse in my bedroom!

No.

Rabbits are usually kept in barren hutches by themselves with no interaction other than to have a kid pick them up every now and then. This fulfills none of their needs. They are not stupid and do not spend their lives sitting there without moving, as most people think. They are naturally curious and like to interact with you once they trust you, however they rarely get the chance.

They NATURALLY live in large warrens with constant interaction and activity - you cannot provide this outside in a hutch.

Being a prey animal, they have subtle body language and communication - things that cannot be picked up outside and with minimal interaction.

They hide their illnesses - learning what is natural and normal in their behaviour requires them to be near you for more than 10 minutes a day.

They do not naturally trust humans like dogs do, not having been bred or wired this way - so they take a long time to trust you. However most people don't give them a chance and just pick them up, pat them, put them down, and that's all they get.

They also require hours of exercise that they rarely get.

They are fairly intelligent and responsive if given the chance.

Guest Tess32
Tess32 - I apologise for suggesting a rabbit, I did not know they required what you've written :(

That's ok, most people don't :thumbsup:

It's probably rather ironic that so many zoos have made progress in the keeping of exotic species while the keeping of dogs as pets has arguably gone backwards. Yards are smaller, housing density is greater, working families are the norm and capacity to self exercise is virtually gone now.

No decent zoo would house animals in anything other than their natural social groups. Good zoos spend a lot of effort providing enrichment programs for their animals. But so many dogs live alone in social isolation. Years ago dogs were turned out for exercise and formed neighbourhood packs that roamed together most days. Dogs are increasingly confined and isolated now - no wonder behavioural issues have exploded.

Personally I think people need to think good and hard about the kinds of lives they provide their domestic dogs. The aim should always to be to provide something other than the basic minimum of food and shelter required for existence. Unfortunately, dog laws don't require any more than that and our society allows dogs to be sold without any demonstration by the owner that they understand a dogs needs. :( Responsible breeders can protect their puppies but any other dog is out of luck. Frankly I"m surprised more dogs don't go insane. Maybe they are offloaded before that point.

No wonder the university study found that dogs from responsible breeders grew up in the best environments. Bit of a no brainer when homes are vetted.

Edited by poodlefan

Just an observation... I have been a groomer for 20+ yrs. Currently about 30-40% of my clients dogs would be outside dogs. Considering I only groom small fluffy dogs (nothing bigger than a Cavalier) this is a surprising number to me.

They are bought as inside lap dogs but when they smell, wee, poo, destroy stuff or the new baby is born, they gradually get pushed outside and eventually permanently live out there. There are far more people that house their dogs outside than most of you think. There are THOUSANDS of dogs in australia who live on farms and show dogs who live in kennels outside. Like i said before, do I agree? No, mine live inside.

Sluggo, you may want to consider a dog from the pound. They are usually temperament tested and happy, grateful dogs who want to please and can adapt well to any conditions. Good luck anyway, i applaude all the research you are doing.

RA:

There are THOUSANDS of dogs in australia who live on farms and show dogs who live in kennels outside

Few dogs in those situations live alone. Farm dogs frequently spend all day working in the company of their owners. You can keep suitable dogs outside all you like.. however for a single dog in an urban setting, how do you properly provide adequate levels of social interaction without a hell of a lot of effort? :(

Edited by poodlefan

Im sorry, Ive read through all this, but I dont think its fair for you to bring a dog into your home, and leave it outside. Dogs are companions and need attention, they arent just something you can leave out the back, because you are worried about damage to your new carpet!

The only time I understand dogs being outdoor dogs, are working ie: cattle / herding / farm dogs, they are getting their fullfilment out of there lifestyle, interaction with humans while working all day, doing what they love best.

How do people handle the problem of dogs bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or is there doggy footprints all over the carpets?

I guess this problem would be compounded with a doggy door, as you can't always stop them before they run in.

umm.. i usually wipe charlie's paws before coming into the house, if he has been in the mud. there is always towels by the front door or the backdoor... it's kinda like, if your kids hands get dirty.. you wipe their hands before they can touch anything :(

Some families actually spend a lot of time outdoors, I know we do, an outside dog with an active family that spends time outside would not necessarily be neglected or lonely. Fresh air and sunshine is actually good for everyone, that includes dogs.

How do you handle the problem of three children under the age of five bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or are there kiddy footprints all over the carpets?

Our kids were shoes when they're outside and they're taken off before they come inside. Do they make Nike sneakers in doggy sizes?

I can be just as sarcastic as you if you want to go down that path...

I'm looking for some constructive conversation, so if you have nothing positive to add stay away.

Well yes, you can get dog shoes :( , but they are mainly used for protecting dogs feet when they have a pad injury or have to work on unusually hard / rocky / dangerous ground. it really is amazing what is out there for dogs nowdays.

But back to the point ...

I have found that with an outside deck leading to my back door, nearly all of the grot has fallen off before my dogs come inside. If they are wet, they leave wet prints in the first meter or so, which I just clean up. As you have carpet there, an area of plastic carpet protector or similar to stop this initial bit of dirty water may be of value.

If you do let your dog inside, it is easy enough to train you dog to then sit on a mat or bed or in a crate near the family, and they can quietly be with you to enjoy your company. My dogs are not allowed on my furniture or in my bedrooms (let alone on the bed). You can set whatever rules you are happy with, as long as you and ALL your family members are working together and are 100% consistent. The dog can then be part of the family, but not rule the roost. baby gates are fantastic for the early training periods and even to keep the dog in/out of certain areas when it is older.

I grew up with an outside dog, but now I have inside dogs and would never go back. I have a much better relationship with my current dogs than I ever had with our old family dogs. I guess it really depends what you want out of your relationship with the dog, and what you think the dog should get out of its relationship with you. Tis is something only you and your whole family can discuss and agree on. I think the most important thing is to make sure everyone agrees on all the plans (breed, living arrangements, who will be responsible for what etc) before you go ahead.

Some families actually spend a lot of time outdoors, I know we do, an outside dog with an active family that spends time outside would not necessarily be neglected or lonely. Fresh air and sunshine is actually good for everyone, that includes dogs.

We spend lots of time outdoors too but the dogs are welcome in our home to spend time with the family inside and sleep in the house.

Guest Tess32

Even throughout winter ?

How do people handle the problem of dogs bringing in dirt from the yard? Do you wipe their feet clean before they step inside or is there doggy footprints all over the carpets?

I guess this problem would be compounded with a doggy door, as you can't always stop them before they run in.

We don't use a doggy door, so when the dogs are about to come inside, they all line up, and come in one at a time onto a mat whilst I wipe their paws, bellies, bodies etc depending on how dirty/wet they are - means the mat then just gets shaken/hosed outside. Mine are all taught this from the first time they go through the door, and at first its useful to have them on the lead to have some control of a wiggling puppy! My two big dogs will lift their paws in turn so I can wipe them without having to bend down as far and they all love having a rub down with the towel. I also often give the medium and long coats a quick brush so there is less coat and stuff stuck to them and its less likely to end up on our cream carpet. The short coats just need a quick towel over.

From seeing friends battle with their dogs excitable behaviour when their kids go in the backyard (despite them being wonderful dog owners offering plenty of training, exercise, warmth, interaction etc) - they've had the most success with either crating the dog inside at times when the family is home and of a night, and having the dog on lead inside at times say of an evening, so they all spend time together despite the cold/weather etc and the dog doesn't have free reign in the house, is under suitable control and benefiting from the home environment without becoming a full time inside dog. Their animals have become much more settled with the kids, and the kids actually enjoy being out in the backyard with them.

Personally I like to have my dogs with me - that means outside running around the farm for a minimum of three hours a day when we feed animals etc, in the yard whilst we are out or at work (or access to inside if its too cold, wet or hot), and inside when we are inside. They are all great crated, and if they are too excitable they are all happy to go out for a while, because I like them to be settled and well behaved inside - the crating definitely helps there - even with my GSP who is super clingy and with me all the time, he's more than happy in his crate without me.

Guest Pandii

You can train you doggie to sit and wait for feet to be wiped, both my Rotti and Shar Pei wait for feeting wiping, the first dog comes in and sits on the insde back door mat and has feet wiped while the other waits their turn, once they have dry feet they are allowed to go, then the next doggie gets their feet wiped, I can say that the kids bring in more sand/dirt than the dogs.

You did ask about nikes for dogs, maybe not nikes but you can get foot wear for your dog, if you want it to wear shoes outside then you can remove them once the dog comes inside.

If you feed you dog a good diet and keep it clean, your house should not smell, air the house often and vacuum often you should be fine, your children will love having their new best friend inside.

Even throughout winter ?

And during a normal working week? Studies show most kids spend less and less time outside these days.

Even throughout winter ?

Yes, even during winter, kids still play sports, people go for walks,visit the beach, gardening gets done, horses cared for, life goes on.

We spend lots of time outdoors too but the dogs are welcome in our home to spend time with the family inside and sleep in the house.

Same here :(

Guest Tess32

Even throughout winter ?

Yes, even during winter, kids still play sports, people go for walks,visit the beach, gardening gets done, horses cared for, life goes on.

I meant in the evening :( It's dark by 6pm.....I think MOST people would struggle to be outside in the cold with the dogs at that point.

Even throughout winter ?

And during a normal working week? Studies show most kids spend less and less time outside these days.

What is different about a normal working week, outside chores still have to happen, gardening still has to happen animals still need exercise, children still play outside, unless we have all evolved into hermits. :(

Life goes on work or no work, winter, spring, summer or autumn.

Even throughout winter ?

I meant in the evening :( It's dark by 6pm.....I think MOST people would struggle to be outside in the cold with the dogs at that point.

Really, well I guess they would struggle with most things that are normal here then.