Outside Puppy

sluggo

Yes, even during winter, kids still play sports, people go for walks,visit the beach, gardening gets done, horses cared for, life goes on.

Crisovar I notice that you live in Queensland where the weather is probably reasonable even in winter. Here in Melbourne you can go for two weeks without even seeing the sun, just day after day of cold, damp, drizzly weather, quite often it's foggy and doesn't clear until the afternoon and then it's dark by 5.30pm. I go out walking the dogs even when it's raining and most people think I'm crazy. Sometimes I think the majority of the population in Melbourne hibernate during winter :(

What is different about a normal working week, outside chores still have to happen, gardening still has to happen animals still need exercise, children still play outside, unless we have all evolved into hermits. :(

Life goes on work or no work, winter, spring, summer or autumn.

Maybe in Qld. Nothing grows here in winter so there's no gardening, the temperature can be sub-zero when you go to work and its pitch black when you get home. Kids don't play in backyards here before and after school in winter. Come to think of it, I don't see or hear too many kids outside in 40 degree heat unless they're at the rivers or swimming pools.

I walk my dogs in the morning wearing a head light because the sun doesn't come up until 7.00. Its only for the hardy and the truly dedicated outside here in the early mornings.

Edited by poodlefan

Yes, even during winter, kids still play sports, people go for walks,visit the beach, gardening gets done, horses cared for, life goes on.

Crisovar I notice that you live in Queensland where the weather is probably reasonable even in winter. Here in Melbourne you can go for two weeks without even seeing the sun, just day after day of cold, damp, drizzly weather, quite often it's foggy and doesn't clear until the afternoon and then it's dark by 5.30pm. I go out walking the dogs even when it's raining and most people think I'm crazy. Sometimes I think the majority of the population in Melbourne hibernate during winter :(

It was 4 degrees here this morning and we had frost, the winds are quite bitter, we still have to go about our lives.

The dogs want to be out and about, the grand kids wanted to cook sausages over a fire last night and slept in tents. A walk on the beach is invigorating, the dogs are still in and out of the waters edge.

Maybe the general population of this country is far too soft, none of my European friends hibernate with their dogs during winter, dogs need exercise, most seem to love playing in the snow judging by the amount of photos and videos I get. A nation of softies we are becoming maybe?

In summer my dogs are out and about at 5am, I have my first cup of tea out with the dogs, In winter we can stretch it to 6am if we are lucky but not often.

The cold air seems to intensify smells and they are off and fossicking around happily when it is crunchy underfoot. Watching the steam rise off the horses when they start to appear along the fenceline as the sun comes up and listening to the dogs wrestling and running around on the frosty grass is the best time of day.

Dogs are not sent to bed till after 8pm, after last walks, horses checked and the last ball tossed for the old boy who at 13 demands to play ball day & night.

My son tells me that space in the dog park he uses is tight at 6am, and the walking paths still busy till around 8pm, so there are still some people who go outside. We might be in the minority though, what a waste of a beautiful country if everyone is huddled indoors.

I'm enjoying this thread :thumbsup:

Wash the floors and vacuum the carpets??? Was this a trick question? :(

If you had indoor wabbits you mightn't have as big a problem...........but you could any up with dozens of wabbits :laugh:

I have indoor rabbits only and don't think rabbits are suitable for outside.

You must be kidding? Next you'll suggest i keep a horse in my bedroom!

No.

Rabbits are usually kept in barren hutches by themselves with no interaction other than to have a kid pick them up every now and then. This fulfills none of their needs. They are not stupid and do not spend their lives sitting there without moving, as most people think. They are naturally curious and like to interact with you once they trust you, however they rarely get the chance.

They NATURALLY live in large warrens with constant interaction and activity - you cannot provide this outside in a hutch.

Being a prey animal, they have subtle body language and communication - things that cannot be picked up outside and with minimal interaction.

They hide their illnesses - learning what is natural and normal in their behaviour requires them to be near you for more than 10 minutes a day.

They do not naturally trust humans like dogs do, not having been bred or wired this way - so they take a long time to trust you. However most people don't give them a chance and just pick them up, pat them, put them down, and that's all they get.

They also require hours of exercise that they rarely get.

They are fairly intelligent and responsive if given the chance.

are you kidding? with that comment i assume you would suggest that my rabbit isnt happy and isnt kept well and i know nothing about rabbits even though he lives outside? he lives in a 3x4m pen with a roof and an insulated house inside the pen. the pen is always lines in thick straw. we play every day and he has hours of run around time and play time each day... but he doesnt live inside! rabbits do brilliantly in the cold - its the heat they have trouble with. true rabbits need love and attention - every single animal does! dog, rabbit, cat, rat, snake... whatever. rabbits may live in large warrens in the wild, but they are outside.

to the OP... if i were you i wouldnt get a rabbit either... although rabbits dont leave mud on the carpet, they, like all animals require a LOT of love, time, patience and attention. dogs do too... i just dont see why u would want a dog when he/she cant be with its pack/family. i understand that u want ur kids to grow up with dogs, but maybe start slow? maybe find a family member/fiend with a dog and take ur kids over a few times a week to play with the dogs... that way they can have the animal interaction without having to have a dog stuck outside in your yard...

Crisovar:

Maybe the general population of this country is far too soft, none of my European friends hibernate with their dogs during winter, dogs need exercise, most seem to love playing in the snow judging by the amount of photos and videos I get. A nation of softies we are becoming maybe?

How many of your European friends keep single dogs alone outside?

You can take dogs places in Europe that we only dream of. Historically dogs have always shared living space with people. That seems to have gone off the rails here. Maybe we were all paranoid about Hydatits tapeworm. Maybe we didn't have all that many purely companion dogs here initially. But somehow we've managed to evolve a culture where its acceptable that dogs live alone separate from their owners or other dogs.

I can't think of an equivalent culture elsewhere.

None of my colder climate friends hibernate in winter - we have dogs to exercise.. but they all live inside.

Edited by poodlefan

They're just friggin asking!!! Jeez. Lighten up.

That was actually a very light answer I thought :thumbsup:

I thought the same gareth :(

Treating someone's honest question like it is ridiculous is not only very unconstructive but v. passive agressive.

It was 4 degrees here this morning and we had frost, the winds are quite bitter, we still have to go about our lives.

The dogs want to be out and about, the grand kids wanted to cook sausages over a fire last night and slept in tents. A walk on the beach is invigorating, the dogs are still in and out of the waters edge.

In summer my dogs are out and about at 5am, I have my first cup of tea out with the dogs, In winter we can stretch it to 6am if we are lucky but not often.

The cold air seems to intensify smells and they are off and fossicking around happily when it is crunchy underfoot. Watching the steam rise off the horses when they start to appear along the fenceline as the sun comes up and listening to the dogs wrestling and running around on the frosty grass is the best time of day.

Dogs are not sent to bed till after 8pm, after last walks, horses checked and the last ball tossed for the old boy who at 13 demands to play ball day & night.

My son tells me that space in the dog park he uses is tight at 6am, and the walking paths still busy till around 8pm, so there are still some people who go outside. We might be in the minority though, what a waste of a beautiful country if everyone is huddled indoors.

Are you engaged in full time paid employment? Compare: Depending on my day I may need to get to work (approx. 1 hour away) by 7 am. During winter on these days I walk my dogs around 5.30 am--it is dark. Too dark to take them to the dog park. And the beach is too far away to even consider for any kind of regular outing. When I get home it is dark. At home I have domestics--clothes on/off line, usually washing up, driving of child to after school activities, cooking, feeding etc. By the time I walk the dogs it is dark. Once domestics are completed I might have an hour to collapse in a chair and watch TV or engage in some other activity. One day evening a week I take one of our dogs to agility, another night the puppy to puppy school. If I did not have indoor dogs, the limit of my involvement with them would be twice daily walks, feeding and a formal 'training' session each. I would imagine many lives are like this--both parents working, children engaged in activities, a mad rush to do the necessary chores that enable you to minimally get through the week. This is hard work--I can't see how this makes people "soft". As indoor dogs, my guys get much more contact with us than they would ever get as outdoor dogs.

Di

Just an observation... I have been a groomer for 20+ yrs. Currently about 30-40% of my clients dogs would be outside dogs. Considering I only groom small fluffy dogs (nothing bigger than a Cavalier) this is a surprising number to me.

They are bought as inside lap dogs but when they smell, wee, poo, destroy stuff or the new baby is born, they gradually get pushed outside and eventually permanently live out there. There are far more people that house their dogs outside than most of you think. There are THOUSANDS of dogs in australia who live on farms and show dogs who live in kennels outside. Like i said before, do I agree? No, mine live inside.

Sluggo, you may want to consider a dog from the pound. They are usually temperament tested and happy, grateful dogs who want to please and can adapt well to any conditions. Good luck anyway, i applaude all the research you are doing.

Many rescue organisations don't rehome to outside only homes for the very reason that it is the dogs that have very little social interaction that become the problem barkers, escape artists etc that end up in the pound in the first place. Put a dog back in the same situation and it is likely to become a bit of "bouncer".

I think you would find reputable rescue would be every bit as interested in finding the best home for the dog as a reputable breeder. Pound dogs are not second class citizens and I object to the implication that they deserve a lesser life.

As people have said dogs are pack and social animals, if you can't provide it with constand company in the form of humans you'd be better of getting 2 (and not staffords if they are going to live outside).

Edited by Quickasyoucan

We plan to bring a puppy home in late spring when the weather starts to warm up, and have some questions regarding leaving the puppy outside.

The plan is to have an outside dog, so the first question is, do we let the puppy sleep outside from the first night we bring him home or should we put him somewhere a little more secure like a locked laundry? If we house him in the laundry to start with, will it be more difficult to transition him outside later?

If we put him outside from day one, should we leave his crate unlocked overnight so he can do his business or will he wander all over the yard and not be able to find his way back? He will gets lots of attention and play from the family during the day, but will be on his own overnight.

If you want an outside dog then have him sleep outside from night 1.

DOL represents only a small minority of dog owners...passionate ones. Outside of dol (in the real world) you will find more people have outside dogs rather than inside dogs.

Obviously the dog will have suitable housing ie kennel and a coat for winter etc etc.