Clipping Nails

You can get the Ozito brand from Bunnings. Just buttonhole somebody there and ask them about hobby grinders or even explain what you need it for. They probably won't even bat an eyelid. Most have heard it all before! :thumbsup:

I currently have the Rok brand from Mitre 10 which was less than $40 and works a treat.

Hmpf I asked someone the other day about dremels, he asked what I want it for, I said trimming my dogs' nails and he said - it's a drill, right? Ellz I nearly fell over. No I dont want to drill my dogs' nails...do I look like a body piercer???

I think I need to send my husband. He talks the Bunnings talk.

What's wrong with using clippers?

They're cheap, easy and quick.

Bonz

Grinding gets them shorter without any sharp edges and if you do happen to go a little too short, they don't bleed and don't hurt the dog (as much). And we all know that if you hurt them once, it makes the job hellish next time! :thumbsup:

From a coated dog point of view, for show trims, the shorter the nails the better. Much easier to trim a nice foot if you aren't trying to dodge long toenails.

And not to mention that when clipping, for fear of cutting too short, most people leave the nails too long which isn't good for the foot.

I use a dremel (the pet model, you can get them from ebay) and I love it. I'd never go back to using clippers.

I've heard the more powerful dremels take less time to do the nails than the pet model though, especially for large dogs. The pet model also goes through batteries pretty quickly. I think next time I'll get a more powerful dremel with a power chord. But my pet one is good for now, and I think it would be great on smaller dogs.

I did it!!! I cut Charlie's nail without so much drama.

After an hour and a half, I managed to clip Charlie's nails... (he got bored, that he fell asleep on me). He didn't even wake up, so I can give him a bone for being so good.

I didn't cut too much... just cut a very little bit on each nail. I will cut again this weekend again... hopefully, my palms won't be sweaty and not so nervous this time round.

But, I'm still looking at some dermel... there is so much to choose from!!!