Aggressive Dog

My friend made a comment today saying that her 2 1/2yr old GSD male entire has been acting strange and growling for apparently no reason. For example, the dog was on his bed (no crate) and got and and rubbed up against her and then started growling. I ask does he ever growl around food and toys and she said no. Could this possibly be a dominance issue? The dog is sometimes dog aggressive and the husky (she has two dogs) is always keeping eye out for the GSD because he thinks he's going to get a hiding from the GSD. She takes the GSD to dog obedience every week but the trainer couldn't help her.

I would actually be worried if that happened to me. Personally I have never had a dog show aggression to me or my husband, even our rescues. But I think that we are fairly strong around our dogs.

I however would not recommend any "quick-fix" to some one I do not know or their dog. If it was my friend, I would suggest she visits a dog behaviourist pronto. to access the problem and to see what is happening.

I can only compare to what I would do in such a situation. One of our newf rescues was possibly people aggressive, so we asked help from someone who trains dog/ behaviourist. He checked her out and she was not aggressive at all, just scared. But she never showed any aggression to us, even when we had to physically pull her out of a dog fight.

So if I was your friend I would not tackle this by myself, but I would do something and quickly. And I would most likely get him neutered. Even then it would take a while for the hormones to go and sometimes the habits need to be redirected.

I would actually be worried if that happened to me. Personally I have never had a dog show aggression to me or my husband, even our rescues. But I think that we are fairly strong around our dogs.

I however would not recommend any "quick-fix" to some one I do not know or their dog. If it was my friend, I would suggest she visits a dog behaviourist pronto. to access the problem and to see what is happening.

I can only compare to what I would do in such a situation. One of our newf rescues was possibly people aggressive, so we asked help from someone who trains dog/ behaviourist. He checked her out and she was not aggressive at all, just scared. But she never showed any aggression to us, even when we had to physically pull her out of a dog fight.

So if I was your friend I would not tackle this by myself, but I would do something and quickly. And I would most likely get him neutered. Even then it would take a while for the hormones to go and sometimes the habits need to be redirected.

i suggested this and also suggested not treating aggression with aggression because she told me she slapped him across the nose for it. She is a bit worried about his behaviour. When i suggested the desexing part she said not yet because they want to breed a litter from him first and get a pup. :thumbsup: I told her that aggressivness can be hereditary and that she would be passing that on. Dont think that sunk in.

i suggested this and also suggested not treating aggression with aggression because she told me she slapped him across the nose for it. She is a bit worried about his behaviour. When i suggested the desexing part she said not yet because they want to breed a litter from him first and get a pup. :thumbsup: I told her that aggressivness can be hereditary and that she would be passing that on. Dont think that sunk in.

As I said my parents bred GSD...........Any dog/bitch that showed aggression was for the knife.........No pups from them EVER! And if it came up more then once from the same parental bitch/dog in a litter it was the same neuter or spay. Just don't let me get started on backyard breeders. I will keep my soapbox under the computer desk for now.

As to hitting, that is asking to get possibly bitten....I hope your friend will seek some help, it sounds like she could do with some

My friend made a comment today saying that her 2 1/2yr old GSD male entire has been acting strange and growling for apparently no reason. For example, the dog was on his bed (no crate) and got and and rubbed up against her and then started growling. I ask does he ever growl around food and toys and she said no. Could this possibly be a dominance issue? The dog is sometimes dog aggressive and the husky (she has two dogs) is always keeping eye out for the GSD because he thinks he's going to get a hiding from the GSD. She takes the GSD to dog obedience every week but the trainer couldn't help her.

That sounds a bit strange to me???, needs a little more clarification what the dog is doing in what circumstances???. My GSD male just over 2 years old and entire, is from a bloodline of hard temperaments solid nerve with high civil aggression that is required in protection work, but with his family and friend base is a big softy, absolutely not the slightest hint of handler aggression even in full defence drive, I could put my hand in his mouth, take food from him, man handle him with totally loyalty in that regard.

Handler/family aggression in a GSD is not a common trait and is major reason why GSD's are better than other breeds in working roles that require aggression and the ability to attack/defend for their owner/handler devotion and trust. Perhaps a training issue where the dog believes he is the leader of the household pack growling to ascert his aurthority???

That sounds a bit strange to me???, needs a little more clarification what the dog is doing in what circumstances???. My GSD male just over 2 years old and entire, is from a bloodline of hard temperaments solid nerve with high civil aggression that is required in protection work, but with his family and friend base is a big softy, absolutely not the slightest hint of handler aggression even in full defence drive, I could put my hand in his mouth, take food from him, man handle him with totally loyalty in that regard.

Handler/family aggression in a GSD is not a common trait and is major reason why GSD's are better than other breeds in working roles that require aggression and the ability to attack/defend for their owner/handler devotion and trust. Perhaps a training issue where the dog believes he is the leader of the household pack growling to ascert his aurthority???

edited to acually add something.

This is what i was thinking.

Edited by WildatHeart

[quote name='newfsie' date='11th Jul 2009 - 07:02 PM' post='3821738'

As I said my parents bred GSD...........Any dog/bitch that showed aggression was for the knife.........No pups from them EVER! And if it came up more then once from the same parental bitch/dog in a litter it was the same neuter or spay. Just don't let me get started on backyard breeders. I will keep my soapbox under the computer desk for now.

As to hitting, that is asking to get possibly bitten....I hope your friend will seek some help, it sounds like she could do with some

I agree, it makes me mad when I hear ppl who want to breed from their dogs without going into all the necessary health & temperament tests.

this is a bit of topic but why does desexing get mentioned every time a dog has some sorta agression a hell of a lot of the time its a learnt behavior

to me it sounds like the dog need to be shown its boundrys

this is a bit of topic but why does desexing get mentioned every time a dog has some sorta agression a hell of a lot of the time its a learnt behavior

It's interesting that several GSD breeders/trainers have told me that desexing a male GSD only reduces male to male dog aggression in the presence of a bitch in season and otherwise has no effect. They have also mentioned that male GSD's of hard nerve and stranger aggressive when desexed have become skittish and handler aggressive/fear biters with unpredictability???.

Maybe the dog was being chatty? Some dogs "grumble" yodel growl" for attention.It might not be aggression at all.

She is lucky her dog didn't react to her smacking it's face.

I have had the pleasure of looking after a couple of very aggressive (human/animal) dogs both desexed.So i am not a big believer in desexing equating quick fix.

It's interesting that several GSD breeders/trainers have told me that desexing a male GSD only reduces male to male dog aggression in the presence of a bitch in season and otherwise has no effect. They have also mentioned that male GSD's of hard nerve and stranger aggressive when desexed have become skittish and handler aggressive/fear biters with unpredictability???.

That may be, dog to dog individually but I highly doubt this across an entire breed. Any entire breed.

Edited by arawnhaus

Wildatheart

Just some questions

Your friend wants to breed with the dog..... does that mean she is going to buy a bitch?

She has an entire GSD male and a male Husky (entire?). What age is the husky?

Has the GSD 'shown agression' to the husky and others?

There are sooooo many factors to take into consideration with these types of situations, but it does seem that perhaps the GSD has been allowed to set his own guidelines. Perhaps he hasnt had firm enough guidance when younger and now that he is reaching full maturity he is now really 'expressing' himself.

I have owned GSD's for 30 years and bred them for 10 years. One reason I stopped breeding GSD's was because it was difficult to find good homes with people who are committed and capable. GSD's are not for novice dog owners they are intelligent and hard working dogs who often have very strong personalities and high drive.

Do you think your friend has the right commitment to handle this dog, let alone that she wants to keep a pup from him?

If so, she definately needs to go to a private trainer who is experienced with GSD.