Need Help

Sorry to bother you all, but I have a friend that has Hot Spots on her Pug.

I said Listerine Antiseptic.

But where do you by it. She has tried the chemists and they say all they keep is the mouth wash ?.

Any ideas would be helpful for the area's around Ipswich Qld.

How do you know what to recommend if you don't know what it actually is and where to get it? :rofl:

Listerine is an antiseptic mouthwash and is available at any chemist or supermarket.

I don't like using it on hotspots because it generally stings and I don't think it's necessary.

Curash Powder is drying and doesn't sting. If the hotspot is 'advanced', you'll need vet attention, no amount of Listerine, Curash or other over the counter products makes much difference.

Do you know how bad the hot spot is?

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

No I haven't seen it, (the hot spot) but I have been using Listerine Antiseptic for hot spots for years.

I just don't have any or I would send her mine. She has tried to purchase it but just keep getting that we only stock the Mouth Wash.

I have been using it for 40 years and think it the most marvelous stuff ever invented for use on hot spots.

There are other effective methods they could use... I'd be more inclined to determine 'why' their dogs keeps getting them also.

I clip the hair around the area and use a topical cream such as Neotopic.

I'm confused.

Listerine is an antiseptic mouthwash. Have you got the name confused with something else Oakway, or did you not realise it was actually a mouthwash?

I would have thought it might sting on a hot spot. I know the stuff makes my whole head want to explode if I hold it in my mouth for too long :thumbsup:

Listerine used to be sold along side the Dettol years ago.

I do mean years ago.

It dries up hot spots like crazey.

No....it does not sting hot spots. The hot spot has a yellow pus like covering above the skin.

The Listerine attacks this covering. Whithin 3 days the hot spot would be dry and gone.

Listerine can cause cancer & i can't believe anyone would want to put it on a dogs skin :eek: ...why don't you try putting neat lavender oil on twice a day,it's soothing & anti bacterial & will help to clear thing up safely!

I do mean years ago.

Many.. many years ago according to Wiki

Listerine was invented in the 19th century as powerful surgical antiseptic. It was later sold, in very distilled form, as floor cleaner and cure for gonorrhea. But it wasn't runaway success until the 1920s, when it was pitched as solution for "chronic halitosis", the faux medical term that the Listerine advertising group created in 1921 to describe bad breath.

I do mean years ago.

Many.. many years ago according to Wiki

Listerine was invented in the 19th century as powerful surgical antiseptic. It was later sold, in very distilled form, as floor cleaner and cure for gonorrhea. But it wasn't runaway success until the 1920s, when it was pitched as solution for "chronic halitosis", the faux medical term that the Listerine advertising group created in 1921 to describe bad breath.

Hey "shmoo" I aint that old. :eek: