Kennel Cough - Keep Quarantined/no Walks?

Guest RosieFT

Guest RosieFT

Rosie just spent 5 days at a kennel and when my OH picked her up (Monday afternoon) the owner gave him an information sheet on KC and said it was 'in the area',but quickly added that there were no dogs with it at her kennels. She asked us to call her if any symptoms developed, which they now have :laugh:

Anyway, i did a DOL search and read some old posts on KC, but was wondering how long they are infectious for and therefore, when/if they can be walked?

I have a little seal, producing a little bit of vomit yummo. Her little triangle perky ears are not so perky tonight :-( .

I just keep her warm and if she gets very bad some children's cough syrup based on weight? or is there a dog conversion?

thanks in advance.

Benadryl Adult cough syrup, adult dose.

House arrest for minimum 14 days. No dogs to visit either.

If pet owners visit your house, they should spray disinfectant on their hands and feet before entering their home.

It's highly infectious. If you think your dog is very unwell, straight to the vet as there are some nasty strains about.

Guest RosieFT

Thank you - i walked her today before any symptoms developed but thankfully due to the rain it was a short walk around the block and not a big run/walk around the sports oval everyone uses!!

She is a 6kg fox terrier so wanted to just double check your thoughts on dose??? :-)

thanks again.

I gave Active Manuka Honey and it worked a treat - plus no concerns about medications and dosage.

I kept Sasha away from other dogs... I did take her for short walks just to give her a little bit of different environment and exercise - but I stayed away from parks or where other dogs are and walked her on quiet back streets. I did this for about a month or so.

I did take her for short walks just to give her a little bit of different environment and exercise - but I stayed away from parks or where other dogs are and walked her on quiet back streets.

I would strongly advise against this.

KC is a highly contagious airbourne virus so it doesn't matter if you walk in quiet back streets...you will still be contagious to other neighbourhood dogs. I wouldn't be happy if you were walking the back street/alley behind my yard.

House arrest for 2 weeks minimum, preferably 3wks.