Desexing Whilst On Heat

I agree, you are very arguementive gareth

Oh pull your damn head in :love: Since when was this about me, and since WHEN am I not allowed to try and put my point across to someone who cannot seem to understand it. You ALSO need to learn to read.

Taking a swipe at me for no good reason then carrying on as if you came here with advice for the OP :love:

Once again for YOU, if you quote somebody's post it is generally assumed that is the person you are speaking to, and it is impolite to ignore them, especially if they didn't read your post or misunderstood what was said, as it appears in this case.

I agree, you are very arguementive gareth

Oh pull your damn head in :) Since when was this about me, and since WHEN am I not allowed to try and put my point across to someone who cannot seem to understand it. You ALSO need to learn to read.

Taking a swipe at me for no good reason then carrying on as if you came here with advice for the OP :(

Once again for YOU, if you quote somebody's post it is generally assumed that is the person you are speaking to, and it is impolite to ignore them, especially if they didn't read your post or misunderstood what was said, as it appears in this case.

You have got to be kidding :)

Proved my point to a "T"

A debate or discussion is without insults, you are being insulting and argumentative

You made blanket statements

Just because what works for you does not work for everyone else

$280 for a dog under 10kg is rip off, if you are more than prepared to go to a vet and pay that so they can buy a new BMW more fool you :)

I have PM'd you the address bac, as others have stated, desexing a bitch in season can have its dangers, I would wait until she is 10-14 days out of season

I have had over 200 dogs desexed, some as young as 8 weeks, but only ever desexed a bitch is season if it was in the very early stages, not only is the risk of a bleed higher, desexing in season or too close to finishing can have hormonal effects on a dog temperament

Having extensive experience working and running veterinary practices, I can assure you cheap vets = lesser quality vets. The cheaper the vet care the lower the quality of medicine and surgery being practiced. You cannot provide high quality veterinary care on a budget...

I certainly would not be shopping around for my pets health care.

Having extensive experience working and running veterinary practices, I can assure you cheap vets = lesser quality vets. The cheaper the vet care the lower the quality of medicine and surgery being practiced. You cannot provide high quality veterinary care on a budget...

I certainly would not be shopping around for my pets health care.

Well, I can assure you that the most expensive Vets are not always the best.

I know a lot of Vets that keep their desexing prices down to encourage more people to desex their animals.

There is a huge difference in prices and in many places and it is not the quality of the service or the skills of the vet or the drugs used, or the aftercare, it is the surgery fee that is the difference.

Having extensive experience working and running veterinary practices, I can assure you cheap vets = lesser quality vets. The cheaper the vet care the lower the quality of medicine and surgery being practiced. You cannot provide high quality veterinary care on a budget...I certainly would not be shopping around for my pets health care.

And i can assure you to the contrary. Can you honestly say with 100% accuracy that cheap vets = cheap care? Because that's a bold generalisation. Don't you mean sometimes cheap vets = cheap care??

What I'm saying is sometimes expensive does not equal best. No one is right or wrong, why should there be? We all have different experiences. I see no need to be corrected on my observations. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on their own experience.

But no need to insinuate someone is wrong coz they don't agree with you. It doesn't make sense to make adamant assumptions about the entire vet world.

Edited by redarachnid

That is a pretty standard price for a bitch spey.

Be wary of discount desexing prices, costs have to be cut somewhere and it is usually in the quality of the anaesthetics and the use of pain relief.

I disagree. Inflated vet prices are often due to greed and over-servicing. Lower vet fees do not always mean lower care.

Usually smaller owner-run business are cheaper... as opposed to chain-run or larger hospitals whose owners are not the vets working there, but business people looking for profit.

A vet is not somewhere that the saying "you get what you pay for" usually applies. High cost does not always equal high care.

So smaller owner run businesses aren't working towards a profit? What a weird train of thought you have.

There are all sorts of cost involved with desexing from cheap to top of the line sutures and so on. If you have reservations about the cost but like and trust the vet just ask them if their fee reflects the quality of their drugs, materials, staff and service.

More often than not you will find cheap prices equals cheap quality.

That is a pretty standard price for a bitch spey.

Be wary of discount desexing prices, costs have to be cut somewhere and it is usually in the quality of the anaesthetics and the use of pain relief.

I disagree. Inflated vet prices are often due to greed and over-servicing. Lower vet fees do not always mean lower care.

Usually smaller owner-run business are cheaper... as opposed to chain-run or larger hospitals whose owners are not the vets working there, but business people looking for profit.

A vet is not somewhere that the saying "you get what you pay for" usually applies. High cost does not always equal high care.

So smaller owner run businesses aren't working towards a profit? What a weird train of thought you have.

They just don't seem to aim for a large profit margin on their products and services. I've worked in both tiny clinics and huge hospitals. Here's my examples that I worked for...

1) The small clinic tried to keep prices at a minimum and only put minimal mark-ups on goods and services, often below recommended retail or AVA recommended prices. They still make a profit, but do not and have no desire to become a multimillion dollar clinic. This vet was happy living in his modest home with his beat-up old car. He just loved being a vet and being available to clients. He didn't even have a computer and remembered most of his clients history without looking in the file.

2)The bigger hospital wanted to make maximum profit and pay the several owners (usually non-vets), large profits coz it was important to them to have expensive houses, holidays and cars and have a state of the art multimillion dollar clinic and the fees reflected this. (Two of the owners I became friendly with so found out all this info)

They were fantastic vets with excellent medical knowledge and skills but the fees are high...even for a routine desex or vacc. Coz you were paying for the flashy clinic, machinery and maximum profit margin. They also required their vets to perform "$X" amount of surgery and services per month and held them accountable for not reaching targets. So the vets were required to push clients into goods and services.

So... That's why I made the statements I did originally.

Sometimes expensive vets are not always better and sometimes cheap vets can be wonderful.

So it pays to shop around if you are new to using vet care, like the OP seems to be with their question about fees.

if you are more than prepared to go to a vet and pay that so they can buy a new BMW more fool you :happydance:

I don't know any vets that drive BMWs :thumbsup:

There is a large vet hospital in melbourne were you can see the sectioned off staff car park where there's 6+ BMWs and similar, lined up in a row. I know they belong to the vets as one of the vets is my friend...and one of the BMWs is his.

Thanks for the advice guys, have passed on mostof the comments to my neighbour and she has gone with sharpeis advice and contacted a suggested vet.

she will be speyed in 2 weeks time once off heat

btw my vet drives a barina :happydance:

We got Jessie desexed when she was on heat.

When we adopted her she had kennel cough, and after she got over that she went onto heat. Our vet said it was more risky to desex her when she was on heat due to the risk of increased blood loss. Well an entire dog who was about 11 years old flew over our 6 foot fence one morning. We were not sure if anything happened between them, but after that incident we booked Jessie in to be desexed while she was on heat.

There were no issues at all with her surgery and the dog continued to visit us every month or so for several years (Tilly went nuts the past two times he came to the door though, and he hasn't come back since + he is quite old now too).

There is a large vet hospital in melbourne were you can see the sectioned off staff car park where there's 6+ BMWs and similar, lined up in a row. I know they belong to the vets as one of the vets is my friend...and one of the BMWs is his.

The vets I work with drive old station wagons, banged-up 4wd's, Toyota Corolla's and the like :thumbsup:

Lol my boss drives an old old Rangie but it's all modified for 4wd holidays.

I think a lot of Vets want the status symbol but can't necessarily go out and pay in full for a luxury vehicle- you will find they are mostly on leasing as a tax dodge.

I have a newish car but be stuffed if I can afford the fuel these days....it's nearly 20% of my wages each week....but then I'm a nurse living in poverty. :laugh:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller