Puppy Is Home But...

JustUs

Hi Everyone,

We got our 12week old Stafford last night and he is so so gorgeous :laugh: but after thinking we were so prepared we need a little advice please.

Dexter is not really interested in food at all, which means he really doesn't care about all the lovely kongs that we bought and we cant really bribe him to stay in the crate......

he is enjoying the Nutra puppy dry food that we got for him but only if it's hand fed as a reward, the problem with this is he has never had dry food before so we are only meant to use a little bit over the next couple of days.

He is really happy and excited and seems to be loving our company but we are in a bit of a spin as we really thought it would be about food rewards!

Any advice greatly appreciated

My husband is out taking pics now so we will post some asap

Glad he's home ! :)

It is usually recommended to keep pup on the diet he is used to - for a while, til he settles in..this avoids any chance of an upset tummy....can you feed him what the breeder was feeding- GRADUALLY introducing the food you have bought?

Please don't hand-feed your pup :laugh: One sure way to set up finicky habits :( Hand feeding(meals) is for very ill or incapacitated dogs, or those with behavioural problems,IMO ;)

It is perfectly normal for a new pup to NOT be interested in the food/treats on offer.Everything is new & different- and he is getting heaps of attention.

Take it slow- you have all the time in the world :mad

Guest Pandii

Congrates, wait until your puppy settles in abit, give him a couple of days, then you will find he is ready to have toys, he has a whole new world to expore and new poeple to get to know first

He is still settling in. Its normal for animals to go off their food for a while after coming to a new home. He has gone through a major upheaval remember. :laugh: Just play with him and offer him his normal meals. Don't baby him too much though and don't pander to his sooking! LOL!

We brought our beagle home a week ago and he too was uninterested in his food for a day or so. Just having little bits here and there. We tried some other food and found that he enjoys the pro plan for puppies and he seems to prefer it with some mince added to it or mositened with water.

Also, we figured out that he prefers to eat off a plate and doesn't like the stainless bowl that we brought him. Although is happy drinking water from it. Go figure???? Maybe try changing his bowl.

I am no expert but it seems to have worked for us. Goodluck :laugh:

P.S Our previous boy was a stafford and was the most beautiful gentle soul. Especially with children. Not so much with dogs. He was a bit naughty as a pup :laugh: but no more than expected. He lived to the grand old age of 15 and a half.....and we sadly had to have him put down earlier this year:(

You will get many lovely years and much enjoyement.

Thanks Bax, we already adore him, he is so so cute.

He is eating a little, as training rewards and he is already sitting really well so I guess that is all good.

Still trying to work out how to post pic!

So sorry you had to say goodbye to your boy, I cant imagine how sad that must have been.

Edited by jaxxie

Cut the training treats and just let him settle in. When he's eating his regular meals for a couple of days , then start to introduce the treats again. You must take into account that any treats will contribute to his daily food requirements and if he's full on treats, he won't want anything else.

Put a small amoutn of food in his bowl, give him 15 minutes and if it's not been eaten, pick it up and offer nothing until the next meal time.

Thanks for all the advice.

He is doing really well now, he has eaten 2 small meals( on a plate instead of the s/s bowl thanks for that tip) and is sitting when asked and then given one of the little nutura dry food kibbles as a reward.

And did I mention that he is totally gorgeous :rolleyes:

I am having trouble getting the photo's to load but will try again now.

I would keep trying with bowls, even plastic. Can you imagine the mess when their having an adult size meal on a plate....................... :love::love:

All great advice in here.

So where's the picci's.

Have you made a file with them, and then used the browse button below, and upload them up that way? I'm no expert, just it works for me. :)

Edited by pesh

Photos are now in the general dogs discussion Pesh, cute cute cute!

We also worked out that he is only 11weeks and 5 days, the breeder must of lost track of the weeks, so that was a bonus.

He is now eating really well, is totally settled, sleeping all night in his crate and also going in briefly by himself during the day, seems to be house trained and will sit when asked and also when not asked if he thinks there might be a treat in it!

Thanks for all the advice and I am sure I will be back asking for some more.