Your Very First Obedience Trialling Dog

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yes please can I purchase one as well. I would give more than a gold coin donation :laugh: .In fact I could even give a few trial entries if I could manage 1 on a certain little midget :) .

Edited by ness

The seminar is being run by Sue Hogben and will be covering:

Rock steady stays

Rock steady stand for exams

Heeling - footwork and how to get your dog to work without food or toys being present.

When: Saturday 29th August 12.30-5pm

How Much: $40

There will be a lucky draw on the day for somebody to win back their $40.

Tea/Coffee/cakes/slices available for a gold coin donation.

PM me if you need more details or who to contact.

The seminar is being held to raise money for the National Agility Championships.

Rock steady stand for exams. Yes please :laugh: .

I'm looking forward to the heelwork part with no food or toys. That is going to be a challenge and a half with my dear yellow ratbag!!

I'll shout everyone a round of coffee and cake at the seminar for a solid block of heelwork :)

To date Blaize is my best heeling dog but she has a faulty on off button and she can either be brilliant or bloody awful - there are no inbetweenies with her. I have gone out on a limb and said Beans will be my best heeling dog - for the second trial running she has scored higher than Scoota in heelfree - on the weekend she was like a little wind-up toy :)

You forget Blaize's DOR and having trialled her I can tell you it is a ripper :laugh:

And yes, her heelwork is brilliant.

The seminar is being run by Sue Hogben and will be covering:

Rock steady stays

Rock steady stand for exams

Heeling - footwork and how to get your dog to work without food or toys being present.

I need to go to her for the "rock Steady Stand For Exam" with Pebbles, we could have had a pass last weekend but Pebbles shot to the side as soon as the judge walked towards her, will we ever get out of CCD, I'm feeling a little, read LOT, unconfident at the moment :D. Ok enough sooky la la crap when is Sue coming here & how do I book me & Pebbles into her seminar.

We had Sue here in April Dova :D .

Unfortunately I couldn't go to that one, was very P...ed off but couldn't do anything about it, ah well having an obedience lesson tomorrow & hopefully, with a female judge, two passes on Saturday & that will be Pebbles CCD & two legs of Izzi's :).

Ta! I read it with interest! I've got a few questions now, though :) Hope someone can help answer them! (quoted from the blog):

In terms of duration heelwork Sue suggested I need to build up to 6 minutes of focused attention. She suggested doing this for a period of a month. If you are intending on working on that its all you work for the month. So you would have 3 nights of duration heelwork, 2 nights of doodling heelwork.

So are you saying that for a month, you don't work on any other exercise but heelwork? And a minimum of 5 nights a week? How short/long should those sessions be?

Her advice was also to write down on paper before I went out for a session how many steps I was intending on doing so I didn't cheat. The idea is to divide her meal up into 3 and repeat three times and thats the entire session.

You don't vary the amount of steps you ask for? So you set yourself a number for that session and do it 3 times over with the same amount of steps? What happens if the dog does not maintain focus for the length of steps you set, do you keep trying until you are successful 3 times?

Obviously getting some consistent, focused heelwork is high on my training wishlist ;)

Now your testing my memory RS :) - why not just ask the guru yourself hehehe. Ok the month bit was set so that you (I ;) ) would not stay at the one point too long but also since you use a bulk of your reinforcement for it you haven't really got anything available for training anything else (unless you want a fat dog :worship: ). Its something you want to build up fairly rapidly and you don't want to stick at one stage too long. So you could do duration heelwork for 3 nights and work other exercises the other 2 nights. The implications to me were to focus only on heelwork - we started off with great intentions ;) . It was also to remove the focus of training purely to get in the ring and to lay a solid foundation.

Here is a sample from my duration log which I started with both kids.

Thur 30 April 15, 20, 7 (42)

Fri 1 May 19, 11, 27 (57)

Tue 5 May 23, 11, 32 (66): Notes Kenzie was fine, Ness looked away at 7 paces on the first shot. Fine after a time out.

Wed 6 May 37, 24, 16 (76): Ness was fine. Kenzie was too hyped up. Worked Ness first Kenzie second.

Fri 5 June

Ness: 31, 43, 50

Kenzie: 25, 30, 40

The numbers chosen are suppose to be three different spots - you don't always progressively increase the number, sometimes you start out with the higher number and do less, your aim is to keep them guessing as to when you might reward. You can start out with as little as 5 paces if you want. I did take both of mine to the park without treats and worked them to get a baseline. Would have to go back through my blog to see what the baseline value for each of them was however I remember Kenzie's was more than Ness's. Sue said start at a value they would be successful at even if that meant starting my UD dog at 5 paces.

Both mine had a few unsuccessful sessions which resulted in a time out - if they needed 2 time outs then I aborted the session. Ness's timeouts were primarily due to her looking away although I was slightly naughty in the sense I cut her more slack then I did for Kenzie. I was allowing Ness to forge whereas with Kenzie the moment she started forging she was put away. I had more problems getting duration on Kenzie as she would start out pushy and end up over the top whereas Ness would start off not pushy and just get pushy.

Not sure if this answers your questions and maybe I should go back into hiding as I haven't really continued :worship: . Ptolomy would get her stick out ;) . I sort of got carried away with trialling again. Naughty me.

Edited by ness

I tend to do duration by time as I can't count steps and keep my eye on my dog and where I am going. I think I started with 10 seconds for Beans and Lexi - then jumped to 20 seconds and then back to 15 seconds.

The longest I have ever done is 2 3/4 minutes. After that I got sick of walking :rofl: and I figured they would just keep going and going and going. :D

The idea is that you break their evening dinner into 3 containers and they have to work for each container of food. After being successful 3 times thats it for the night - you don't ask them to do anything else at all - so if you are only heeling for 10 seconds you could be on your way home in less than 2 minutes!

I only ever did duration twice a week and on most occasions it would be once per week. I would work on the other bits on a different night and as Ness said the idea is to keep pushing the dog to work longer and harder.

Had my lesson today & am a much happier vegimite :D , even Izzi was working soooo much better then I gave JC, the 12yo, a run & she worked really well, just got to work on her recall & I'll put her in a trial. JC comes when I call her but turns around & sit's, instead of facing me, no biggie & easy to fix, woohoo I'm ready for tomorrow. Any Adelaide DOL'ers at the trial beware there'll be a strange person walking around saying "can you pat my dog please" :rofl: .

Whenever I've worked on duration, I've used time, too. Though I've never been consistent enough with duration work. I think I'll start with 5 or 10 seconds and see how we go :D

2 and 3/4 minutes, showoff Ptolomy :):rofl:

Dova, I think ness said she's trialling this weekend.

Edited by RubyStar