For The Professional Dog Trainers

Just interested to know what is mainly used by trainers. Do clients sway your decision on what method to use? Eg, i client didn't want you to hurt the dog, would you use luring? Even if it wasnt working for that particular dog?

Using something completely unsuitable for the dog is a waste of my time and makes me look unprofessional.

I have not had an issue where people have limited me, and I use what the owner can handle as well as creating results in the dogs behavior.

I do use corrective aids but I have a bag of various different ones as well as treats etc It comes down to what I assess the dogs problems to be, what they stem from and we work from there :hug:

I use lots of different techniques and methods. And i have changed a fair bit in the time i've been training to incorporate even more options into our training- for example a few years ago i wouldn't have tended to use a no pull harness as i hadn't seen them work very often. I now use them with certain dogs and think they can work really well. Having so many different tools and techniques helps me IMO to give the best possible service and advice to people with their dogs.

Yes, clients can and do influence some of my decisions, provided its still in the best interests of the dog and we still make progress.

Edited by Cosmolo

You've got to work with the dog you've got. I've had a dog that couldn't be lured recently, he liked food but would not go into a down position, couldn't be guided either (due to physical problems causing pain - he had a tendency to bite!) so when he lays down of his own choice he is marked and rewarded. Slow process and makes it inconsistent but we're making progress, even more now he's on pain meds.

I have certain things I like to do but whether that works for the dog and the owner is another thing, so I assess each dog as it comes and work out what's best for this dog. But any method you use should be able to be understood and used by the owner as well.

In the general scheme of things regarding this particular dog, for it to drop wasn’t important but owner thought it would be good if the dog could drop properly when asked. But after trying luring for a while with nil result I recommended that if the owner wanted a drop we would have to go with capturing the behaviour. This was very early on in this dog’s training and it was actually after this session with regard to the dog’s overall behaviour during that session that I recommended that the dog have a vet check and be put on some pain meds given some of the dog’s physical problems.

Wildatheart

Ultimately the client is the one that will determine what is acceptable to them. It is however a trainers job to try to guide owners to look at options and perhaps try something new.

With this in mind, I always start each client with a private assessment before they start classes. This gives the client and myself a chance to get to know each other and develop an idea of the working relationship we need. Also I can introduce their dog to one of my own to see how they interact before we go into a class situation. Of course it also gives the client the chance to realise whether they will be comfortable working in the class, if not, then they can save time and money and move on.

There is no hard and fast rule to how to handle problems..... there are of course methods that we all like to use but it is the fun part of teaching to explore and develop new ways to understand the dog.

The biggest problem is that many owners say that they want to change the way their dog behaves but in reality they feel their dog is at fault. Even if they have good intentions unfortunately many owners are waiting for you to 'wave the magic wand'.

For me, I find that my first job is to explore the best way to convince an owner that they can make the changes they want.

Remember the old joke ".......... the lightbulb has to want to change"

Wildatheart

Ultimately the client is the one that will determine what is acceptable to them. It is however a trainers job to try to guide owners to look at options and perhaps try something new.

With this in mind, I always start each client with a private assessment before they start classes. This gives the client and myself a chance to get to know each other and develop an idea of the working relationship we need. Also I can introduce their dog to one of my own to see how they interact before we go into a class situation. Of course it also gives the client the chance to realise whether they will be comfortable working in the class, if not, then they can save time and money and move on.

There is no hard and fast rule to how to handle problems..... there are of course methods that we all like to use but it is the fun part of teaching to explore and develop new ways to understand the dog.

The biggest problem is that many owners say that they want to change the way their dog behaves but in reality they feel their dog is at fault. Even if they have good intentions unfortunately many owners are waiting for you to 'wave the magic wand'.

For me, I find that my first job is to explore the best way to convince an owner that they can make the changes they want.

Remember the old joke ".......... the lightbulb has to want to change"

KUDOS ALPHA.....YET ANOTHER GREAT POST...LOVED IT.

This thread is awesome to read guys!

Brad

Wild at Heart,

personally I prefer one certain method but am quite agreeable to go down other paths if my usual method won't work or if the client prefers another method.

As a trainer - I try to find what will work for the dog. Each dog is an individual, what works for one dog may not work for another.

Its helpful to have a whole lot of tricks in your bag. And i'm not backwards in asking for help from fellow trainers if I am not to find a method that works, other opinions are good as I may forget something or overlook something.

I also Agree with Alpha - an assessment before working with the dog is a must