Winter Coat Care

Hi to any/all that may have advice for me.

I have a large toy/small miniature cream poodle girl whose hair seems rather fleecy to me when compared to my friend's poodles very woolly coat. We got her thru poodle rescue and she looks just like a poodle but I really don't know her origins- I ramble.

I also have a lagotto. This is second winter with lagotto but first winter with poodle.

lagotto is easy peasy...just let winter coat grow into fine dreadlocks and clip in spring...no matting and no problem.

I have let our poodles coat grow too thinking it is winter and she will be nice and warm like lagotto boy BUT today realised she is starting to matt! I started clipping out the odd cottonwool patch and now she is all patchy. I have now scissored her down nearly all over(no mean feat) and up to her legs and paws which I will tackle tomorrow. I really don't like the show style cuts for her so always keep her like a little lamb in summer (especially like her face fluffy)

My question is...how often and how short should I clip her? I don't find any comb, brush or slicker that I currently own to be very effective at getting thru her fur at all.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions anyone may have to offer. :)

Even thoughh its winter dont fall into the trap of not getting the dog groomed.

I did a poodle yesterday that took 3 hrs & was a felted mess

Just clip her short & start again.a #4 blade should still be able to get through & the dog will be more comfy for it

At this stage, you may need to have her clipped down (or scissor her down) and use coats to keep her warm.

You can certainly grow her coat longer over winter, but you will need to learn how to brush it properly, and brush it out every second day if she has the finer type coat. You may need to brush daily if she is getting wet or even when it is very humid. Those fine (incorrect) coats are not for the faint hearted.

Otherwise, a short clip to your preferred style and a nice wardrobe of warm coats can keep the work down, but regular brushing is still a must.

Some of the paler coloured poodles have softer, less curly coats than the darker ones. If you want that dense, crisp, curly coat that water runs off, chances are it's a black poodle that will have it.

My white toy's coat is as you describe. It gets pin knots very easily.

I use a 5# blade on her body in summer and a 4# in winter. If she needs to, she wears a coat. I prefer coating to trying to keep long body hair knot free.

ETA: I clip with same frequency summer and winter - every 3-4 weeks.

Edited by poodlefan

Any Poodle needs to be thoroughly brushed/combed at LEASt twice a week to prevent matting. I used to do mine three times a week plus shampoo each two to three weeks.

My groomer loved doing her as I never left it ALL for the poor groomer to sort out.

I would recommend investing in a decent force dryer it is a life saver in managing poodle coats, no matter what the length is bath and fluff dry once a week to once a fortnight it straightens and separates the coat making it easier to brush and comb. I would also use a blocking blade/snap on comb number 1 or 2 to clip her all over. Never let a coat like this sit wet or air dry.

Thank you all!

I had no idea what I should be doing. Sounds like I need to invest in some dog clippers and give her a good brush tomorrow. I think I'll get her clipped down properly soon even tho it is a bit cool (22 degrees tomorrow tho...yippee)

Poor little thing looks all moth eaten after I have attacked her with scissors. Thank you once again. :)