Growing Pains Or Not {gsd}?

catjar

Hey Every one, Just wanting some opinions on my pup. He is 8 months old and already 37kgs, he is not over weight but extremely large. I have noticed he has a slight limp every now and then only recently and i am wondering could or do dogs get growing pains. To my knowledge he hasn't injured himself but he does play rough with my girl. We have limited his access to all stairs by put in gates so i now that he has only supervised access to them when we are at home. I have already recieved a few opinions on what i should be feeding and i am feeding on Iams large breed puppy. My confusion comes in on whether to feed puppy food or adult and can some advise on the correct ratios of fat etc i need to be looking at. Also has anyone ever had a similar problem and what was the outcome?. I purchased him from an extremely reputable breeder and have all hip and elbow score from parents. Please advise as i dont want to do the wrong thing and will adult food harm him before he reaches maturity : :

It could well be panoestitis. Panoestitis is growing pains. I think you should visit the vet for a positive diagnosis as he may need antibiotics.

I would continue to feed him a balanced premium food and change to an adult formulation such as Eukanuba or Royal Canin. I would go for a Maintenance version, not a Performance version of the dog food as the Performance version may be too high in protein. I would not let him romp with another dog until you sort his problem out.

The vet can advise you.

Edited by Scales of Justice

Hi-You have a very large pup, soft bones in a growth phase, and a limp. Not a good combination

I would recommend two things- speak to your breeder, and get the pup vet checked/xrayed etc, to find out what the limp is.

better to find out now, and be able to adjust diet/exercise accordingly, than to wait, and maybe exacerbate a condition.

Have you read the thread on "Limping 9 months German Shepherd"?

It's just a little further down on this discussion page.

Without exhaustive veterinary tests and it is impossible to say exactly what is wrong but you may find the information on that thread worthwhile and interesting reading should you have confirmation of the possible cause of your puppys limp.

Have you been to a vet? How long has he been limping? I know it's hard taking a dog with an intermitten limp to the vets, I've been through this myself.

Edited by LizT

He has been limping for about 1.5 to 2 weeks and it is very on and off., no i dont think i have read the thread, but will definitley do so. I would be interested in trying the adult food that someone suggested , but will that be ok. That was something we were told to do the day we got him by the breeder, but when you go for a vet visit they tell you "no" that they need to be on puppy food, so you get alot of conflicting advise from ALL the people how have knowledge in the doggy word, It makes it hard to know who to believe and i hope that his limping has nothing to do with our desicion to feeed on puppy as suggested by the vet.

Edited by catjar

I would get a vet to check his hips out to see if they are popping in and out or if the vet can locate a sore spot.

If it was his knees he would be most likely bunny hopping rather then limping.

I would also be resting him if you notice him limping again.

Why is it that puppy buyers refuse to listen to breeders and instead listen to vets?

Vets do very little in the way of animal nutrition. Breeders do far more research and have far more knowledge than vets in that regard.

One of my recent puppy purchasers went and bought a small bag of kibble for there pup at the vets and was then given the third degree by the vet nurse as to why they werent buying a larger bag. They informed her it was because (I) the breeder wanted him on adult food by 16 weeks to grow him slowly. They were basically told that they shouldnt do it and the vet would be brought out to tell them as well. They stood there ground thank goodness bought the small bag and left and then informed me. Personally i would not be going back there nor should they. This was a pup that was the true runt of the litter so I had asked that they hold off on the switch over for a couple of weeks to give him a chance to catch up to where his brothers were.

If your breeder suggested you switch to adult why havent you? And have you informed them you are still feeding puppy and the issues you are now having??

All of my dogs go on to adult at 4-5 mths and i havent had a problem with joints,there feet are very well knuckled up.My puppy buyers are also advised to do this as well.Large breed dogs ,well my breed anyway,should grow slowly especially 5-10 mths when there biggest growth occurs.I do not and never will feed "premium" foods,i have seen nothing but problems with them especially some of the ones formulated for giant breed pups.Pup needs to be xrayed before any problem is exacerbated.

most vets only know what they read on the back of a dog food packet

There is nothing wrong with an adult large breed food (I would go something better then Iams) or even a giant breed puppy food like Eagle Pack or Royal Canin if you want a true puppy food as he is well oversized for a GSD of his age.

The ratios of minerals etc are the same the simple fact is the protein and fat decrease as the adult dog does no longer need those higher 'growing' levels. Saying that larger/giant breeds need a more adult level of these as their growth is not fast like smaller breeds but prolonged and sustained over a long period.

Thanks for all your advise, i have decide after some more exploring that i will change him to adult food, ideally what % would i be looking at for protien, i was recently advise to try super coat , anyones view is welcome please. As for not believing the breeder that was certainly not the case in fact in their diet sheet it was stated to use puppy food but then verbally suggested maybe adult if we wanted to slow growth. When you are unfamiliar with the rapidness of the growth and looking at an 8 week old puppy ,i think most people would choose a puppy food , assuming they were doing the right thing, and the last thing we wanted to do is cause our puppy harm. I am sure it must be quite frustrating if you are a breeder to hear these problems relating to diet but please understand that you ( a human) go to the doctor if you are sick, so you would take your pet to the vet and assume that their advise was correct. i appreciate ALL your views and please keep them comin

hi centiout, what breed do you have?

Hi Catjar

I have Bloodhounds-a giant breed which can suffer from joint problems when let grow too heavy,too fast.I have sold several pups where the vets advised the new owners to feed super premium food,as a result these pups developed splayed,weak feet,went down in the wrists badly.They contacted me ,put the pups straight onto majority raw/low protein dry and their feet within 4 weeks were back to the way they should be.My male was 65 kg when he was put down in june,and that was with cancer,he was very large for a bloodhound and when i got him he was that weak in the feet and legs he basically couldnt stand up,he was splay footed,toes all pointed up,cow hocked and down in the wrists.The young vet that was filling in for my regular vet told me to start him on high dose calcium supps and put him onto a premium food ! He had been on nutro puppy with his breeder.

So while vets do know a lot of things,so also do breeders.

post-7731-1249935464_thumb.jpg