First Dslr - What Else Do I Need?

~JoLu~

There has been many threads on which camera for beginner DSLR etc. which I have read and digested best I could.

I've gone and "handled" some and am tossing up between the Canon 1000D and the Canon 450D. Probably the 1000D as it's my first good camera, but am trying to keep the costs down, but I don't want to get sold stuff I don't need, just because I am a newbie :D

My question is, what "extras" do I need to get started? They seem to have lens kits to start you off with. Do I need the twin lens kit, or will just the single lens kit suffice. Apart from a good case to keep it all safe, is there anything else that is recommended to get me going - spare battery, ???

I will be mainly wanting to photograph people (portraits), wildlife (doggies of course) as well as "action" shots - well anything really :love:

I am going to the races on Saturday and would love to give it a good go there - even if it's just fumbling my way around the camera :)

Thank you oh knowledgeable DOL photo type people :laugh:

Edited by maya papaya

Congratulations!!

Here's what I would get first up

- at least two memory cards. 4GB minimum each. Memory is so cheap that having a backup, even a smaller card, should just be standard. You may never use it, but what if you do need it? For a few bucks, it's totally worth it. I never go anywhere without a backup card - even when I just go out with the girls with my baby camera for some romping time.

- rocket blower or similar for blasting dust and grit off with no effort. These are cheap and SO worthwhile

- some lens cleaning cloths: either disposable or the microfibre or both. I only carry the non-disposable ones.

- a bag: don't worry about getting the perfect bag. You're going to be buying more :laugh: If you have one that you can modify to get started that's great coz your bag needs will evolve and I don't know anyone who doesn't have three or four camera bags as they try to find the right one LOL

- card reader

Here's what I'd get first up if I had a little extra cash

- spare battery. You're going to want one of these but dslr batteries last so danged long that - for me - this isn't an essential right out of the gate.

Flashes, meters, tripods, filters and other bits and bobs I wouldn't buy right away until you have your hands on your camera and figure out what YOU need. A salesperson, no matter how good, isn't really going to be able to tell you that as everyone has different needs and because needs/wants often change once you actually use the gear.

If you just had to buy accessories now I would head for a flash first as it will open a whole new world for you.

I don't know which kit lenses come with this body?

I'm curious about your recommendation to get a card reader as an essential kja. I don't have one and can't see that I would ever actually buy one, as I just connect the camera to my laptop via the USB cable that came with the camera. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but when would you use a card reader? Does it hook up directly to your printer so you don't need a computer or is it just an alternate way to get the images from the card to the computer?

I do the same as you but alot of people think it's a bad idea. something about risking damaging the camera but I dont really understand why, no one has explained it.

Hadnt thought about plugging the camera into the computer (yet have had friends need to access the images on raceday with a laptop and copy a few over). My last two computers have had a card slot in the front of them.

I'd think camera body and twin lens kit then you would need extra memory card (if you will copy images to computer at end of day 2GB is fine but 4GB is a bonus HOWEVER if you dont have mega loads of memory the bigger the card the slower to download will be - my old computer struggled with 2GB cards).

And a second battery and a bag to carry everything in and as a luxury a bouncy neck strap (mine is a lowerpro something but its more forgiving on your neck then the one that comes with the camera).

Congratulations!!

I don't know which kit lenses come with this body?

Thanks ;)

Canon 1000D comes with Twin IS Lens kit which is: 18-55mm IS & 55-250mm IS (which is all gobbledegook to me :o ). Also comes in single and non IS Lens kits.

To all who replied, thank you for the advice. I will make up a list of "must haves" and ring around and try and get a good deal ;)

There seems to be some good deals online, but I worry about spending so much money and having such and expensive item/s sent through the post ;)

I got my Canon 450D for $1240 with a free bag at JB Hi-Fi.

They beat the internet price I had and the price from the goodguys without even checking up on it.

I guess that is without a lens kit. I see they have the Canon 1000D with Twin IS Lens Kit for $1193 - but I think that is an online price.

JB Hi Fi are on my list of stores to ring. I might try ShopRite actually (part of my union membership) they are supposed to help hunt down good prices ;)

Short answer on the card reader - because I don't want to jack around with plugging my camera in. What if the dogs do something crazy cute while it's downloading and I can't use it? For the $15 a card reader costs it's a no brainer for me. Anything that makes my life easier is a good thing :mad

Card readers are also faster transfer rates.

It's always plugged in to a usb port on my computer so I don't have to futz with anything.

There can be problems when downloading from a camera. I've never done it this way so can't speak from first hand knowledge but I'm guessing that google will come up with all sorts of information.

If you're going to get the lenses, get the IS versions. They are that much better. Those two lenses are a nice range covered which should give you lots to play with and learn. They aren't the fastest lenses on the planet, but they'll do nicely to get you started and to help you decide what you really like to shoot and what your needs are. After a while you'll be able to decide if you need anything else and more importantly, what you actually want - at least in the ballpark. There are so many choices out there that having some idea before you start shopping for high end lenses can save you lots of cash :mad

You're going to love whatever you get!

don't forget that JB and Clive Anthony's are basically the same store BUT the clive Anthony's here give a better price at times so still check with both.

If you are taking action shots I would definalty consider a high speed memory card and then a cheaper backup card if you can't afford 2 fast ones.

Check your pc/laptop before you buy a card reader as there might be a slot for an SD card already if it was purchased within the last 2-3 years.

Clive Anthony's also have a better range of bags (such as backpacks etc as well as the standard bags) jb only have standard camera bags.

I'm curious about your recommendation to get a card reader as an essential kja. I don't have one and can't see that I would ever actually buy one, as I just connect the camera to my laptop via the USB cable that came with the camera. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but when would you use a card reader? Does it hook up directly to your printer so you don't need a computer or is it just an alternate way to get the images from the card to the computer?

I did a camera course and the teacher said if you down load the photos straight from your camera and the computer shuts down or you have a power serge or black out you could loose your photos. You also have the possibility of doing damage to your camera if this happens. With a card reader you will not loose the photos on your card or damage your camera. Its a must have in my opinion.

I have a Sony A700 and brought my gear from Teds camera house, they let me take three SLR cameras home. I got to take one at a time for a week each to try them out. I now have a few extra lenses and I brought them on ebay and haven't had a problem.

Edited by mish13

Thanks mish13 & altheau, but unfortunately we have neither Teds or Clive Anthonys in WA. Nice of Teds to let you take them home to try though mish.

I'm going to price camera & twin is lens kit at hardly normals tomorrow, then ring shop rite and see if they can get me a better price.

Our day at the races is off, so if it's a nice day on Saturday I'm going to try and convince OH we should go to the zoo (my favourite place on earth) - a good place to play with my new toy :thumbsup:

I have my 1000D :happydance:.

It's purty :D

I'm waiting for it to charge up so I can start pressing buttons and see what they do - or I could just read the manual :winner: Nah, I'll just press buttons :cheer::rock:

I got the twin IS lens kit, cleaning stuff, a bag, a 4gb card and the guy even threw in a tripod ;) I didn't really want a tripod, but he included it anway :cheer: oh well :p I need to get a spare battery, but I might sorce that online. Oh and I forgot about the card reader, but can pick that up anywhere :)

Tomorrow will hopefully be a nice day, so I plan on going up to our block and take some piccies :D

OH is too scared to ask me what I spent - he just saw the bag and the lenses and I think he thinks I bought something really really expensive (as in 1000's of $$$) :rofl: :p

I have my 1000D :happydance:.

It's purty :D

I'm waiting for it to charge up so I can start pressing buttons and see what they do - or I could just read the manual :winner: Nah, I'll just press buttons :cheer::rock:

I got the twin IS lens kit, cleaning stuff, a bag, a 4gb card and the guy even threw in a tripod ;) I didn't really want a tripod, but he included it anway :cheer: oh well :p I need to get a spare battery, but I might sorce that online. Oh and I forgot about the card reader, but can pick that up anywhere :)

Tomorrow will hopefully be a nice day, so I plan on going up to our block and take some piccies :D

OH is too scared to ask me what I spent - he just saw the bag and the lenses and I think he thinks I bought something really really expensive (as in 1000's of $$$) :rofl: :p

wow, sounds like a good deal! I think you'll probably use the tripod too, I haven't got one yet but I sure could use one. Have fun with all your new toys. Nothing else has made me feel more like a kid at Christmas than taking my new camera and lenses out of their boxes and trying them out. It's FUN!!

Edited by Kirislin

The encouragement here is great :clap: although OH probably doesn't think so :thumbsup: Don't worry, he'll come 'round :whee:

Kirislin - Hoorah for taking new things out of their boxes :cooldance::thumbsup:

Bindi and JS - I checked out both your photos in the street photography thread - nice work. I have a long way to go, but lots to aspire too :party:

kja - I'm not one for reading manuals, though I did have a quick flick through whilst I waited for it to charge :cheers:

Well, I had a little play last night. Unfortuantely it was late and my subjects were more interested in sleeping :cheer: but mainly I just played with the different auto settings (close up and portait) to see what they had to offer (and because I can't buy things and not play with them :champagne: ). Bearing in mind I had just upgraded from a 7.2mp Sony Cybershot that cost $90, I was pretty impressed with having zoom and being able to get close up and the detail :cheer: Hopefully I can get outside today and use natural light, although it's pretty overcast today - in fact here comes the rain.

I'm haven't had a play with the software yet either - there is so much to learn - yay :thumbsup:

Here is my very first photo on my new camera :cheer:

001.jpg

Some more:

042.jpg

028.jpg

Edited by maya papaya

I got my Canon 450D for $1240 with a free bag at JB Hi-Fi.

They beat the internet price I had and the price from the goodguys without even checking up on it.

I guess that is without a lens kit. I see they have the Canon 1000D with Twin IS Lens Kit for $1193 - but I think that is an online price.

JB Hi Fi are on my list of stores to ring. I might try ShopRite actually (part of my union membership) they are supposed to help hunt down good prices :thumbsup:

It was with a twin lens kit :thumbsup: