Dried Roo Bones

Red Fox

A few weeks ago I bought Kei a dried roo bone (Vpd Treats Kanga Large Dog Teeth Cleaner) which he absolutely loved -meat is gone but he's still chewing on it. I was planning on getting a few more but at almost $6 each (+ postage) it's not the cheapest treat around. So I did a quick internet search and found this place: http://roochoos.com.au/index.html Their prices are excellent but this statement caught my attention-

Dried Bones are 100% natural, and no preservatives are added, we simply dry them at high heat to remove bacteria and package to keep freshness.

So here's my question. Does drying bones at high heat make them brittle in the sense that cooking bones does and if so would that make them at all dangerous?

In our case Kei likes to tear the meat off and then chew on the ends of the bone but does not seem to be interested in actually ingesting the bone itself, so I wonder if this makes a difference :laugh: I don't think I'd feel comfortable in giving something like this to a dog who I though would try and ingest the lot.

And yes, he does get plenty of raw bones to chew on -I was just looking for something a bit different to give as a treat every now and then.

Oppinions appreciated :cry:

I stopped feeding roo tail for that reason. The ones I was getting were oven dried though .... but yeah, it increased the likelihood of splintering.

I had fed many before knowing this and had no problems ..... but im not going to take that chance after being informed.

I occassionally give dried or frozen roo tails (only when I can supervise) and I find neither dog actually eats the bone but rips the meat off the bone.

I haven't had a problem with feeding either but I have often wondered how the dried bones were different from cooked bones....

Chloe loves dried roos tails. She strips them of the meat and then takes the vertebrae apart and eats the intervertebral discs. Usually ends up with bits of bones all over the place!

I bought a heap of them from a DOLer once, if only I could remember who it was!

Also wondering about the dried roo tails? I am looking for a chew treat I can leave Shyla with a few times a week. She had her first dried roo tail today and LOVED it. Or should I stick to the naturally sun dried beef tendons I have been giving her? I want to buy Bully sticks too as they are apparently good?

Also wondering about the dried roo tails? I am looking for a chew treat I can leave Shyla with a few times a week. She had her first dried roo tail today and LOVED it. Or should I stick to the naturally sun dried beef tendons I have been giving her? I want to buy Bully sticks too as they are apparently good?

Try the raw Roo Tails they're fantastic, although my GR finished it in just under 15 mins. I havent fed raw for a LONG time, but in discussion on another forum, i mentioned about tartar building up and the fact she has a sensitive stomach too scared to go down raw route as she had severe runs for 3-5 days in a row when she had raw meat and bones. We had tried Chicken, Beef and Lamb at different times and with the same response.

So i decided it was worth a go, I tried her today and there haven't been any problem at all. I am surprised that she hasn't reacted at all actually. I know what she will be having in conjunction with her usual dry food diet, she LOVED the Roo Tail as it also had alot of meat on it too. I checked her teeth afterward and they looked considerably better. She hasn't had bones or raw food since January.

Will Shyla eat raw? I think it would be better having it raw than smoked or dried.

Edited by LucyCharzie