Sue Hogben Seminar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what did you guys learn today :mad .

RubyStar learned how to get out of playing aeroplanes by keeping her hand firmly on her hip :(

yep Sue had the entire workshop playing aeroplanes...except Ruby Star and myself. I was holding someones dog for them :)

Hmm any tips on dogs who switch off at the start peg

yes she did and it made perfect sense. She said you are warming up your dog, giving treats, rewarding then it is time for you to go in the ring and you show your dog there is nothing left.( I have seen so many people do that but never given it a second thought)

dog thinks oh so we are finished. She spoke of the element of hidden treats or rather pretending you have hidden treats or whatever the motivator is.

Edited by Rusky

Lara had a wonderful day and she has been alseep since we got home. All these new exercises that she thinks that she has never seen before. :mad Oh to get old have get doggie alzheimers :)

What did I learn. Hmm once again there are big holes in my stay training which is why my dogs moves in the SFE and drops during the sit stays.

Sue did a terrific job with Katie a 17 week old BC puppy - and as I said at the time - she was doing better stays than my UD dog :(

So what did you guys learn today ;) .

RubyStar learned how to get out of playing aeroplanes by keeping her hand firmly on her hip :)

yep Sue had the entire workshop playing aeroplanes...except Ruby Star and myself. I was holding someones dog for them :(

:laugh: I did an aeroplane pose for Janice when she had the camera out, so if she happened to snap a shot of me looking like a dork then I can pretend I really was doing aeroplanes!

I learned that I wanna trade my two in and start again with a cute little fluffy puppy :D

I will be working on the stays for my two, stays are a big hole in my training too (amongst all the other holes :() And I need to do bucket loads of distraction work! (but that part I already knew... you tend to be aware of every distraction possible when you own a Labrador...)

Edited by RubyStar

I have been flogging stays recently since Kenzie has decided her version of a stay only needs to last for 15 seconds before she throws herself at me :( . Go Katie :laugh: .

Great that Lara had a wonderful day :D .

Thanks for sharing - sounds like it was fantastic and people learn't plenty.

Edited by ness

I learnt to watch the dogs feet in stays not the dogs face. Sue said most people underpay their dogs which I now realise I was guilty of so more food/play rewards. I'm going to work on our release to. :laugh:

I learnt to watch the dogs feet in stays not the dogs face. Sue said most people underpay their dogs which I now realise I was guilty of so more food/play rewards. I'm going to work on our release to. :laugh:

did you have a staffy with you ? I was cuddling a big solid staffy, just looking at your avatar.

I think I could make some money renting myself out as a distraction. :(

There are a couple of dogs that were doing really well until I walked anywhere near them and then they lost it :(

*cough* namely my ratbag :laugh: Well, except she wasn't doing really well before you walked up either, but was all lost when you or Deb came by!

Can you rent yourself out as a figure 8 post for me too? Cos that is some good distraction work - Ruby stops to say hello to her figure 8 posts quite often :D

I also learnt I need to be more consistent with my release cue, and that it needs more work as she feels she can release herself from a stay when Sandi walks by.....

did you have a staffy with you ? I was cuddling a big solid staffy, just looking at your avatar.

Yes that was me and my Staffy Banjo :D . He got a few cuddles. He loved it.

Sue did a terrific job with Katie a 17 week old BC puppy - and as I said at the time - she was doing better stays than my UD dog :laugh:

Does this mean Sue tends to start stays with puppies when they're still pretty young?

:D Rivsky - Ptolomy tells me toller puppies are very different to BC puppies :( . She tells me tollers have attention spans of a gnat and won't start them on stays until they are older (well going on what she said for Beans :laugh: ). Will have to see what she does with young Cider.

As for release cues - I think Sandi has that effect on lots of dogs. I remember doing stays with her crew - might have been the youngsters Beans and Lexi and Sandi went back and fed her two kids a treat and fed Ness one and well Ness thought that was her release cue :( . Will admit Sandi had broken her two off from the stay though so it was a bit unfair.

Edited by ness

Yes that was me and my Staffy Banjo :( . He got a few cuddles. He loved it.

I think I saw you and was going to come over in the break but you disappeared :( But then again I didn't wanna say "hey are you from DOL?" and get a weird look in case you weren't :D

Sue did a terrific job with Katie a 17 week old BC puppy - and as I said at the time - she was doing better stays than my UD dog :laugh:

Does this mean Sue tends to start stays with puppies when they're still pretty young?

I think she started them on the concept of not moving their feet and introducing a release cue, so the stays were still really, really short. As they get older, the length of time before they get a release cue increases.

I learnt to watch the dogs feet in stays not the dogs face. Sue said most people underpay their dogs which I now realise I was guilty of so more food/play rewards. I'm going to work on our release to. :rasberry:

Yes that was me and my Staffy Banjo :mad . He got a few cuddles. He loved it.

I think I saw you and was going to come over in the break but you disappeared :) But then again I didn't wanna say "hey are you from DOL?" and get a weird look in case you weren't :cheer:

:laugh:

I saw you to. Ruby was very well behaved sitting quitely in her crate. I had to keep feeding Banjo treats to stop him screaming :D .

Can you rent yourself out as a figure 8 post for me too? Cos that is some good distraction work - Ruby stops to say hello to her figure 8 posts quite often

borrow some people tomorrow night. I will find some randoms for you. And Katie, you can come home with us..can you cook? :rasberry:

All this talk on stay training and not moving feet and release cues actually motivated me enough tonight to work on the midget some more :D . I was throwing balls everywhere, teasing her with tug toys, tossing tug ropes over the top of her head behind her and she was pretty good on the whole. She moved a few times but only the first time, second time I couldn't get her to budge even move one foot. Was doing all three positions easily and had very nice solid stand stays even with me rolling the ball slowly past her or circling each foot with the ball :D .