Sue Hogben Seminar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It went very well :eek:

She says Ruby actually enjoys heeling :laugh: Who woulda thunk it?? Certainly not me :rofl:

She also says Ruby finds playing the touch game fun so start introducing that as her reward and then back it up with a food reward, and occasionally drop the food reward and just reward with the touch game, so when we need to resort to just the touch game in the ring, not having a food reward after won't be such a big deal or a shock to her.

As we all know, there is no magic fix for being able to stop using treats, it's a gradual thing, so we just need to keep working on upping repetitions on things and duration before she is treated, and not pay for anything less than what we expect ;)

I'm still not 100% sure how to tackle the training motivation, or lack thereof, when we start a session and she hasn't seen any treats. I've just gotta keep the element of surprise in where the treats are dispensed from, but that first "surprise! there are actually treats on offer" is going to be a hard one to crack. Once she knows treats are available, whether hidden or not, she's a different dog and ready to work, but getting her in that mode right away I am still struggling with :) I think the element of surprise in that treats can come from anywhere at anytime will hopefully eventually get her to the stage that she will work anytime I ask, without having to bribe her upfront...

Edited by RubyStar

It went very well :)

She says Ruby actually enjoys heeling :rofl: Who woulda thunk it?? Certainly not me :eek:

She also says Ruby finds playing the touch game fun so start introducing that as her reward and then back it up with a food reward, and occasionally drop the food reward and just reward with the touch game, so when we need to resort to just the touch game in the ring, not having a food reward after won't be such a big deal or a shock to her.

As we all know, there is no magic fix for being able to stop using treats, it's a gradual thing, so we just need to keep working on upping repetitions on things and duration before she is treated, and not pay for anything less than what we expect :)

Let me offer you some encouragement and say Beans is proof that the touch game and pairing it with food does work. She scored 30/30 for heel free on Saturday ;)

Its hard not to reward efforts that are near enough and sometimes you don't even realise that you are doing it :laugh:

Let me offer you some encouragement and say Beans is proof that the touch game and pairing it with food does work. She scored 30/30 for heel free on Saturday ;)

Its hard not to reward efforts that are near enough and sometimes you don't even realise that you are doing it :eek:

Way to go, Beans!! :rofl: You got a video? You know, you really need to keep your YouTube channel up to date! :laugh::)

I'm sure I reward all "near enoughs" as I rarely get spot on :) And it usually takes someone watching you to point out what you've done wrong, as it's hard to see where you're standing even though you're the one right next to the dog!!

I am really bad for cheap rewarding. Still yet to find something that Ness finds rewarding enough to use in the ring. Hand touches don't seem to work for us. They do work to a varying degree for Kenzie but just working is rewarding for her.

Have a brilliant idea RS you can pay for my airfares and I will come act as your scribe for the day :laugh: .

Ummmmm.... yeah, nice try :eek:

I do need a training partner, and badly! Move to Perth and you can get the um, pleasure? of working with me! :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

I am really bad for cheap rewarding. Still yet to find something that Ness finds rewarding enough to use in the ring. Hand touches don't seem to work for us. They do work to a varying degree for Kenzie but just working is rewarding for her.

Ness sounds a bit like Ruby, not motivated by much except for food?

As for Millie, just me interacting with her is enough to get her going (hmm unless there's a great scent on the ground!) I'm using hand touches with her too but while they're not as strong as Ruby's, she still does them, but I can just rough her up a bit in play and she thinks it's great :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Er yep Ness is motivated by nothing other than her stomach - Ptolomy can vouch for that after having let us train with her for a couple of weeks :eek: . Oh wait the other thing Ness is motivated by is missing out on her turn :laugh: .

Just said to Ptolomy, if Kenzie is every lacking in drive which is hardly ever then all one has to do is mention enduroball and she goes berserk - thats her version of a jackpot :) . Have to say I am yet to encounter any serious desire to sniff from miss K when she is working. Even when we went to a new training place yesterday to do some agility the moment we were doing stuff she didn't care about sniffing the ground. Obviously there was good stuff there though as once I had disengaged her from the task she was quite taken in the smells :rofl: .

As for moving to Perth - grrrrrrr you guys are hopeless. I have Ptolomy telling me I really need to come to the Nationals as deep down I really want to and well you aren't helping ;) . Hmm anybody know of any law jobs in WA at the moment :) .

Shame Ness doesn't like other dogs, her and Ruby sound like they would get on like a house on fire - motivated by food and missing out! But Ruby is friendly to the point of annoying, so Ness would probably tell her where to go :)

:rofl: Hey don't blame me for making you want to come to Perth! Don't know of any law jobs as I work in IT :laugh: but there are plenty of jobs around until a law one comes up ;)

Sorry Tiggy, we've just totally highjacked your thread :eek:

Edited by RubyStar

:laugh: love thread hijacking. Ness tolerates dogs - hmm she actually doesn't tell them where to go which is why Kenzie still tries her on for a game 16 months down the track :rofl: . Its pretty hilarious to watch Kenzie throw her enduroball at Ness - its soccer ball size so she nose butts it into Ness (wherever Ness happens to be laying chewing on bones in the yard :eek: ) and then sits there and barks at her or until I rescue the ball.

I did think of moving to Perth and then it occurred to me I might not be welcome cos I ask too many questions and send to many emails :) .

Edited by ness

If anyone thinks there child is naughty i can offer a challenge for you.

Smart ass ,willing to learn just has a lazy owner :rofl:

He can light switches on/off.Does hand target,high fives,shake,ball obsessed with no training,shows like adream on a lose lead but a turd on a walking lead LOL