New Tricks For A Big Dog

jaybeece

At dog school we're told to teach the dogs new tricks at home and so far I've recycled a couple of old ones so we need more!

Thing is he's waaaay too big to be able to any of the more athletic tricks like hand stands, he can't physically sit up to beg and I've given up on roll over because he's so incredibly awkward. He can do a left hand shake and a right hand shake which I'm going to work into waving when I lift my left or right leg up (suggested by our trainer) and he can crawl along the ground commando style but now I don't know what else to try.

Balancing food on his nose has been completely unsuccessful over the years, failed at speak too as he's just not an enthusiastic barker.

Any suggestions? :laugh:

EDIT: forgot to add, needs to be able to be done onlead and in front of a class of people

Edited by jaybeece

Big dogs can easily learn to bow..... looks soooo cute and people who are nervous of big dogs tend to relax when they see the bow.

Other tricks to try.

Walking backwards - when really established you can walk in heel and then walk backwards and dog stays in heel and backs up.

Spin - start slow as big dogs take a bit longer. Once dog is comfortable you can walk the dog at heel and have him spin as you walk along.

Say Your Prayers - I had a big GSD who would place his front feet on a table then drop his head between his feet, maintain the position until i say Amen! Real crowd pleaser.

Dead Dog

Check out Youtube for ideas, I find lots of ideas on it and also some lessons on how to teach some tricks. My dog has her own channel which shows some ideas for tricks you might like to check it out, it's ozpawfx. Also if you go into my profile page on youtube I have several good sites that I subscribe to that might be useful to you. Also there is a website called Dog tricks academy that has some good ideas and regular challenges for new tricks.

If you have an idea for a trick and are not sure how to go about teaching it then just ask as there are many knowedgable people on here that can give assistance. I'm happy to help too, just not sure how good I am at explaining things, but happy to try if I can help.

• 4 months later...

HI Jaybeece,

I just wanted to add a couple of things.

Instead of teaching him to wave when you raise your leg - teach him to wave when you wave at him (much cuter!) The great thing about big dogs is that any tricks involving their paws are really easy to teach :thumbsup: so don't forget 'high five'.

teaching him to lift his paw when you lift your leg is great though, as it is the first step in teaching 'marching paws'.

about 'spin': Don't forget that you will need one command for a spin to the right and a different command for a spin to the left (I used 'twist' for turning to the his right - 'spin' for the left). Dogs don't generalise... and its good to specify what direction :)

another good and easy fun one is just to teach your dog to touch his nose to something. This can also end up a great training tool, and preparation for using 'targeting sticks'.

I have a dog with cruciate issues so he can't balance to beg either but I have modified it so I ask him to say please and pop out my knee. He sits on his haunches and places his front paws on my knee.

Spin and turn. Same trick just use different hands for each one.. this can then be turned into a figure 8.

Walking backwards (already mentioned I see)

I taught a puppy to shake hands but was careful to only pay it for the "correct hand". The taught Hi 5... and only paid if she presented the opposite paw to my hand. So mirrored my actions.

Ooh also one I saw at puppy school was a lab that was taught to go and say hello to everyone at the start of the night. It would go around and place it's head in each person's lap and wait for you to stroke its head before moving to the next one. Very cute.

:eek: I see others have posted similar tricks since I started typing and then got distracted with my woofers.

Edited by Ams