Vicious Dog At Large.

tybrax

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think a Rotty or Mastiff owner just to name a few other breeds, would call their dogs Cuddles or Blossom or Tinkles???

It's just a name FFS get over It

:D Touchy!

Having my breed hammered down on at the drop of every hat!!! you bet I'm touchy

It's nothing but nit picking just to cause shit, who cares what the dog's name was

Guest rhapsodical78

Hm. There appear to be certain people who deliberately try to start arguments with those in the BSL thread who are, obviously, just voicing their opposition of BSL.

There are many issues involved with the vilification of certain breeds and most of those against BSL believe that ALL these issues have a part to play.

The main issues discussed here appear to be:

- Media mis-identification - this happens and happens often. I think we all know that.

- Irresponsible ownership - again, quite common.

The issues NOT being debated here despite the strange misconception in this thread are:

- All dogs are capable of attacking - did someone here say they weren't? Because some here are arguing the point and I don't see anyone opposing this claim

- The dogs responsible for the attack should not be euthanised - again - where did anyone say that? Can someone please point this out?

In summary, people should be able to express their distaste for the elements that encourage BSL in a BSL thread and the issues here aren't mutually exclusive. No one knows for sure what breed the dog in question was, but given the commonality of media misidentification I think it's valid to question the information. Just because irrensponsible ownership may have a part to play doesn't mean the dog in question is a pitbull.

What I do take exception to is the common inference that people in the BSL thread are irresponsible thugs. I think it's time to realise that not all pit bull owners or enthusiasts are bad owners and it's not only insulting to suggest so, but very bad for the breed image.

Edited by rhapsodical78

This was my point with regard to BSL forum blow ins, most of them couldnt care less about the topic at hand, only here to stir trouble with people who are passionate about the topic. I think theres a label for people like that and it starts with a T.

One of the things glossed over by a lot of people in these topics is that there are people out there who want a tough looking dog to back up their tough image and they do call them by tough names. It is unfortunate because they do reflect badly on dog ownership and on the breeds they decide to own.

And I do agree - any dog can bite and often the smaller and cuter the dog the more they get away with.

By the way I used to have a bull terrier x called Puddle :D

Right, so dogs with red noses are pitbulls?

My god read my post again...............Where l have l stated dogs with red noses are pit bulls??

tybrax

Well, let's take a look at your posts:

In response to Kirty, you said:

Nope not true l have owned this breed for 13 years and still l cannot id them properly.

And people said, hang on, if someone who's had pitbulls for zonks can't ID them then golly, maybe no one can ID them. And you said, this wasn't a problem for you because:

l have only owned RED NOSES so it not problematic for me.

So, if a pitbull's identifying feature is it's red nose then logically, dogs with red noses are pitbulls.

Of course, that's stupid: pitbulls must be able to be identified by some other fashion other than their nose (otherwise that rednosed wheaten is in for a helluva shock).

If you cannot ID a pitbull and you've owned them for 13 years then how do you know they're pitbulls?

Guest rhapsodical78
If you cannot ID a pitbull and you've owned them for 13 years then how do you know they're pitbulls?

I'm assuming that Tybrax knows the lineage and breeders of most of her dogs. If she doesn't then I would assume that she would accept that the breed of her dogs is a strong suspicion and that it could be possible that there is something else in there. The fact is that without paperwork or knowledge of lineage no one can really ID any breed.

Edited by rhapsodical78

Guest rhapsodical78
According to NSW legislation, " breed assessors" can identify a resticted breed or cross and as yet there hasn't been anyone challenge it. No magistrate in this state has said otherwise.

Owners can call their dog what they like and ignore the laws in this state, however they do so at their dogs risk and any council officer may suspect it to be a Pit Bull and leave the owner to prove otherwise.

Honest question, SBT123 - Do you think the Pit Bull is a dangerous breed?

I think Pitbulls are a dangerous breed - in the wrong hands. Just like any other big, powerful breed.

Pitbulls aren't a registered breed here anyway, so how can you really KNOW you have a pitbull?

And as far as I have read, nobody is slamming PBs.

And just out of curiosity, if I don't know what a PB is and people experienced in the breed don't know what a PB is and the council assessors don't know what a PB is - then who IS qualified to identify one??

Guest rhapsodical78
I think Pitbulls are a dangerous breed - in the wrong hands. Just like any other big, powerful breed.

That question is specifically for SBT123.

Pitbulls aren't a registered breed here anyway, so how can you really KNOW you have a pitbull?

Re-read what I wrote to Sheridan.

And as far as I have read, nobody is slamming PBs.

No one said anyone was slamming pit bulls.

And just out of curiosity, if I don't know what a PB is and people experienced in the breed don't know what a PB is and the council assessors don't know what a PB is - then who IS qualified to identify one??

According to NSW legislation, " breed assessors" can identify a resticted breed or cross and as yet there hasn't been anyone challenge it. No magistrate in this state has said otherwise.

Owners can call their dog what they like and ignore the laws in this state, however they do so at their dogs risk and any council officer may suspect it to be a Pit Bull and leave the owner to prove otherwise.

Honest question, SBT123 - Do you think the Pit Bull is a dangerous breed?

I don't believe any individual to be "dangerous" , if owned responsibly and in capable/experienced hands. I do however believe that there are breeds that have the propensity to be dangerous through either deliberate mismanagement or inadvertantly through misunderstanding, lack of skill or underestimating the breeds requirements.

I don't believe that irresponsible ownership ( be it deliberate or inadvertant ) is resticted to large or powerful breeds. However the impacts of irresponsible dog ownership, including attacks on people and other dogs are much greater in the bigger more powerful breeds.

What I do believe is that no matter what breed of dog you have be it pint size or giant, you are bound just like every other owner to abide by whatever legislation applies to companion animals in your state and local council area, regardless of you agreeing with it or not. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the law you think should apply to you.

Blatant disregard for current legislation , does nothing for the cause and quite frankly it's only a matter of time before council catches up with owners and they find themselves up poo creek without a paddle.

Politicians logic ( or lack there of ) says that if something appears to be dangerous, causes harm or is the cause for complaint, then they make laws to restrict and place limitations on whatever they think the cause may be.

A wise man once said " go and knock on the doors of 10 houses in your neighbourhood and ask them ... should Pit Bulls be banned " , while the answer is still yes from the vast majority of people in this country, no Pollie is going to stick their neck out and ask for it to be over turned against popular opinion.

I've watched the same argument go around and around for 5 or so years now.. the recycled cries of " how do you know it was a Pit Bull " " they are the nanny dog ( which that title by the way belongs to the Stafford ) ", of course there's a changing of the guard every so often but it becomes very tiresome. Owners of PB's are viewed by many as redneck and irresponsible and progress to changing that perception has been zero. Blame the media, blame the goverment, blame whoever you want , start addressing the irresponsible dog owners in your own ranks and you might just make a start.

How is that an answer to my question??

I'm assuming that Tybrax knows the lineage and breeders of most of her dogs. If she doesn't then I would assume that she would accept that the breed of her dogs is a strong suspicion and that it could be possible that there is something else in there. The fact is that without paperwork or knowledge of lineage no one can really ID any breed.

Could you think about the illogic of what you wrote there?

People are complaining about BSL on pitbulls but as Kirty said, if she can't ID a pitbull, council people can't ID and pitbull, and here's the kicker, people who have pitbulls can't ID pitbulls, then there's an issue with pitbulls getting picked on because there seems to be no such thing as a pitbull.

Guest rhapsodical78

Could you think about the illogic of what you wrote there?

People are complaining about BSL on pitbulls but as Kirty said, if she can't ID a pitbull, council people can't ID and pitbull, and here's the kicker, people who have pitbulls can't ID pitbulls, then there's an issue with pitbulls getting picked on because there seems to be no such thing as a pitbull.

No breed can really be proven without papers, now can it? Isn't that the argument put forth by most breeders? If it has papers, then it's a certified pit. If not, then there's no proof. Pits are highly variable in appearance because they're purpose-bred - so that makes it even more difficult.

Just because you can't ID a pit on sighting it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Guest rhapsodical78

How is that an answer to my question??

Papers, my friend.

I haven't seen anyone slam pitbulls, but I have seen people slam irresponsible ownership. Until the issue of d******d owners is addressed we won't see BSL go away. No, I am not in here to cause trouble I actually do have an interest in BSL and how to eliminate it. I am involved in a project on owner characteristics and dog attacks so have a bit of knowledge on this. BSL is spreading in Australia, until people change their approach on how to fight it they will continue to lose the battle. I can't understand why the good pitbull owners aren't going after the rednecks with everything they have, THEY are the ones who are the cause of your problems.