Anyone Know Where To Get Id Bands?

Stitch

I want to get some ID bands like the ones they used to put on people in hospital.

I want to be able to identify puppies and put the ID bands around their necks.

Does anyone know where I can get them?

I think they are available in different colours.

Is this a good idea? Those hospital ID bands are very strong and don't break easily and I can well imagine puppies getting caught in each others bands and coming to grief. Is this just me that imagines this potential?

I know of some breeders who use different coloured nail polish to paint a splotch on the pup's coat. Yes, they need to refresh it periodically so it doesn't come off with any shedding. And then there's others who use coloured wool. If you really wanted you could use a combination of both.

I'm just really worried about the hospital band thingies and the natural tendancy pups have of putting their mouths around things and the potential for getting stuck. Worried for both the pup who does this and the pup who is wearing the band.

Edited by Erny

Is this a good idea? Those hospital ID bands are very strong and don't break easily and I can well imagine puppies getting caught in each others bands and coming to grief. Is this just me that imagines this potential?

I know of some breeders who use different coloured nail polish to paint a splotch on the pup's coat. Yes, they need to refresh it periodically so it doesn't come off with any shedding. And then there's others who use coloured wool. If you really wanted you could use a combination of both.

I'm just really worried about the hospital band thingies and the natural tendancy pups have of putting their mouths around things and the potential for getting stuck. Worried for both the pup who does this and the pup who is wearing the band.

The ID bands for puppies are actually a very strong paperlike material...not the almost indestructible plastic that the hospital ID bands use. They are actually a lot safer than using ribbon, wool or anything else because they DO in fact break if necessary, but stay put under "normal" circumstances.

The ID bands for puppies are actually a very strong paperlike material...not the almost indestructible plastic that the hospital ID bands use. They are actually a lot safer than using ribbon, wool or anything else because they DO in fact break if necessary, but stay put under "normal" circumstances.

Thanks for the explanation :angeldevil:.

I neede to distinguish between 3 of my black pug puppies, who were almost

identical. I ended up writing 2, 3, 4 on their bellies with a non toxic permanent texta.

Had no problems. I also made little elastic collars for times such as worming, nails ect

that I just slipped over their heads to show they had been done. i took them off after I had finished.

We use coloured nail polish for identification while they are little, since it is mainly for weighing and worming. Usually by the time they are up and about, they have names and are easily told apart (well by me anyway, my OH struggles sometimes).

If I dont have enough different nail polish colours, I paint some on the end of their tails and some on the top of a foot, and record which is which in my breeding book. Later on their names take the place of the colour codes.

We find this works well and there is no danger to the pups, no matter how minor.

Oh, just need to add, dont buy the cheap nail polish with glitter in it, so you need to be very clear on your instructions if you send your OH to get more colours! :thumbsup:

Edited by Miss Danni

<Oh, just need to add, dont buy the cheap nail polish with glitter in it, so you need to be very clear on your instructions if you send your OH to get more colours!>

:laugh: :D I used nail polish for one litter but have since decided liquid paper stayed on better. I'll mark them in different spots and write down who is who. Mind you I don't have big litters to worry about and it's not often that I can't tell them apart in some way fairly quickly.