Boxer

Troy

• 9 months later...

Well I've always wondered how much my boxers have really bonded with my son. they were 6 and 5 when he was born, they were fantastic when he came home and didn't attempt to get too close. They are now 9 and 8yrs, last night I pretended to have a fight with my son we were pretending to punch each other up he is 3yrs and certainly holds his own. My big boy gave a bark and grabbed my hand and pulled it away just as I was going in for a pretend punch. My boy didn't actually bite me just mouthed me and pulled my hand away then stood in between my son and me. I then told him he was a good boy and gave him cuddles to let him know he was right to protect Reilly. I then thought what would happen if my daughters and I got into a fight, they have been there from day dot, they are 21yrs and 18yrs. Didn't quite go the same way, both dogs decided to join in and help me bash the 2 girls up, again cuddles and laughs for doing so well. Telling my brother today what happened, he decided he would see what his boxer would do if he pretended to hit my elderly mother. She did exactly the same, gave a bark and a bit of a whiney sound and then grabbed his hand and pulled it away from her (again didn't bite just mouthed him) then climbed up on my mothers lap to block his access. If ever anyone ever has doubts about a Boxers loyalty I'll be telling them they are mad.

You find someone who shows, and does well, and you order a show quality pup - they are called "show potential" You also look interstate. Then you get on a boxer site on facebook, and look at the photos of the winning/dogs pups. that should get your "eye in". You hope that your breeder will mentor you

So easy these days; once you had to check on books, and go to the show to see them.

Someone I know had some lovely show quality pups for sale .... and no show homes, so they all went as pets. Shame.

PS - You have read the standard and don't understand it? You need an extention of the standard, which explains in more detail. I shall see what I can find. And post it here for you. It may take a bit of time

Edited by Jed

You find someone who shows, and does well, and you order a show quality pup - they are called "show potential" You also look interstate. Then you get on a boxer site on facebook, and look at the photos of the winning/dogs pups. that should get your "eye in". You hope that your breeder will mentor you

So easy these days; once you had to check on books, and go to the show to see them.

Someone I know had some lovely show quality pups for sale .... and no show homes, so they all went as pets. Shame.

PS - You have read the standard and don't understand it? You need an extention of the standard, which explains in more detail. I shall see what I can find. And post it here for you. It may take a bit of time

Thats what Im trying to do Jed. But reading the standard it says black mask but I see alot have white masks. Its these contradictions that I'm finding confusing

Hi Boxbright, I think technically they still have black masks but many have 'flashy' (white) markings on their face. Flashy boxers are probably predominant in the showring over plain (full black mask,- like my dog in the photo on my post).

White boxers (who can't be shown) may have little or no black mask evident. They often still have some black pigment or spots on their muzzle or face though.

There is a lot more to choosing a show potential pup though, and I'll leave the finer points of that to an expert like Jed. And Jed, please correct me if I'm wrong on the mask info. :)

Hi Boxbright, I think technically they still have black masks but many have 'flashy' (white) markings on their face. Flashy boxers are probably predominant in the showring over plain (full black mask,- like my dog in the photo on my post).

White boxers (who can't be shown) may have little or no black mask evident. They often still have some black pigment or spots on their muzzle or face though.

There is a lot more to choosing a show potential pup though, and I'll leave the finer points of that to an expert like Jed. And Jed, please correct me if I'm wrong on the mask info. :)

Thanks Trinabean. I guess the hunt continues. One pup has been ruled out due to being almost all dark brindle with nearly no white at all. I was advised this colouring is not the best for showing.

The mask must be black....except where it is covered by white.

The adult brindle on the left has a black mask. She has a white chin, paws and chest.

The pup is also a brindle - but he has a white mask. If you look carefully, you will see that the black mask persists on each side of the white .... it is a bit hard to see on a brindle.

The third photo is a red dog, with a white mask - not as big as the brindle one. You can see the black mask very clearly, and that it is covered by white.

I hope this helps, and of course Trinabean is correct ... I just think that photos help.

Very difficult to buy a show quality pup. And you need one with markings similar to the brindle pup - or a little less white, but some white on the face.

Here is a link to a boxer website which explains the standard, and also has some photos from boxers around the world.

http://worldwideboxer.com/PAGE2.html

post-438-0-30828300-1373805218_thumb.jpg

post-438-0-19164100-1373806103_thumb.jpg

post-438-0-14745400-1373806266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jed

The adult brindle on the left has a black mask. She has a white chin, paws and chest.

The pup is also a brindle - but he has a white mask. If you look carefully, you will see that the black mask persists on each side of the white .... it is a bit hard to see on a brindle.

The third photo is a red dog, with a white mask - not as big as the brindle one. You can see the black mask very clearly, and that it is covered by white.

I hope this helps, and of course Trinabean is correct ... I just think that photos help.

Very difficult to buy a show quality pup. And you need one with markings similar to the brindle pup - or a little less white, but some white on the face.

Here is a link to a boxer website which explains the standard, and also has some photos from boxers around the world.

Thanks Jed, this is the puppy my daughter bought on the weekend. She unfortunately is missing the white collar. Still gorgeous though but looks like she won't make it into the show ring, so agility and obedience it will be for her.

post-49786-0-61698400-1373876390_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jed, this is the puppy my daughter bought on the weekend. She unfortunately is missing the white collar. Still gorgeous though but looks like she won't make it into the show ring, so agility and obedience it will be for her.

Well another person who used to breed and is very much into showing has seen our girl and said she doesn't see why we wouldn't consider showing her. She said she might not have the white collar but everything else about her is quite good, especially the shape of her face and body. My possible show boy is not quite a week old so early days at the moment to see how he turns out. :D

Hi, Boxbright, the white mask is fine, although a little off centre. If her head/conformation is good enough, she will be ok in the ring. Did you buy from the people Stewart recommended?

Looks like a nice puppy anyhow. The only reason people like" flashy" boxers in the ring is that the combination of colours catches the judges' eye. Having a white collar, or some white on the back of the neck is ok, but it is not that important. However, there are plenty of dogs without any white successfully showing.

Edited by Jed

• 1 year later...

How do boxers go in very hot climates? I am talking about rural WA (so a very dry heat mainly), with February mainly being over 35 for the whole month with the occasional week of 40 and over.

And are they heavy shedders? I have a SBT who sheds (obviously) but unless I am cuddling her, it is not overly noticeable.

I lived, for a lot of years, in Western Qld, in a place that often topped the summer temperatures for the state. No air conditioning. The boxers were fine - and we went for long horse-rides, with the dogs running about - not on the 48 degree days, but it was hot. No problems

If you get a dog whose head is more or less according to the standard - ie, nose 1/3 of the head; wide bottom jaw - and large nostrils; decent flews but not too large or pendulous; and nice tight bottom eyelids, the dog shouldn't have any problems. Large nostrils to take in the air, nose not too short, plenty of space under the hard palate for air.

I know I always cite the standard, but it describes a very good dog, and if a dog has most of the attributes, it should cope well. Buy from a decent registered breeder, not someone who is in it for the $$, or who started breeding 2 years ago.

Good luck. Great breed.

Thank you Jed, very helpful. I am not ready for a dog/pup until later this year so it will give me plenty of time to research the breed and breeders. Still deciding if the breed is right for me.

Always exciting.

Close friend who breeds has a fully tiled house.

In the heat of Victorian summers, her boxers rest on them in full comfort. Some days, she does not even need the AC on to keep them cool.

Wise points to do your research including full health checks.

:)

Lovely dogs, Korbin, but not for everybody. Unfortunately, the dog you meet when you go to someone's house is often not who the dog really is. I had someone stay here for a week to care for the dogs and although he already knew them, he was suprised at how different they all were - more mellow, he thought.

But do go and meet some.

Sensible training from puppyhood is important, and so is being able to spend a lot of time with the dog - not particularly doing anything, but this is a companion/guard dog, which wants to be with you, and can become difficult if kept outside or not given sufficient people time.

IMG_1786.jpg

I mean, you couldn't get any cuter if you tried :love: Any dog I have becomes part of our lives and we include them in our daily lives as much as we can.

Yes, I have the problem that I can't get to see a wide range of dogs due to my location but we do travel and have met some lovely boxers. Most people tell me they are pretty full on for the first two years but I think a lot of dogs are.

Jed, I have read your great post on here about your philosophy on bringing up a boxer pup and I think it is great!

Jed, as usual, your post sums Boxers up beautifully. smile.gif I totally agree that the dog you meet when you go to someone's house is often not who the dog really is. Mine is excited when friends arrive, but is such an easy to live with dog. Calm and quiet in the house. He will only bark if there is something noteworthy to bark at. He is not fearful of anything (except the bath) and will calmly sit and watch fireworks with me. I know this is possibly a case of good luck though, as i do know of storm-phobic dogs.

Korbin, we are in Perth and I find that on those days of extreme heat, Bruno will simply find a cool spot to sleep. When I was researching the breed, I read on many mainly US-based sites that Boxers need a lot of exercise. I've found that mine is happy enough with a relatively short (30mins) daily walk, but he spends a lot of time with me in particular, and my kids and husband when they are home too. He is happiest just following me about, watching me work, and poking his nose into whatever the kids are doing.laugh.gif

I'm trying not gush, but I truly love this breed. Ours is a perfect match for our family.

Not sure where you are in WA, but PM me if ever you are heading to Perth and want to meet some lovely dogs. Also, if you are on Facebook, a fellow Doler (and Boxer breeder) has started a group called Boxers of Western Australia that you are welcome to join. There are regular meetups organised through the page too.