Big Problem With My Newfy

I'm having trouble with Digi my Newfy.

He is great with me and we have training sessions once to twice a day at home

as I live on 5 acres.

Now my problem, he has tried to bite my 6 yr old son when he comes near me.

I'm thankful that he's on the lead when this has happened or else my son would be

knocked over and hurt.

My son wont go outside if Digi is off his lead (I don't blame him). I'm getting scared of the situation

and I'm at a lost at what to do next.

Do I consider rehoming Digi in a family with no children or do I persevere.

Sharon

Edited by Raven

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly you need to contact the breeder in WA ,they may wish to take the dog back .

Reading back on prior posts i see your son has disabilities,do you think there could be a connection between his issues & what he is doing??

I would be seeing if the Breeder could take your dog back.

My personal view, as a parent, is that any aggression towards a human would not be tolerated. Even if you were able to retrain your dog not to do that, could you ever trust it? It only takes one accidental time the dog is alone with your child...

My situation is not the same as yours (my dog's issue is dog aggression) but when I saw that my children were suffering and afraid in their own home- where they should grow up feeling safe- I felt it was time to make some hard decisions.

Its sad but your child should come first.

Sharon,

How old is Digi?

Before rehoming him talk to a qualified behaviourist and the breeder first......Digi may be showing aggression because he sees you as "his" or he doesn't recognise your son as part of the pack...which is very real problem....whatever the problem, you need to get on top of the aggression as quickly as possible...in the meantime do not let your son near Digi...everytime Digi has a "go" at your son he is "winning" which will only cause the behaviour to continue without intervention

MM

edited for spelling!

I'm having trouble with Digi my Newfy.

He is great with me and we have training sessions once to twice a day at home

as I live on 5 acres.

Now my problem, he has tried to bite my 6 yr old son when he comes near me.

I'm thankful that he's on the lead when this has happened or else my son would be

knocked over and hurt.

My son wont go outside if Digi is off his lead (I don't blame him). I'm getting scared of the situation

and I'm at a lost at what to do next.

Do I consider rehoming Digi in a family with no children or do I persevere.

Sharon

Edited by missmoo

Thankyou for all your replies.

I have done a lot of thinking over the last 24 hrs and I have decided that

the best thing to do for everyone involved is to re-home Digi.

It wont be a quick process as I will make sure that he goes to someone that

will love him as much as I do and of course with no small children.

I have been in tears all day but I have to think about my son foremost.

Thank you again

Sharon :D

Curious: Is Digi biting aggressively? Or just using his mouth in a playful fashion that is very frightening to your son?

I have a Newfie in kennels at the moment who occasionally grabs me by the arm. He's being friendly, but it's a little frightening to me. Otherwise, he's a lovely dog . . . extremely calm and great with other dogs. I like having him in kennels because he automatically becomes Alpha dog due to his size . . . but because he is so calm, he imparts calmness on the whole mob.

If it's just scary but friendly mouthing, I'd guess you have a good chance of training the behaviour out. Or curtailing it with a muzzle.

That's fine, but have you given the breeder the option to take the dog back?

I have been in tears all day but I have to think about my son foremost.

Thank you again

Sharon :D

Im so sorry Sharon, I know how you feel. :p

Its a horrible and hard thing to do.

Big hugs to you :o

Dee x

Even someone who doesn't have small children may have children visiting, either yourself or the new owner will need to get to the heart of the problem for everyone's safety.

I have a Newfie in kennels at the moment who occasionally grabs me by the arm.

Digi grabs my arm and hand at times and I know he's playing. He is a beautiful dog and calm with me

but when it comes to my son he isn't.

Redarachnid To get Digi back to her would be a great expense to us both and more distressing for Digi

Even someone who doesn't have small children may have children visiting, either yourself or the new owner will need to get to the heart of the problem for everyone's safety.

I have spoken to the trainer we have seen and she is prepared to help with the person who Digi is placed with.

Dee,

Thank you for your kind words. This is the hardest thing I have had to do. xx

I know that some would not agree with what I'm doing but after speaking with my trainer I know that it's the right

thing to do for Digi and my son.

I have a lovely woman and her husband coming out on Sunday to meet Digi, they have owned a Newfie before

and I have explained the reason for the rehoming. Nothing is concrete yet we'll just have to wait and see.

Sharon

I have a Newfie in kennels at the moment who occasionally grabs me by the arm.

Digi grabs my arm and hand at times and I know he's playing. He is a beautiful dog and calm with me

but when it comes to my son he isn't.

Redarachnid To get Digi back to her would be a great expense to us both and more distressing for Digi

I have spoken to the trainer we have seen and she is prepared to help with the person who Digi is placed with.

Dee,

Thank you for your kind words. This is the hardest thing I have had to do. xx

I know that some would not agree with what I'm doing but after speaking with my trainer I know that it's the right

thing to do for Digi and my son.

I have a lovely woman and her husband coming out on Sunday to meet Digi, they have owned a Newfie before

and I have explained the reason for the rehoming. Nothing is concrete yet we'll just have to wait and see.

Sharon

Oh Sharon I am so sorry....... I too have a newfie. She was people and dog aggressive, but her reason was due to the way she was treated in her first home.

All my previous newfs have always been so soft with children and especially disabled children, because we did therapy work with them.

The only other thing I can suggest is to contact newf rescue, they are diligent with placing rescues/re-homes. it is where my last two dogs have come from. Id you go to this site http://www.newfoundland-dogs.com.au/ You will find the rescue people. Or contact anyone in the contacts. it is a shame you are so far away from me, because I would love to help you. i live in Southern NSW. And that is too far away from you.

It was a difficult decision for you, I just wish I could be more help...............

Have you informed the breeder though??

I now they would want to now what is happening.

This is my question too, which hasn't really been answered.

I have absolutely no issue with the dog being unsuitable for you and being rehomed, I totally understand and do not judge you, BUT the breeder needs to be given the first option of taking the dog back.

I have absolutely no issue with the dog being unsuitable for you and being rehomed, I totally understand and do not judge you, BUT the breeder needs to be given the first option of taking the dog back.

That isn't correct. The Breeder should be advised of the behaviour but the owner does not HAVE to give the breeder first option to take the dog back, the Owner may wish to sell the dog.

Personaly I don't think this dog should be rehomed because of the reason it is being rehomed for and that perhaps it would be better off going back to the breeder to assess the dog and take it from there....that is if the current owner is not trying to recover $ by selling the dog.

That isn't correct. The Breeder should be advised of the behaviour but the owner does not HAVE to give the breeder first option to take the dog back, the Owner may wish to sell the dog.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying?

My point was just that the breeder should be notified of the problem and asked if they would like the dog returned to them. I think most breeders would like that coourtesy call. The OP says the breeder has been notified, so then there will be no surprises for the breeder if the dog turns up elsewhere.

You said: BUT the breeder needs to be given the first option of taking the dog back.

But that is in the perfect world senerio.

They don't have to give the Breeder first option.

That is all I am saying.