Training Two Puppies

Hi everone,

just after advice and tips on training two dogs at once for general obedience and basic commands.

I have recently become the human family for a couple of energetic Boxer puppies and would appreciate any assistance from others that may have experienced the joys? of having two delights to train and the methods used.

So far they have had no problem at all with the sit command, but they are finding it more difficult to coem to their names etc , so any help would be great!

Matt

Norton and Kody

Matt, training a puppy involves a dedication at the best of times. Taking on two makes this very difficult! I wont sell two puppies to a buyer for this very reason...

Do you have a partner who may be able to help with training the puppies? If so, I really suggest taking one each to a good training centre - starting with puppy pre-school. I really do think you are going to need lots of help with this, and while you will get some great tips on this forum, I think you'll need hands-on assistance here.

Best of luck though, with your Boxer Babies! :laugh:

Hi- I would suggest the FIRST thing to accomplish is to get them used to having independent time..

feed them each a bone/kong.. but in different areas/rooms/crates..out of sight of each other .

do this often.. so they get the idea that being alone can be a good thing...then, you can have one out walking/training while the other enjoys his treat calmly and alone...

This will take more than a week or two to accomplish, tho :laugh:

Totally ignore any tantrums or noise, or refusal to eat treats.. just do it all again next time...and clean up any leftovers thoroughly!!

I think you might have to definitely train them seperately but i'm sure your housemate will be able to help you with this. :laugh:

They're only little at the moment so it might take a little while longer for them to learn their names. Might be why they are not coming to their names yet. :laugh: You might also want to limit your training sessions at the moment while they are still young otherwise they may get bored and not be able to focus.

With Bomber i found clicker training & positive reinforcement to be the best thing for him but all dogs are different. :laugh:

Crate games? We train together and one waits in the crate (good dog! and lots of rewards for this part of training) and the other works. We do really short bursts of only about five minutes and then we have a sit stay while one gets out of the crate and the other goes in.

We make it part of training and so far so good. :(

Thanks for the help and advice, I should have mentioned my flatmate (Matt 2) is also a part of the human family of these two and he has been training them (in short bursts of a few minutes) as well, and we have just started lead training so will see how this advice goes

Matt

Have you considered taking the pups to puppy pre school? Independence training is very important at this early stage and crate training may be one tool that can assist you with this. Doing short separate training sessions and simply pairing the pups name with a food reward will help them to learn their names as well.

Thanks for that -

they are both scheduled for Puppy Pre School (starting next week) and there will be two of us taking them along so to keep one each under supervision. Have done some work on seperation and do some training indivually now will increase that with teh upcomign weeks and see how it goes. the nature of these two seems very calm and relaxed, nothign new or different phases them, and they rarely seem to get upset at anything, even when seperated, they remain calm and unphased. The last Boxer we had was bordering on manic and I have been wondering why such a huge difference in personalities. They still do all the crazy energetic psychopath things Boxers do, but in a chilled otu kind of way (hard to describe)

Matt