How Much Chocolate Is Toxic?

Kingbob

I just went out to get a dvd, and while out my dog helped himself to 6 subway cookies that were in a bag on the coffee table. they were 2 choc chip, 2 m&m, and 2 white choc. Now i know theres not much actual chocolate in the cookies, maybe 2 or 3 cadbury sized squares total.

How much is bad? I know some people say a little piece now and then is ok, but there must be an amount thats bad.

He's a 3yo beagle/lab cross, weighs 35kg, and had just had a good meaty dinner.

I am sure that wouldn't be enough to do any harm as it is all milk chocolate and your dog isn't a tiny breed (apparently the dark choc with high cocoa % is the worst kind)

Oh I just have to add that the moment I read your title I knew it would be a beagle :) gotta love those scoffers :)

Hope all is well - like puggy mentioned - just keep an eye on him tonight :thumbsup:

Yeah, he has a Beagles nose for sure. I think his other half is Labrador (not sure exactly since he's a rescue dog), and of course Labs are known for their tendency to eat just about anything!

He's ok so far but i know it can take a couple of hours to start to be absorbed. Best guess is he ate maybe around 40-40gm of chocolate max. From what i've read, as a 35kg dog he should be ok. Just gotta keep an eye on him.

Look at these plotting eyes... just waiting to see me leave food in reach!

post-27154-1252590894_thumb.jpg

In answer to your question.....the reply is "how long is a piece of string".

There are websites which give an amount in figures of various kinds of chocolate, the toxic levels and the approximate weight of dogs.

But the reality is that what might give a chihuahua a stomach ache could still kill a Great Dane if the Dane has an intolerance to it. There really is no hard and fast rule or amount which is why the blanket rule of "no chocolate" is a far safer one.

It is over 12 hours now since you posted but I daresay you would have noticed signs of a problem by now if there were going to be any. In future things to watch for are increased respiration and anxiety, thirst, salivation etc or the opposite, extreme drowsiness and lethargy.

my 7kg foxy ate 2 large boxes of chocolates one christmas.

Lindt assorted balls and guylain sea shells.

She was very disappointed that the ferrer roche were in a plastic container that were harder to open :laugh:

after vomiting an hour later approx 10 times she was ok.....

My 15 kg Cocker Spaniel once ate a family size Cadbury milk chocolate block - while she didn't seem to have any adverse reaction to the chocolate (not even a pimple), she did appear to be defecating in purple and silver packets for a day or two.

Edited by benny123

My 15 kg Cocker Spaniel once ate a family size Cadbury milk chocolate block - while she didn't seem to have any adverse reaction to the chocolate (not even a pimple), she did appear to be defecating in purple and silver packets for a day or two.

:D :D

I had to pull purple foil out once when it got stuck half way out... almost a cigar shape it was :laugh:

Very generally, milk chocolate is toxic at roughly 30g/kg.

Dark chocolate and cooking chocolate are more toxic, compound chocolate has very little real chocolate and white chocolate is not chocolate at all :o

One thing to keep in mind if you are concerned is that chocolate can delay gastric emptying - normally we have a window of under 2 hours to induce vomiting, but this may extend up to 4-6 hours for chocolate ingestion which gives more time to decontaminate if needed.