Lucky Me!

leopuppy04

Through luck or another -I have found a means to get some canon lenses at a cheaper price than through the stores.

Still starting out, I do see my kit as pretty well made. I have

*17 - 85 IS USM lens (can't remember the f stop -3.5 or 4.0).

*55 - 250 IS lens (f4.0) - basic kit lens

*50 f1.8

I'm also interested in giving some macro photography a go, but not sure what would be a good lens...

Or should I look at improving my telephoto lens since I shoot agility a fair bit?!

I'm still, in every sense of the word a 'beginner', but this is a very good offer I can't turn down :laugh:

What would you recommend in terms of what you would think would be a good addition to my kit?

Should I replace the telephoto, or should I get a macro lens (given I've never done macro before, or know how to use the lenses)?

Thanks in advance :cry:

Through luck or another -I have found a means to get some canon lenses at a cheaper price than through the stores.

Still starting out, I do see my kit as pretty well made. I have

*17 - 85 IS USM lens (can't remember the f stop -3.5 or 4.0).

*55 - 250 IS lens (f4.0) - basic kit lens

*50 f1.8

I'm also interested in giving some macro photography a go, but not sure what would be a good lens...

Or should I look at improving my telephoto lens since I shoot agility a fair bit?!

I'm still, in every sense of the word a 'beginner', but this is a very good offer I can't turn down :laugh:

What would you recommend in terms of what you would think would be a good addition to my kit?

Should I replace the telephoto, or should I get a macro lens (given I've never done macro before, or know how to use the lenses)?

Thanks in advance :laugh:

I think you should tell me how I can get some cheaper lenses too! :)

I love my Macro 100mm and prices might be dropping for it soon as a newer model has just been released. It doesn't mean the old model is no good though. It's a versatile lens, doesn't have to be used for just close up stuff.

the 17-55 is supposed to be a great lens, you've got that distance covered but it might be worthwhile getting and selling one of your current lenses.

The one I would love is the 70-200 2.8 IS. Can you get that?

Edited by Kirislin

LOL - there the ones I'm looking at too :laugh:

LOL! - My friends dad works for Canon so I found out so she told me to tell her what lens I wanted and her dad will get it for me on his 'allowance' :laugh:

Which one do you think is more versatile?

Edited by leopuppy04

LOL - there the ones I'm looking at too :laugh:

LOL! - My friends dad works for Canon so I found out so she told me to tell her what lens I wanted and her dad will get it for me on his 'allowance' :laugh:

Which one do you think is more versatile?

Here's the sample archive for the 70-200

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138395

and here's the macro 100mm

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158427

but maybe you should get advice from your friends dad. I bet if you told him what you like to photograph he could advise you. You're a lucky one alright!

The 100mm macro is an incredible lens. It will do 1:1 macro and it's great for portraits. The 60mm macro is also fabulous, half the weight and length and just a splendid piece of glass. I reach for my 60 far more often than my 100 (but won't be giving the 100 up!)

There are so many lenses that could suit your needs it's hard to give advice really unless you have some clear goals.

If it were me, I'd be using this opportunity to get the most expensive piece of glass I was looking at as that would be the best deal and it's so much easier to save for smaller ticket items :shrug:

My lust lens right now is the 135L. I don't really know why, it just is.

shouldn't have asked - soon I won't be asking for one lens, there will be a huge list :D

Kja - I think I will have to think about what I want to photograph the most - there isn't a time limit to my decision so we'll see :).

:shrug: question - but how *does* the macro lens work? I mean they take portraits but then can take these amazing shots up close. Do you have to be really close to the subject or.......????

It depends on the len. With the 60mm to get 1:1, yes, you need to be all up close and personal. With the 100mm you get more working distance so can be farther from your subject.

Otherwise they work exactly the same way as any other lens :laugh:

If you are considering the 70-200 2.8 L IS - I can't recommend it highly enough.

For agility - it's a cracker - really.

All my agility images are shot with this lens. It's incredible versatile.

The 100mm macro is a great lens too - if you like macro work. (It also makes a decent portrait lens as well - but because you've got the 50mm 1.8, you'd tend to use the 50mm for portraits).

For the 100mm you need to be close to the subject.

Send me a PM if you want me to bring the 70-200 and the 100mm to Croydon..

I'm happy for you to have a feel of them both - -see how close you need to be for the macro etc.

Edited by Luke W