Biting The Bottom Of My Pants/dressing Gown

princesszelda

Hi there,

We have a 10 week old Bernese Mountain dog, who is doing really well in most respects. The only problem we can't seem to get under control is nipping at, biting and pulling at the bottom of my pants or my dressing gown when I'm walking. She has learned not to jump up at us now, but where she is biting is right at her eye level. So far, whenever she does this, I stand still and don't look at her, but she is so strong and just keeps on tugging, eventually ripping my clothing. This primarily happens when we are walking (so obviously she sees the pant legs moving, and thinks its a toy).

Help! I can't afford to buy new pants every few days!

Hi there,

We have a 10 week old Bernese Mountain dog, who is doing really well in most respects. The only problem we can't seem to get under control is nipping at, biting and pulling at the bottom of my pants or my dressing gown when I'm walking. She has learned not to jump up at us now, but where she is biting is right at her eye level. So far, whenever she does this, I stand still and don't look at her, but she is so strong and just keeps on tugging, eventually ripping my clothing. This primarily happens when we are walking (so obviously she sees the pant legs moving, and thinks its a toy).

Help! I can't afford to buy new pants every few days!

You need to use an aversive to stop this. Ask yourself whether there are negative consequences for what she's doing now. If there aren't, why would she stop? :)

You could try yelling "BAH" or use a spray bottle to deter her. Ask yourself how an adult dog would handle a puppy playing tug of war with its flews or tail.

have a read thru HERE.. there are links & things scattered around which may be useful to you :)

also...

keep her on a leash perhaps- then when she starts to grab- give her a little tug, say Nooo in a growly voice (DO NOT YELL- except in a life threatening emergency) and then ignore her--keep walking repeat as necessary....

Erik is terrible with this! I was sitting on the ground with him today and he spun around with a growl and grabbed my pants and tugged. I pretend my clothes are the most sensitive part of my body and shriek blue murder when he grabs my pants. He generally stops dead and then I shove a toy in his mouth and we are all good. If he doesn't stop instantly I grab his scruff and he gets the message. He's getting better every day. Except for today's experimental setbacks ("chewing the toy is boring when I could randomly spin around and chomp on the human's leg and make her shriek. It makes her jiggle the toy!").

Tried spraying water last night & this morning & it seemed to work, although I don't know if it was the novelty of it or if Bella really didn't like it. Time will tell I guess!

Corvus - aren't new games fun!?!? Bella's new game this morning was to jump up on my black pants with a yoghurt-covered mouth...

Erik is terrible with this! I was sitting on the ground with him today and he spun around with a growl and grabbed my pants and tugged. I pretend my clothes are the most sensitive part of my body and shriek blue murder when he grabs my pants. He generally stops dead and then I shove a toy in his mouth and we are all good. If he doesn't stop instantly I grab his scruff and he gets the message. He's getting better every day. Except for today's experimental setbacks ("chewing the toy is boring when I could randomly spin around and chomp on the human's leg and make her shriek. It makes her jiggle the toy!").

:laugh:

Only now Leila is 7 months old do I feel safe to go and replace all the pairs of gym pants and trackies and long sleeved shirts that she has put holes in!

Its only when the holes are in the upper thigh or bum area do I stop wearing them (and I've had a few of those!)

Yelping also helped us but OH wasnt that keen as squeeling like a girl at first in case someone heard him but decided it was better than being jumped up at or bitten!