Cruciate Ligaments

Sankari

My Golden Retriever was displaying very painfull back legs following playing rough with another dog and landed the wrong way. We took her to the vet to find cruciates in both legs are severely STRAINED.

The vet has put her on Rimadyl which she finishes on Saturday coming, and she doesnt appear in pain but she was to be rested for 4 weeks. She doesnt appear to be in pain, but her vet said it will be quite easy for them to tear if she isnt kept rested. She's barely moved off her bed in the 7 days she's been resting so far only for toileting or getting a meal.

He wants to see her next monday, how would i know if shes actually ruptured one or both now?

I've been researching this topic but cant really seem to find info on strained ligaments only finding info on the ruptured/torn ligaments.

We thought Atlas had ruptured his right cruciate but he had only strained/bruised it. We had to be very careful for awhile as it was likely to rupture if we let him run around a lot. He got his from running up and down the fence, the twist/turn at the end was really hard on his puppy legs. ;) I can't give you any more info, he was on anti-inflammatory injections once a week for six weeks and that cleared it up really well. He'll never be able to do agility or anything though - not that he would, he's so lazy.

Thank you for your reply. Charlotte's left knee is worse than it was yet her right appears to be getting a little better. She finishes the anti inflammatories tomorrow.

What i would like to know is the vet wants to see her again, but how long does rimadyl stay in her system for and would monday or tuesday be enough time to be able for it to be out of her system so he can see what she is like?

She yelped twice yesterday when i tried moving her and must have touched her leg too hard as it is extremely painful for her if i touch it now. Do you think she's done further damage to it?

Call your vet to ask about Rimadyl, they should be able to tell you over the phone. My totally uneducated guess would be a couple of days.

Why do you think she's done further damage to it (as in if she is not moving how could have she done further damage)? BTW Do you keep her crated?

updating, Charlotte went to Vet today and has done more damage most likely ACL Rupture. She's getting the drawer test done and as a precaution in case as she did have hip pain as well, getting hip xrays as well as knee xrays.

Our poor Goldies :) Mine has been through what Charlotte is about to go through.

My boy has had both his knees done (a little over 7 months apart) and then 12 months later (just 3 months ago) he had the right knee repaired again along with an arthroscopy and removal of some floaty bits. I thought he was going to limp for the rest of his days but he has been on Metacam daily ever since - and he appears as fit as a fiddle these days. The right care and attention (as advised by your vet) can make for a very happy and healthy dog again :laugh:

Good luck with Charlotte, hope everythiing goes well, ;)

Thankyou!

I am thinking the TPLO direction for surgery but undecided as we havent spoken about surgery options with our vet yet. Still doing my research. Which road did you go down? interested in opinions on the different surgeries.

Dougal had the artificial ligament attached each time. I did a lot of reading and research before hand and I wasn't convinced it was the right way as he is a big dog, and thought he'd need something "bigger and better".......however my vet convinced me it was a good procedure and would be suitable for him. And he was right!

Charlotte is back from the vet. Not at all what I expected there are a few things wrong :)

Right hip has degeneration occurring and the ball is significantly smaller and flat against the socket therefore it is rubbing on the socket.

Left and right leg has torn the Prosterior Cruciate Ligament which is the one they dont normally do.

For now the vet wants to maintain the pain from the hip as she is more concerned about that at the present time. So 4 weeks of Cartrophen injection once a week then each week at the consult they'll see how knees are going and if they are getting worse and nothing is getting better we will look at surgery to fix. Vet suggested to put her on Sashas blend but i'm looking into Joint guard as i have heard good things about it.

We spoke about surgery once her hip isnt causing so much pain rather than rushing in now to do it. I agree with that, but i will also speak with original vet who seen her 2 weeks ago and get his opinion as he is the practice owner and if surgery is going to be done he is the one who would be doing it.

Charlotte is doing well. Apparently she made herself at home at the vet and found lots of friends in the nurses. Such a people dog!

I know this is a little of the beaten track but I've heard that the reason these become strained or need ops is because of issues with movement due to pinched nerves in the back and tension being put where it shouldnt be until it snaps....my very untechnogolical explanation and luckily I have managed to avoid this one in the 9 year life I have responsible for. To ease the situation it may help to see a chiro to make sure everything is in alignment and this is not the case...I've heard if it is then after being put right there is often no need for the op if you get it early enough and the symptoms subside instantly. The cracker I know people rave about is George Schofield in Melbourne, somewhere near the airport. Good luck hey

Oh poor Charlotte and to think only a couple of months ago she seemed fine and dandy playing with the Kepala gang. Hope you get some good news soon.

In addition to a Chiro option, I can recommend a woman that does Bowen and Reiki, she isn't going to be able to fix Charlotte obviously, but she may be able to ease some of the other areas of soreness that may arise as a result of compensating for her primary health issues. I've always been a Reiki skeptic, but I have seen her work on horses and dogs and they give similar physical and emotional reations to the Reiki as well as the Bowen, so maybe there's something going on that I can't see.

She saw Bronte a couple of weeks ago and Bronte thought it was all a bit special and she was able to release some tensions that had built up while she was splinted and bandaged. I'm going to get her out a week or so after she goes back to dog club to give her a final go over. We now have to wait for the desexing stitches to come out first though - its always one thing or another isn't it.

Hugs to Charlotte and look after yourself too, this is a hard time for both of you.

Thanks!

Shel yes, to think she was only running around at Kepala with the gang in August now out of nowhere a hip problem arises and the cruciates tear :laugh:

Tuesday she is going back to the vet and we are talking surgery. It's not getting any better and i feel by putting her through surgery it will give her the best possible outcome.

I would like to know since the hip problem is in the right and that leg is quite bad would you suggest to do the right cruciate first (as of course they will need to be done at different times).

Shel I'll PM you for info about the person Bronte seen.

Poor Charlotte is absolutely miserable and i havent been sleeping too well with my worries for her as well.

How's Charlotte today? Poor petal - hope she is feeling better soon (and that her ops down the track see her right as rain!)!

Tasha says she can't wait for Charlotte to get better and come back to Kepala - lots of lappie smooches then!

Edited by lappiemum