A Few Questions, Please Look!

Juno's Mum

We got our gorgeous girl today, and are totally in love :rofl:

I am a bit worried though.

Firstly, she seems too good, if that makes sense :cry:

She has slept SO much!

Is that normal?

She is around 10 weeks and she did have a big run around the backyard with the kids, but since then has just slept! (I keep checking she is breathing :eek:).

Second, how much do I feed her?

She is SUCH a guzzleguts! She eats and eats as soon as I put the bowl down, and once it it empty she continues to lick the bowl till I move it away LOL

Thirdly, crates. Should I get a big crate and block half? Or get a smaller crate and upgrade as she gets older?

I am sure I will be back with lots more questions :laugh:

And just cause she is totally gorgeous

3925501692_ee36c04d74.jpg

3924901301_32a3694be6.jpg

-Tina

Hi juno's mum

What a sweetie !!!

Yes,very normal to sleep alot, puppies need it and will sleep after even short play.

How much to feed - if you got her from a breeder, this info should come from breeder and they are best person to ask.

If she's a guzzleguts that may have something to do with your previous question (ie how much to feed) - she may be a food driven dog, in which case, not unusual to be licking the bowl ! What are you feeding her ?

We used a crate, and I think blocking off is a good idea, crates are great for toilet training and giving her a 'safe' place.

Awww ... she's so cute!

Haven't really got advice as I'm a newb to puppies too, but thought i'd just share my experienc as I've had my puppy for a whole week now ;)

Our first day puppy ate SO much, and not being aware how much of a portion to feed puppy, he was so gorged I felt terrible ... however now he doesn't seem to be eating enough ... pretty much missing out his meal of dry food as he doesn't seem to like it much. Haven't wanted to create a picky eater, so have just left it out for him and he'll nibble occasionally, then wait for his dinner of chicken mince! Tried mixing it up but he would just eat around the dry.

We got a crate for a mature version of our pup, and he hasn't soiled it yet, although the carpets have had a bit of a workout, even with my eagle eye supervision ... but he's so short I couldn't tell initially as he just stood there, neither squatting or lifting a leg. But have worked out his toilet signs now :)

Good luck, i'm sure you'll have as much fun as we are! :)

Ooh, had to add ... today we discovered water aversion and its AWESOME!! Every time he trys to bite my computer cords or my son or me, I squirt him with water from a spray bottle, he hasn't worked out where it comes from, so it totally distracts him and I can reassure him he's alright ... lol.

Edited by MsBex

How much does she weigh? Did the rescue people not give you any info about how much she was eating? What sort of food are you feeding?

If you're feeding raw food then a puppy should get approximately 10% of it's body weight every day. If you're feeding dry food then the feeding instructions should be on the side of the bag, but most are between 10% & 30% overstated.

As a guide her tummy should be firm but not taut or drum like after a feed. Don't be conned into giving her too much, it can do a lot of harm and cause problems if a young pup regularly gorges - once or twice don't worry!

Three or four small feeds a day works best for most pups

Tired - well she's had a big day with lots of excitement. Just wait until tomorrow!

If you're feeding dry food then the feeding instructions should be on the side of the bag, but most are between 10% & 30% overstated.

Completely agree with this! If I fed my dogs what it says on the bag (I feed Hills Sciece Diet) they would be monsters!!!

We got our gorgeous girl today, and are totally in love :)

I am a bit worried though.

Firstly, she seems too good, if that makes sense ;)

She has slept SO much!

Is that normal?

She is around 10 weeks and she did have a big run around the backyard with the kids, but since then has just slept! (I keep checking she is breathing :)).

Puppies need lots of sleep. Sometimes they'll just flop where ever they might be and be sound asleep in seconds

Second, how much do I feed her?

She is SUCH a guzzleguts! She eats and eats as soon as I put the bowl down, and once it it empty she continues to lick the bowl till I move it away LOLDid her breeder give any advice here? When I sold my puppies I recommend 3 feeds a day until they were 6 months old and then drop back to 2 meals per day until 12 months

Thirdly, crates. Should I get a big crate and block half? Or get a smaller crate and upgrade as she gets older?I would buy the crate that will do her fully grown but cover it with a blanket, it makes it warm, cosy and private for her, like a cave.

I am sure I will be back with lots more questions :)

And just cause she is totally gorgeous

3925501692_ee36c04d74.jpg

3924901301_32a3694be6.jpg

-Tina

Looks like you've got a good camera, they're gorgeous photos.