Coughing

peigirl

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can offer advice. Rafael (4 and a bit years) has started with dry deep, hacking cough since yesterday evening and it seems to be getting worse (especially after a play/run). Cough was the only sympton until earlier this evening when he vomitted up some water.

Is this kennel cough or something different? I've not had any experience with it before. He's never been boarded and Sofia appears to be fine.

My girl was doing something similar when I got home from work one night, a dry cough and had thrown up a thick mucus a couple of times, not really water but thicker. I took her straight to the vet.

She had an anti-inflammatory shot and she was fine after that. The Vets said it could be a scratch or some sort of inflammation on the oesophagus and the ant-inflammatory would help, but if it persisted to bring her back as the throwing up is a sigh of Kennel Cough.

If your dog has KC then the antibiotics are not going to help unless there is a secondary infection.

I would rest him, no running around, and see if he rides it out as it's like a cold/flu that humans get. Yes if he is throwing up all of the time and absolutley miserable then a trip to the vets is needed.

KC can be caught from anywhere other dogs are. Some dogs are more susceptable to it then others just like humans with colds.

Agree with Puggy Puggy.

Get some Active Manuka Honey from your health food store. Needs to have a UMF 20+ or higher. (Don't bother with supermarket stock as they are generally UMF 5+ .... won't help much if any). 250g jar will cost you around $50, but it is great stuff and will help sooth the throat as well as boost the immune system.

Keep your dog quiet, warm and out of drafts - just as you would if you had children down with a cold.

I guess that's a point, PugRescue.

No harm in going to the Vet to have it checked, but if Canine Cough is diagnosed and antibiotics are prescribed I'd be asking "why .... is there an infection present?" Many Vets seem too quick to prescribe antibiotics IMO. Perhaps it is because too many people wouldn't keep a close eye on their dogs and detect changes for the worse, so they prescribe "just in case"??

Edited by Erny

Agree with Puggy Puggy.

Get some Active Manuka Honey from your health food store. Needs to have a UMF 20+ or higher. (Don't bother with supermarket stock as they are generally UMF 5+ .... won't help much if any). 250g jar will cost you around $50, but it is great stuff and will help sooth the throat as well as boost the immune system.

Keep your dog quiet, warm and out of drafts - just as you would if you had children down with a cold.

Manuka Honey isn't available in WA Erny ;) Much to my chagrin.

However there are healing properties in even ordinary honey, and it is still very soothing to a sore throat so I would still recommend trying some honey.

I have met Raf before, he's a gorgeous fellow, and Sofia looks doubly gorgeous in your siggie peigirl! :(

:dancingelephant:

Dogs with KC cough all the time regardless of activity. They may also become depressed and go off their food. If it is KC, then a simple child's cough suppressant will help alleviate the cough. Rest and plenty of fluids is also warranted.

Incidently, I have never had a Vet prescribe antibiotics for KC.

Thanks for the replies. Coughing progressed to goose honking (for want of a better description) this morning so we went off to the vets. Diagnosis is an inflamed trachea - mild KC. Lymph nodes are normal and his appetite is still good. I have cough syrup for him and if he worsens in the next few days vet will dispense ABs. He's had a very quiet day rugged up in his jacket as its still winter here in Perth unlike the rest of oz.

I will definitely get some honey in him too but just a little bit. He also suffers from eosinophilic IBD and he's already on metrogyl at the moment from a flair up earlier in the week. Would rather not exacerbate the gut/bowel to add to his troubles!

Clearly you're a good sort AF, I swear he doesn't try to jump in just anyones car! ;)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the thread PG and apologies for the minor highjack - I have a vet appointment at 5 this afternoon - Sarah, my 8 year old westie, has developed a hacking cough last night and dry retched twice (bit of mucus) - she didn't settle until about three this morning :dummy::walkdog:

Otherwise she is a little quieter, but still alert, happy and wagging her tail - and I think it would take a nuclear attack to put her off her food! But she also has a clear watery discharge from her nose...

She has had a couple of raw bones of late. So if its not mild KC, the only thing I can think it might be is a scratched oesaphagus from a bone (she tends to hoover) or an allergic reaction of some kind.

But if it is KC, I'm blowed if I know where she picked it up? She is C3 vaccinated (I think it was C3 - will check tonight) And depending on incubation period, I'm a bit worried she might have had it and spread it around or picked it up at the last Adelaide DOL meet? Is this likely to be a problem for other dogs at the meet?

Like PG, I have no experience with KC so any advice really appreciated.

Thanks

Westiemum :)

ETA the last Adelaide DOL meet we were at was 30 August if that helps.

Edited by westiemum

Thanks for the replies. Coughing progressed to goose honking (for want of a better description) this morning so we went off to the vets. Diagnosis is an inflamed trachea - mild KC. Lymph nodes are normal and his appetite is still good. I have cough syrup for him and if he worsens in the next few days vet will dispense ABs. He's had a very quiet day rugged up in his jacket as its still winter here in Perth unlike the rest of oz.

I will definitely get some honey in him too but just a little bit. He also suffers from eosinophilic IBD and he's already on metrogyl at the moment from a flair up earlier in the week. Would rather not exacerbate the gut/bowel to add to his troubles!

Clearly you're a good sort AF, I swear he doesn't try to jump in just anyones car! :walkdog:

I just wanted to say that your pooches are adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i have nothing useful to say besides that!

Thanks tons PRS - I was more concerned that she may have had it spread it around inadvertently at the DOL Meet - so good to know thats unlikely - given I wasn't sure what the incubation period of KC is. And thanks for the vaccination info - have just rung the vet and she had a C5, not a C3 in late January this year (Getting old and the memory's going!). I must admit with all the discussion about whether or not to vaccinate and if you do to C3 or C5 I get a bit confused. I vaguely remember the vet advising because of the parvo around Adelaide at the time that he thought it was wise to vaccinate so I did.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Westiemum :walkdog:

It is not likely that she picked it up at the DOL meet as the time frame is too long. Incubation is anywhere from 3 - 10 days.

If she is C3 vaccinated then she is not vaccinated against parainfluenza or bordetella.