Shiba Inu

Guest english.ivy

They are a lovely breed but can be a problem with other pets especially smaller ones. They are not hard to train but do have an air of "well if it suits me to do it I will". I had one for about 15 months but ended up rehoming her as she caused too many issues with the other household pets the last straw being when she tore open my old Papillon's shoulder in an unprevoked attack. She was a lovely girl when it came to people and always got so excited to see her breeder. While I miss her I don't miss the upsets she would cause with the other furkids and to keep her she would have spent her life separated from the rest of the household. I like all my pets to be able to live happily together so that they can all be with me when I'm home. After discussion with her breeder she was rehomed to a Shiba breeder just short of her title.

While I love the breed I don't think I would risk getting another as all the Shiba books mention that they can be a problem in this regard. This was a concern when I first got her but was hoping that getting her from a pup that it would not be an issue with other family members.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it this way. All the pros and cons of owning a shiba can be found in many other popular breeds. Yes, they have a high prey drive, so do a lot of terriers. Poor recall, same as most spitz breeds. Can be dominant with other dogs, so can a lot of bull breeds. As long as you are prepared for the cons and can take steps to minimise or prevent them then any breed shouldn't be a problem to own.

Hello

We have 4 Shiba Inus. One Red Male, One Red Female, One black female and one female pup. They are great dogs to have, they do get bored easy so plenty of toys and things to do. My red female used to love eating out of the same bowl on the floor with my parrot. She also got along with my parents cats. Shibas are very clean and hate getting dirty. They can love the beach and water but start them off when they are young. Shibas love doing there own thing, they come to you on their terms.

They are hunters and if left of on the lead, they can run and they will keep running.

We had our last litter in October and the next one will be around August 2010.

We have 7 dogs in total, they hang out together. They love chasing the sprinkler and doing flips in the air, picking up balls for us to throw, picking up shoes and making grunting noises with their bottoms wiggling. They are an amazing dog to have, an ancient high spirited Japanese breed.

Who neeeds TV when you've got a Shiba! :laugh:

We just got home from 2.5 weeks in Japan and saw quite a few. Was seriously considering if that would be our next dog as very cute and we are used to aloof breeds having Sharpei.

The best Shiba we saw was in a tiny restaurant in Hakuba where the dog was tied to a very very long lead which I guess is in case she bolted out the door when someone came inside. Health inspectors would have had a coronary seeing it wander in and out of the kitchen and some of the patrons were a bit concerned but she came and sat with us (probably because we had food). She would let my husband pat her but hardly anyone else in the restaurant was allowed and she would shy away.

We were naughty and fed her tit bits under the table (ie carrot and mushrooms) and she had the most gentle mouth I have ever seen on a dog. With such a beautiful face you couldnt refuse her anything.

I told the chef we wanted to pack her up and take her home with us and he just laughed!!

Edited by daisygirl

(I have heard they like escaping)
Noooo! Whoever told you that lie? *goes off to delete thread about her dogs escaping...* :laugh:

The day my first Shiba got his title was actually the first day he proved his catlike features and that he too had nine lives!

He escaped from the yard just before we were ready to leave for the show. We discovered him on the main road, happily running down the centre, leaping the white lines end-to-end! He was absolutely oblivious to the chaos he was causing and luckily couldn't read my mind or he would have kept running! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
catzatsea, where are you, I'm seriously going to steal your dogs......... :laugh:

hehe I can tell you get me on the right day and you are welcome to them :( Seriously we used to be in Sydney and now out SW NSW on acerage :love: .

I should pull the papers out as the boy hiding the bone is titled and I think Glendalin breeding :)

My Mum also has a Shiba and he definitely is a character and a half as well :) .

Someone asked about cats, I have two and dont have a problem at all but the Shibas do have rules in place and demand that they are are followed and respected :( , I nickname the younger fella the Manners Police ;) My cats are definitely more dog like then the Shibas :laugh: