Bed Wetting

pete cassidy

Hi Folks, Just recently our 14 week Cav has taken to wetting in its bed. For instance today he was out and about with ample opportunity to go "Potty" which he did not do...then after about 2 minutes of being in his cage and sleeping quarters he peed on the blanket.

Does anyone have any idea's why he should start doing that, he doesn't mind his cage etc and has never made a fuss when in it. He will do a similar thing outside, he will pee 6 inches from his area to pee in the home, fortunately we have tiled floors so its not a drama and we never ever tell him off about it. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a cure.????

Thanks PC.post-31087-1253615219_thumb.jpg The phantom piddler.!!

Could he be confused? Where is he from?

I would not be encouraging him to have a place to pee inside. Outside is for toiletting. I think letting him pee indoors will just confuse him in the long run. When you take him outside, try not to bring him in until he has gone to the toilet.

I would not be encouraging him to have a place to pee inside. Outside is for toiletting. I think letting him pee indoors will just confuse him in the long run. When you take him outside, try not to bring him in until he has gone to the toilet.

You are right about outside for toileting however, we live in an upstairs apartment and outside is concrete and he hasn't had his last injection yet.....

PC

You are right about outside for toileting however, we live in an upstairs apartment and outside is concrete and he hasn't had his last injection yet.....

PC

He is from Brisbane

Why not try laying some fake grass on the balcony? Or you could use the PetLoo. So it's technically outdoors since he has to go out a door? I lived upstairs as well and that's what I did. Worked really well for me and there wasn't a problem getting him to pee on real grass outdoors after his vaccination as well.

Why not try laying some fake grass on the balcony? Or you could use the PetLoo. So it's technically outdoors since he has to go out a door? I lived upstairs as well and that's what I did. Worked really well for me and there wasn't a problem getting him to pee on real grass outdoors after his vaccination as well.

Thanks Luffy4688, We did try that early in the proceedings but he tended to have great fun chewing it up, but as he is a little older now I will give it another go to see what happens. I will let you know if it is a success Thanks for the input.

Regards PC.post-31087-1253633181_thumb.jpg Here is the little monkey.

Sorry, I meant is he from a breeder or a pet shop? Puppies are naturally clean and normally won't mess in their beds, but pet shop puppies live in such cramped conditions that they learn to toilet anywhere - including where they sleep. :( So people who buy pet shop puppies often have a much harder time toilet training them.

Your puppy is gorgeous and I like the idea of the fake grass.

Our Cav did this probably 4 or 5 times when he was around that age. We had the washing machine going pretty steadily at home. We always encouraged our boy to go outside, but when confined inside (the laundry while we are at work) we laid down newspaper. He used that for a while, and now just holds it in all day (sometimes 8 hours!!!!). We just stuck to our routine and it just seemed to click after a while. Don't miss toilet training to be honest. It is great just sitting around the house and not worrying what he is doing every minute he wasn't confined.

Do you line the crate with paper??? If so the puppy might be associating the paper with something ok to pee on. My youngest is nearly 4 mths and she also pee'd in her crate on any bedding...injury to insult if she could access the other dogs crates she'd pee on theirs too :love: I must say it came to a stage where I didnt change her bedding as soon as pee'd on it. I did this for a 36hr period ...little Miss spoilt was like :( no clean bed!!!!! She stopped this habit from that moment, she learnt you pee on your bed you may get to sleep on it.

Sounds like all great points and advice from others.

I think you need to go back to basics, and remember that everytime puppy is able to urinate in the house/crate, you are essentially teaching him to urinate in the house/crate. So, you need to plan things better and be super vigilent. Do not allow it to happen. Be prepared and always "set yourself up for a win".

Remember, all mistakes puppies make are our mistakes. Think laterally and I am sure with the help of all the great posts here you will come up with the reason it is happening and how to fix it.

You may even find that puppy's crate is too big??

Best of luck. :(

Do you line the crate with paper??? If so the puppy might be associating the paper with something ok to pee on. My youngest is nearly 4 mths and she also pee'd in her crate on any bedding...injury to insult if she could access the other dogs crates she'd pee on theirs too :thumbsup: I must say it came to a stage where I didnt change her bedding as soon as pee'd on it. I did this for a 36hr period ...little Miss spoilt was like :D no clean bed!!!!! She stopped this habit from that moment, she learnt you pee on your bed you may get to sleep on it.

Lol. That's an interesting method. :rofl:

Thanks Luffy4688, We did try that early in the proceedings but he tended to have great fun chewing it up, but as he is a little older now I will give it another go to see what happens. I will let you know if it is a success Thanks for the input.

Regards PC.post-31087-1253633181_thumb.jpg Here is the little monkey.

You're more than welcome. :D I'm not very experienced, I'm a 1st puppy owner myself to a 3 month old puppy. It's all from personal experience. He's so far got it to a point where he scratches the balcony door when he wants to toilet. :rofl:

He did try to chew on the fake grass as well, but he grew out of it after a day or 2. The next time he makes a mistake indoors, you could try to absorb some of the pee up with a paper towel and put it underneath the fake grass. The smell should encourage him to pee there. :thumbsup:

Edited by luffy4688

I use a toilet word such as 'wee wees' when I take the girls out and they usually do it on command. Also, taking them out frequently (eg. after a meal, after a nap, after play time or every couple of hours) can help with routine until they pick it up for themselves. Treating and lots of praise after a wee I found also helped. My youngest used to wee on her bed and I just gave a firm 'no' then took her straight outside to recognise that outside was the place for her business and that has worked for me.

They all get there sooner or later, just lots of patience :D Its good that he is now pawing at the door when he needs to go out! He is a little cutie! However, I am a little bit bias with Cavaliers :rofl:

Edit cos I cant spell! :thumbsup:

Edited by Bellatrix