Bell Training?

Hey All,

I have recently decided its time to bell train our dogs... They never bark to go out or whinge or scratch, just sit silently at the door waiting. It would be much easier for all of us if we introduced the bell!

Yesterday I went out and bought a bunch of bells and have attached them to some twine... But now what?

I have an almost 4 year old poodle x rescue and an almost 3 year old maltese x rescue (who is most likely of the bunch to be afraid of the bell!) who are 100% toilet trained.... and I have a 6 month old Pom who is 80-90% trained (I say this because if she cant get outside IMMEDIATELY she just goes on the floor at the door.)

Questions...

-How do I go about training 3 different dogs to use the bell when they all go out at the same time?

-What do I do with Frankie who is likely to be scared of the bell at first?

-Do I ring the bell for them? Or do I somehow encourage them to ring it themselves?

-Any other techniques?

They are all pretty intelligent and all tend to pick things up quite quickly, especially if there is a treat involved and all shake hands on command (if this helps?)

Any help/tips advice much appreciated!

BB :rofl:

You probably won't need a cue word specifically, otherwise they may not ever ring it unless you tell them to.

With your scaredy dog I would try ringing the bells muted by a tea towel and see which of the ones she reacts to the least. Here is a step-by-step for you. :vomit:

Clicker solutions- ring my bell.

Where the article says 'click' you could say 'good' or 'yes' in a happy tone, if you want to use a clicker by all means do that but you'd need to do a little session with each dog doing a single click followed by a treat for however many repetitions it takes each dog to look at you expectantly when they hear the clicker. ;)