Aussie Or Toller

kiesha09

I do agree with you there Aziah.

That reminds me re varying personalities, keisha, if you do decide to go with an Aussie, try and check out the lines you want before you pick a litter to get a pup from. Some can be full on while others more chilled out. Holly is a more chilled Aussie, which I am grateful for being my first Aussie and all, but for my next I wouldn't mind one who is a bit more full on. I may regret saying that one day though. :thumbsup:

ETA: The open day at DOGSA was a great day last year. :rofl:

Edited by Lyndsay

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the info Ptolomy. Your Tollers look gorgeous :) and clearly its not possible to stop at one ;) :thumbsup:

It sure is a tough decision. Maybe one of each eventually :rofl::rofl:

Tollers don't do well with repetitative obedience training - usually if we get something right we stop there.

This is good since I don't do well with repetative training either :(

They won't even do an hours' class, more like 15mins then you need to pull. :)

They can also be really blonde and then suddenly catch on to something you've been trying to teach for ages. ;) I've had it really easy before, I had dogs who loved doing agility for the hell of it, Geordie makes me work very hard as it must be highly motivating for him. :eek:

As it says on the 'Top 10 reasons' list, if you want the Labrador "I love everyone, everything, want to play with every dog" Tollers are not that sort of dog. Geordie loves to play with the other dogs here at home but out and about he'd prefer to parrallel play and fetch balls etc.

They are a great breed though, very quirky. I admire Aussies too, they seem the most similar in size, coat type and temperament with some differences.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Hehe thanks guys!

Forgot to add Keisha since you're in SA too if you'd like to meet Zuma let me know - I'm happy to arrange something if you like :)

Rivsky I've already met Zuma at CBS! Just one of the trainers there who might puppynap him if you're not careful :(

Should organise an Aussie/Toller meet for kiesha. :rofl:

:thumbsup: Sounds like my kind of meet ;)

Aziah - Aussies definately aren't for everyone, but kiesha does sound more suitable than most. Tollers aren't for everyone either. There is occasionally a few Tollers out at shows here in SA too.

That's fine but I'm certainly entitled to make sure she's aware they can be extremely full and temperaments vary in a rather large way :thumbsup:

most breeds are like that :rofl:

OH another negative for tollers - some have the toller scream - sounds like the dog is being fed through a woodchipper and is usually heard when they are excited. Lucky for me only one of my is blessed with this little quirk :rofl:

I have had both an Aussie and a toller run into me while playing - I'd take getting knocked for 6 by a toller anytime. I think the Aussies are heavier boned and are more like a brick wall. :thumbsup:

Aziah - Aussies definately aren't for everyone, but kiesha does sound more suitable than most. Tollers aren't for everyone either. There is occasionally a few Tollers out at shows here in SA too.

That's fine but I'm certainly entitled to make sure she's aware they can be extremely full and temperaments vary in a rather large way :rofl:

most breeds are like that :(

Are they? That's nice, you're obviously back to knowing it all then! Don't bother replying to my posts...I'm not interested in your smart arse replies.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Aziah

Lyndsay thanks for all the health information etc you posted on Aussies. I did know about some of them but good to get an overview. Holly is a stunner!!! I'm a bit of an Aussie and Toller thread stalker so have seen lots of the pics.

I have noticed that they are noisy when they play, but then so are my two dogs that I already have. Whilst it does get tiresome occasionally its not something I'm overly concerned about.

What are everyones thoughts on grooming and bathing for both breeds. Eg how often, how much do they shed etc? I have two non-shedding dogs so already do a fair amount of grooming so its not really an issue but its always good to know.

I dont know anything about Tollers, except that they are stunning :thumbsup: , what are they like in general?

I see that they are mostly used as working dogs (gun dogs?)- so what are their temperament and exercise requirements?

Do they need lots of mental stimulation? Are they similar to Aussies?

Aussies do a major coat drop once or twice a year. There will be hair everywhere during this time. Obviously Holly is a predominantly light coloured dog and we have black tiles throughout our main living areas in our house. Not a good look! :thumbsup: Other than that they aren't TOO bad. I find the Labs or Goldens we have in at work are worse for shedding than Aussies, but the Aussies still drop coat. I prefer Holly's shedding to Poppy (my Bull TerrierX) who has short spikey hairs they are so hard to get off anything. At least Holly's come off.

For Holly, who is a show dog, I trim her feet and ears and then wash her before a show. That's it. For a pet I don't think you would need to bother with trimming feet unless they got really long, but around the ears should be groomed to keep it from matting. Behind the ears is the worst place for matts or knots in Aussies.

ETA: Between shows Holly doesn't get brushed unless she is dropping coat.

Edited by Lyndsay

That's fine but I'm certainly entitled to make sure she's aware they can be extremely full and temperaments vary in a rather large way :rofl:

Are they? That's nice, you're obviously back to knowing it all then! Don't bother replying to my posts...I'm not interested in your smart arse replies. can also get individuals within breeds with a great deal of variety.

wasnt actually, i have been around breeds that are full on,and got varied temps. even crosses. so was stating fact not a smart arse comment,that you thought i had.

Edited by Blitza

Are they? That's nice, you're obviously back to knowing it all then! Don't bother replying to my posts...I'm not interested in your smart arse replies.

wasnt actually, i have been around breeds that are full on,and got varied temps. even crosses. so was stating fact not a smart arse comment,that you thought i had.

Whatever, most (implying majority) breeds aren't that way but you keep on believin' whatever you think you know.

Now, I requested you don't reply to my posts, so perhaps you could use your intelligence and oblige...

Edited by Aziah

OH another negative for tollers - some have the toller scream - sounds like the dog is being fed through a woodchipper and is usually heard when they are excited. Lucky for me only one of my is blessed with this little quirk :)

I have had both an Aussie and a toller run into me while playing - I'd take getting knocked for 6 by a toller anytime. I think the Aussies are heavier boned and are more like a brick wall. ;)

I didn't know they screamed either! :rofl: Sounds lovely. What would the neighbours think! :(

From what I have seen of Tollers, Aussies do tend to have much heavier frames. Except my little midget. :thumbsup:

OH another negative for tollers - some have the toller scream - sounds like the dog is being fed through a woodchipper and is usually heard when they are excited. Lucky for me only one of my is blessed with this little quirk ;)

I have had both an Aussie and a toller run into me while playing - I'd take getting knocked for 6 by a toller anytime. I think the Aussies are heavier boned and are more like a brick wall. ;)

I didn't know they screamed either! :rofl: Sounds lovely. What would the neighbours think! :(

From what I have seen of Tollers, Aussies do tend to have much heavier frames. Except my little midget. :thumbsup:

I agree, the Tollers I've seen are much finer and of less height :)

Edited by Aziah

Whatever, most (implying majority) breeds aren't that way but you keep on believin' whatever you think you know.

Now, I requested you don't reply to my posts, so perhaps you could use your intelligence and oblige...

shall i say the breeds to give example that i have been around, i have grown up with dogs, i have also done animal care certificates , obviously those were waste of time since you seem to think i know nothing.

As you are quite aware you can get varied individuals among differant breeds with varied temps.

I know some bc's that are full on, and some that are quiet.

I know some gsds which are the same, shall i go on, these dogs i have been with including sibes.

I dont need to believe anything, as this is all what i have seen as they are my friends dogs!

shall i say the breeds to give example that i have been around, i have grown up with dogs, i have also done animal care certificates , obviously those were waste of time since you seem to think i know nothing.

As you are quite aware you can get varied individuals among differant breeds with varied temps.

I know some bc's that are full on, and some that are quiet.

I know some gsds which are the same, shall i go on, these dogs i have been with including sibes.

I dont need to believe anything, as this is all what i have seen as they are my friends dogs!

Do whatever you please, I don't want anything to do with you, you're a great aggrivation to me...leave me alone.

Edited by Aziah

OH another negative for tollers - some have the toller scream - sounds like the dog is being fed through a woodchipper and is usually heard when they are excited.

:thumbsup: I'm glad I'm not drinking coffee otherwise it would be all over my screen right about now :rofl::(

I didn't believe you that the cute little flufflball could be so noisy - boy did she prove me wrong! ;)

:thumbsup: my obedience training instructor was trying to convince me on getting a nova for my next dog back in 02 :( until i met spice the beautiful aussie, since catching my eyes on him i never looked back, know got 3 aussies :rofl: one who is quite full on . and the girls who are placid and will stay still for cuddles. Edited by Blitza

I have noticed that they are noisy when they play, but then so are my two dogs that I already have. Whilst it does get tiresome occasionally its not something I'm overly concerned about.

What are everyones thoughts on grooming and bathing for both breeds. Eg how often, how much do they shed etc? I have two non-shedding dogs so already do a fair amount of grooming so its not really an issue but its always good to know.

I have three aussies, we live on a farm and im not really into grooming. The dogs run thru the paddock and run in the dam and dont seem to have any problem with grass seeds etc. Im actually amazed how good their coats are and dont seem to have a strong dog scent. In fact the coat seems to be self cleaning. they dry, dirt falls off and then they come inside clean. Big change from after living with GSDs.

Mind you im not into showing so perhaps im not so fussy.

We have slate floors at home but carpet in the bedrooms and that is where the dogs sleep. My blue girl has a big heavy coat and she drops twice a year but it doesnt get everywhere. My two black tris dont seem to have much coat loss. I give them a quick brush about once a fortnight, mainly around the ears and on the skirt on the back of the legs. It is damm easy really.

I also in the boarding kennels. Have to say havent noticed any particular problem with the coats of other peoples aussie or the toller.

just to add what i said before, i have also done voluntary work at the rspca and worked as a kennel hand at a greyhound breeding racing and all breed boarding kennels.

So i have encountered all types of dogs.

I agree on the coats on aussies, i hardly to have wash mine. the dirt drops of them and i always surprise people to the fact they think they have been washed :thumbsup: , i dont show that often so got no need to wash them on a regular basis.I also brush them once or 2x a week. more so when they do coat drops.