Aussie Or Toller

kiesha09

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE :rolleyes:

Having lived in a house full of Aussies, no less than 3 at any given time and having shown them aswell, they are great dogs. Very easy to train and get along with all other animals. They would go and go and go while we were out and then either when they went to bed in their kennels or came inside they would settle down. All in all jusdt lovely dogs to be around.

saying this ive never had anything to do with tollers and am a hound girl myself :mad nobody could go past a whippet :laugh:

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since this thread started, I've addded another Aussie to the family.....from the same breeder as my girl but completely different lines. He is a sweetie and like the other two I own, laid back, easy to live with and so far hasn't chewed anything up.

Ok... My turn to vote... I vote Aussie :):thumbsup: (ok, a little Biased... hehe).

I'll tell you a little about my girl - Lottie has been my first dog, I knew I wanted something active (as I love going for walks/beach/runs/adventures etc etc) and I had always thought i'd get a border collie... then one day a friend got an Aussie and I'd never heard of them, I googled them and saw some photos and I was hooked!!! I loved the merle colour and that was it - I set out to find a blue merle bitch, and I can tell you, it's the greatest thing i've ever done!!! I have been SOOOO lucky with Lottie, shes quiet - except when playing as someone else stated :rofl: , I can leave her all day for uni, she knows that sleeping outside is ok as well (although this doesn't happen very often anymore :) ), is a very confident (has been since she was a baby) and happy girl, LOVES people - isn't reserved with new people at all really, loves all other dogs, is so very loyal to me, very smart (at only 8 months was in the top class at obedience), loves working and is such a dag!!! And she's just such a laid back dog - going to shows to watch she just sits and looks. she also LOVES watching the TV!!! hehehe. Well thats a little about her, but as others have said, do lots of research and you'll find a great new family member in either breed :rofl:

It's funny - the Toller is the dog that i'm really interested in as well, but I don't know too much about them!!!

How can you not love this face... hehe

Lot4-1.jpg

Toller # 6 arrives in 8 days time - a little man, Strauss, all the way from Norway and I can't wait :)

Aussies are on my wish list - after travelling with Bedazzled and her boy Brooklyn its hard not to fall in love with them. The two things that aren't on my wish list barking and I want a tail :)

Thats soooo exciting Ptolomy!!! Congrats - can't wait to see pics!!!!! :) They definately are beautiful dogs!!! When I first got Lottie - I was a bit upset about her not having a tail (mainly because I was so upset by comments that people made to me :rofl: Like I was a bad owner or something :) ), and I said i'd never get another without one (my sis also has a rotti, so we have 2 stumpy bums now :thumbsup: ), but now that she's older and she's got sooooo much bum hair! people actually don't realise she doesn't have one, hehe, but my next aussie will be tail-less now as well, her little stumpy bum has grown on me, I love it!!! hehehe

I have one with a tail and two wigglebums. Much prefer the wigglebums. Easier to groom the rear end and the pants look muchnicer without a tail flattening them. Plus Benson hates his tail being touched so it's hard to keep looking nice.

My Aussie has a big fluffy tail and is not a big barker (she does bark, but not much, she is more likely to whinge) :) She has to be the cutest little thing you could ever lay your eyes on...

But she is a naughty little so-and-so.... so it evens out :)

We have two tollers in our street who we see all the time. Our Aussie girl is very similar to their Toller boy in terms of temperament.

I think Mack Truck is how you described it!!!!! :laugh:

OH another negative for tollers - some have the toller scream - sounds like the dog is being fed through a woodchipper and is usually heard when they are excited. Lucky for me only one of my is blessed with this little quirk :)

I have had both an Aussie and a toller run into me while playing - I'd take getting knocked for 6 by a toller anytime. I think the Aussies are heavier boned and are more like a brick wall. :laugh:

What's a bit of hair in your soup?!!! Dog hair of course!!! Aussies have a dense undercoat and they do shed. Having said that I find grooming my Aussie much easier and less time consuming than my BC. His coat doesn't knot up and I can have him show groomed from bath to finish in under an hour. (Thats using a dog dryer of course) I would think Tollers would be easier to groom being lighter coated and a smaller dog overall. Both are terrific breeds...love em :laugh:

Lyndsay thanks for all the health information etc you posted on Aussies. I did know about some of them but good to get an overview. Holly is a stunner!!! I'm a bit of an Aussie and Toller thread stalker so have seen lots of the pics.

I have noticed that they are noisy when they play, but then so are my two dogs that I already have. Whilst it does get tiresome occasionally its not something I'm overly concerned about.

What are everyones thoughts on grooming and bathing for both breeds. Eg how often, how much do they shed etc? I have two non-shedding dogs so already do a fair amount of grooming so its not really an issue but its always good to know.

This thread has been around now for quite a long time, has the OP come to a decison yet?

I have three Australian Shepherds. I adore them, but i know they are not for everyone.

Please go and meet a handful of dogs from each breed before deciding.

Years ago we were deciding between an aussie and a toller as well!

No regrets about choosing an aussie though. I'm sure a toller would be great as well :laugh:

from what I have heard though, aussies are a little more trainable which is why we decided to go with them in the end.

Yes, i wonder what the final decision was?

AUSSIE!!!

Although I must admit I LOVE Tollers :laugh:

The only issue we have had with Lili is that she can be very wary of strangers. She isn't what I would call aggressive but if someone she doesn't know comes into her space she will bark and try and get away. It takes her a few meetings to warm up to people

Once she has, however, she is the cuddliest, snuggliest thing in the world!!!!!!!! You can't get rid of her! :laugh:

She is very active but we take her out once a day and play fetch as well and she's fine.