A Few Housebreaking Questions

puppyluvr

hi guys!

This is what I think crate training is. Am I correct?

1. Buy a good sized crate and get puppy used to the crate

2. Each hour take the pup to the place you want it to "Do it's bussiness"

3. Praise it if it does

4. Play with the puppy out of the crate for 15 min

5. put puppy back in crate

Continue with process

And another question is " If I was crate training my puppy would I have to get up each hour every night so my dog can be

housebrocken? Or is there another way to keep renforcing my puppy to go at night?"

Please answer

THANKS FOR HELPING!:rofl:

How long are you planning to leave the puppy in the crate? 45 minutes of every hour? Personally I don't like leaving a puppy in a crate for the vast majority of the day - they do spend a lot of it sleeping, but still.

As for night time - you'll probably need to get up once or twice a night if you go to bed around 11 and wake up at 6, more if you go to bed earlier/wake up later - at least for the first 2 weeks or so.

My golden retriever puppy could hold 6-7 hours overnight from about 10 weeks without a problem and at 14 weeks is more or less house trained - we still have the odd accident, maybe once or twice a week and usually at night - she doesn't like to go outside if the light isn't on.

We crate trained but only at night, during the day she's with us in whichever room we're in (some parts of the house have doors closed/blocked off with baby gates though - she doesn't have free run). When we go out and leave her home, she's left in the kitchen/dining area which is blocked off from the rest of the house, but she can go outside via the back door which has a doggy door.

That's just how we've done it, and so far it's working fine for us. With previous dogs we haven't used a crate at all so this time was our first time as well. We probably use the crate much less than others do, a lot is personal preference.

Use the crate when you cannot either supervise puppy, or leave puppy outside safely.

At night, a good idea is to have the crate in your room. Take puppy out to toilet immediately before bedtime, and set your alarm for 2am (you can make this earlier the next night if puppy wakes to toilet before then).

The next night, set the alarm for 2:05am. The following night, 2:10am etc until you are confident that pup will sleep through.

Yep what Aidan said the crates just for overnight and the times when you carnt watch the pup keeping it in a crate for 45 minutes in every hour is much to long. Also youll have to get up and toilet the pup in the night coz if you dont and it carnt hang on itll be forced to dirty the crate and thats not good.

hi guys!

3. Praise it if it does

Continue with process

And another question is " If I was crate training my puppy would I have to get up each hour every night so my dog can be

housebrocken? Or is there another way to keep renforcing my puppy to go at night?"

Please answer

THANKS FOR HELPING!:shrug:

That's what I had heard mentioned by different people and its interesting the different approaches on how to use the crate correctly.

I am about to get a pup and will be using a crate in similar way.

Only thing is the times we can watch pup it wont be in the crate and this way if we see the sniffing etc signs we will then take to the toilet and I think this is pretty well what you were trying to say. Of coarse your not going to leave the pup in the crate all day etc and I think you are on the right track.

Read some interesting points somewhere about when pup gos out take them to the door and make a tap or ring a bell attached somewhere. This is a good association for the pup and gives them a way of letting you know with out barking.

I also read and seen 2 different views about when pup cries in the crate and that is to leave the pup until he settles down. The other is when he cries take him out to the toilet as this is normal a sign. "Confused about this part of crate training."

Anyhow pup will be here in around a week, so I guess it will be see how we go.

and um... how long can they hold it at night? cause I'll know how to set my alarm :shrug:

There is no rule about how long they can hold on. Depends on how much they have drunk, bladder size etc etc

My last dog (giant breed) - bed at 11pm, woke around 2-3am and then again at 6am. This only lasted for a couple of days and it was me doing the waking at 2-3am. Left him alone and he would go through til about 6am.

Current dog - slept through the night from the start.

IMO waking the dog every couple of hours creates a routine rather than going when is needed. If the dog is crated in the same room as you then they will alert you.

and um... how long can they hold it at night? cause I'll know how to set my alarm :thumbsup:

Are you a light or heavy sleeper?

For the first week or so, with the crate next to the bed I knew I'd need to get up and slept fairly lightly - I'd wake up when I could hear Gypsy waking up and moving around in the crate which meant toilet time. I'd get up, call her out with me, she'd go to the toilet and then straight back in the crate.

After a while, now that she can hold it through the night, she wakes me up with a bark around 6am to let me know she wants out to go to the toilet. Obviously now that I know she can sleep through the night I'm not on 'alert' while asleep and can sleep normally again.

I did set the alarm just in case I didn't wake up - pretty much the same as Danois, although I never needed it as she always managed to wake me up. We ended up doing 1am, 3-4am, and 6am (when we got up anyway) for a while there - i.e. every 2 hours, then it dropped back to around 2-3am, and now she sleeps through.

In regards to how long the dog can go through the night - when my boy was 10 weeks I would take him 11;30am then 3am then 7 am.

From about 14 weeks he has gone through the night with no accidents. So I take him out at between 11 - midnight when we go to bed, then take him out straight away in the morning at 7-8am.

I think the key is we feed him at 6pm and no food at all after, (maybe just some treats in his kong), then no water after around 8pm.

If they are not taking anything in, they will not be inclined to go.

In regards to crating, I keep mine in the crate at night (hmmm, now he has moved to being on our bed though, because we wanted him there!), he is used to the create so when I drive I keep him in there and he just lays down, no barking or anything.

I am still learning and its such a fun process. Goodluck with it all!

I think maybe you've got the wrong end of the pineapple... crate training doesn't mean the pup stays in the crate at all time except when being toileted... The concept is that it's a small area for sleeping, and because a pup wont toilet where it sleeps, it helps to prevent accidents when you can't supervise.

We didn't set an alarm for Pepper. When she needed to go, she whined/ cried and we took her out. Didn't take long for her to sleep through the night.

Use the crate when you cannot either supervise puppy, or leave puppy outside safely.

Really? For most people this would mean that the puppy was outside of the crate for only a few hours....

I think most DOLers use the crate for night time.

Really? For most people this would mean that the puppy was outside of the crate for only a few hours....

I think most DOLers use the crate for night time.

I don't know what most DOLers do, but if it involves leaving an un-housetrained puppy unsupervised in the house for most of the day to pee on the carpet, it's not what I would recommend!

Perhaps I am not being clear on "supervised"? That means being in a position to notice if pup needs to go to the toilet. Not necessarily right by you, but able to check often enough to avoid too many accidents. Does that make sense?

hi guys!

3. Praise it if it does

Continue with process

Please answer

THANKS FOR HELPING!:laugh:

This is similar to what I did with Kei only I used a pen instead of a crate. (Crate at night time though).

For the first week or two he was either in the pen or right by my side. If I was outside he might spend an hour or two out in the yard with me or if I was sitting down watch TV same thing. But if he was out of the pen he was not out of my sight, and was taken out to the toilet avery 1-2 hours then praised and treated when he went.

I would not say that he spent ALL his time in the pen and most of what he did spend in there was done sleeping. I always made time for play and short training sessions but not at toilet time -that ALWAYS came first.

Gradually I allowed him longer periods on his own until he started to tell me when he wanted to go out on by himself. It took about 6 weeks until I could trust him not to pee on the carpet though :thumbsup: .

As for night time- I took him out to toilet before bed and then only took him outside again if he woke up on his own, then straight back to sleep again :thumbsup:

i agree with getting up every time pup stirs

it will only be a week or ten days before they sleep thru to six

providing you toilet at midnight

i tie the pup to mywrist ona lead

and have them sleep with me

the minute they shift i scoop and take to the yard

itd only happen round 2 or 3 and it was worth the cold waiting

the fewer accidents in the house the fewer bad habits to unlearn

the pup can still pee in the crate

some will pee near their bed and even on it no problems so just confining isnt the answer

if you dont care how long it takes for a pup to be trained the toileting on paper is reckon is better than having him crated

there will be inidividuals who learn very quickly and those who take a year

• 8 months later...

thanks everyone! but the puppy buying will be postponed for a while due to financial problems

we decieded to bring a puppy to our lives when we could cater for all its needs. In the mean time

i will keep on researching and studing. Thanks for everyone's advice :rofl:

*puppyluvr*

hi guys!

3. Praise it if it does

Continue with process

Please answer

THANKS FOR HELPING!:rofl:

This is a very quick way to toilet train the pup. However, you would have to be home all day and I don't persoanllly like locking them up for that long