In Need Of Behaviourist

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally avoid anyone who advertises themself as an amichien bonding trainer, if you can. IMO, good trainers have lots of tools in their toolbox. The few amichien bonding trainers I've met have only had one tool in their toolbox (amichien bonding), and seem to interpret most doggy misbehaviour as being caused by dominance and therefore fixable by amichien bonding. If you only have a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

JMO.

In the process of talking to Cosmolo about the issue, and have dropped the troublemaker at the vet to rule out medical issues. I know there used to be a bark-busters up here, but I have heard nothing but bad things about them.

The vet cleared out bladder infections and such, but said she's got high potassium which might indicate the she's not making some hormones? She's going back for another test of friday where they'll inject her with the hormone and retest her blood in a couple of hours and see what her body is doing. Can that kind of stuff cause sudden dog aggressiveness?

Over the last month or so:

She's been urinating more frequently 6 or 7 times a days when she's always been a 2 times a day girl

highly aggressive to our other dog, often out of nowhere

Lethargic (we'd put that down to the heat but she spent today in aircon and is still tired)

loosing visible weight, we can see her ribs but she still seems to weigh the same

She's been vomiting once or twice a day (which nobody bothered to tell me about until today!!)

and today she was incontinent on the carpet. She didn't even realise until afterwards and looked so ashamed. I put her straight outside where she peed again, then when she came back in she peed again while she was standing there getting pats. So also went in the car on the seat which she has never ever done. She's been 4 or 5 times since she's been home from the vet.

The vet says her potassium and electrolytes are abnormal and has ruled out bladder infection type things.

Thanks PandaGirl.

Apart from checking for bladder problems, did the vet run a full blood scan? Is she drinking more than usual? Has the vet checked for diabetes?

She's losing potassium due to losing too much body fluids. Potassium loss is very dangerous in humans, I would guess it might be the same for dogs. Has the vet prescribed Vitamin K for potassium loss?

Edited by Kelpie-i

I don't think a behaviourist is needed...rather a good vet ..it sounds to me like an imbalance ..and lord knows what else ...poor girl - she must be feeling rotten :laugh:

Hopefully the vet can find something!

Edited by persephone

I just feel so useless and horrible. I hate having to keep her separate from our other dog and the rest of the family. I hate knowing I've growled at her while she's been feeling so crap. It really only occurred to me last night that it might be medical, and then she had her accidents today. Because she doesn't show when she's hurting and it's not until she's really bad that she show signs of being sick it's so hard to know when something is really off or it's just in my head. She's eating normally, but she's still always hungry which we've always put down to worms but it doesn't really change even after worming her.

She always knows when I feel lousy, it makes me feel guilty that I can't always tell!

Thanks for your PM persephone.