Dehydrating Liver..................

pesh

Hi All

Never really thought of this before, but what dehydrated liver should be given to dogs?

Is there any real reason they can't have a mixture of lean dehydrated animal liver?

Yes, I'm talking about it as a training device, not a meal....

Thx for the help...................

Sharon

Edited by pesh

Did you know that most of the "Lambs Fry" sold at Woolworths and Coles is not in fact Lamb liver, it is Beef Liver?

Beef Liver is a lot larger and darker. Lamb Livers tend to be smaller and a slightly "greyer" colour.

I only ever buy Liver from a human butcher. If it is for me (Lambs Fry and Bacon - nom nom) then they look out the better shaped ones, if for the dogs, they'll just give me whatever comes to hand. Sometimes they've been cut accidentally or are misshapen but are still perfectly good.

I like to soak them overnight in milk, for myself OR the dogs too, it makes the flavour more uniform and nicer.

I have just purchased a dehydrator and was wondering if anyone has any tips for successful treats. How thin do you usually slice the liver? How long do you leave it in the dehydrator.? Do the treats store ok? I have tried using the oven before but treats never seem dried out enough and go off very quickly.

My OH makes his own jerky(for human consumption) regularly and his tips are :

Experiment cutting different thicknesses, he has a cheap meat slicer to do the job, and cuts at around 3-4mm, too thin and it ends up too crunchy, too thick and doesnt dry properly, hence does tend go off quicker

Slicing is much easier if meat still slightly frozen

For long term storage we cryvac or freeze small amounts

Ensure meat is cool before you bag it or you will get condensation and will go off quickly

Make sure you rotate the trays on your dehydrator during drying, makes things more even, also turning the meat occasionally helps

If you marinate your meat, let it air dry a little before putting in dehydrator, we use old oven racks and allow the excess liquid to drip on paper, just keep the furry ones away!

Timing is just a case of testing frequently, remembering it will dry a little on cooling

:D

Yard sales are great for buying bargain dehydrators, our last two were under $10 cheapies but work great

Our next experiment will be with some yellowfin tuna we caught a while back, will let you know how we go :rofl:

Bound to drive the hairy legged one mad as she loooves fish :)

Ellz, do you mean to tell me that if I buy Lamb's Fry from the supermarket, and make up a dish including bacon, mushrooms, onion and a brown gravy for ourselves that it is beef?. :D :)

If you are buying from the supermarket......the likelihood is VERY good that it is beef liver being sold as Lambs' Fry. Unless you specifically ask for Lambs' Liver from the butcher, most of the time you will be given beef liver.

i usually get about 2 kilos of chicken liver and just put them on the dryer trays the size they are, takes about 35 hours and when there done i freeze then in a container and take out what i need when i need it,

works out to cost $1.90. much cheaper then store bought liver and much fresher.

Wise move Hesa! :)

I've got my butcher trained well now. They know what I want and I get the most beautiful Lambs Fry for myself AND the dogs as well as an almost unlimited supply of yummy Lambs' Kidneys for myself as well.

I just LURVE kidley-didley cooked like Fry and served with mashed taters! :D